• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Agri-environment schemes (1 Viewer)

Simon A

Hi folks,

Whilst I haven't been in the UK for a while, I'm presuming that the decline of farmland birds is still one of the primary concerns of the RSPB, other conservation organisations and birders generally.

Given the amount of money that is channelled into on-farm conservation efforts via grant schemes, such as Countryside Stewardship, Environmentally Sensitive Areas and the (relatively)new Arable Stewardship options, has anybody noticed an increase in declining farmland birds (grey partridge, yellowhammer, linnet, tree sparrow, lapwing, etc, etc,) in an area where such management schemes are being implemented?

I'm supposing that the RSPB's voluntary farmland bird surveys are partially intended to monitor the situation, but am interested in hearing any anecdotal evidence that forum members may have.

Cheers,

Hi Simon A

The primary concern of the RSPB at the moment seems to be selling anything remotely linked to birds in their shops. Secondary to that are Bitterns and the improvement of habitat for them.

Coming from Breckland in Norfolk we are fortunate in having good numbers of Yellowhammers, Linnet, reasonable numbers of Tree Sparrow. Not too bad wintering numbers of Lapwing but low numbers of breeders. Also not too bad off for Tree Sparrow in this part of the world..

BTO Farnland birds....

Simon, you might like to try and get hold of the BTO News July - August 2002. It is a "BTO farmland bird research special issue" and has articles on:

Winter Farmland Bird Survey
Woodland Bird Project launch
Breeding Birds in the Wider countryside Report

One particular project at Lark Rise Farm (strated in 1999) gives details on two of the birds that you mention; Linnet and Yellowhammer both have maintained numbers.

BTO are very good at responding to e-mail and also good at answering the phone!! If you need addy/number let me know.

El Annie :)

Thanks

Hi Burhinus & El Annie,

Cheers for the replies - was very amused to read of the unrelenting corporate approach (I seem to recall being slightly overwhelmed by the 'product' at Titchwell a few years ago) - still if you're going to raise funds for conservation and research, you may as well go at it with undiluted vigour.

I'll definitely be in touch with the BTO regarding this one - it'll be intriguing to see if the various schemes are beginning to have the desired effect on bird diversity/abundance.

Thanks again from a rather cloudy Adelaide.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back