• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about ducks! (1 Viewer)

EdvardH

All photos from west coast Norway:

(1) I believe these to be wigeons. A little bit unsure since I can't see ant yellow band on the head of the male one. But it's maybe not suppoed to go that far back as to be visible from behind? And the female ones looks also "duller" than the drawings in my book. But I can't see what else it would be. (nov. 2013)

(2) This one confuses me also. At first I thought of the common eide because of the head. But colours doesn't fit in. Looking in my book, it sort of looks like a juvenile/female common scotor. But the three coloured (black, brown and white) head doesn't really fit. It is a poor photo. So I might be just stupid here! (nov 2013)

(3) Not the best of photo this either. But among this flock of mallards, there is one bird swimming to the right side of the photo which looks a bit off. Can anyone see which one that is? (sept. 2013)

(4) Is this a female mallard or a male eclipse one? Or something else? (july. 2013)

(5) Very poor photo (again) but what are these? (julu 2013)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 131117_brunnakke.jpg
    131117_brunnakke.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 131117_abd2.jpg
    131117_abd2.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 130907_oppetilhoyre.jpg
    130907_oppetilhoyre.jpg
    717.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 130723_stokkandeklips.jpg
    130723_stokkandeklips.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 130712_spannavannender.jpg
    130712_spannavannender.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 82
1 Wigeon
2 female Common Scoter (the face often looks that pale)
3 the result of some cross breeding with domesticated/farmyard duck
4 as 3
5 eclipse drake Mallards

#2 looks like female black scoter (also known as American scoter) that I see in Eastern USA, is that the equivalent of common scoter?

#2 looks like female black scoter (also known as American scoter) that I see in Eastern USA, is that the equivalent of common scoter?

Different kind according to my book. Melanitta americana vs Melanitta nigra. americana is only a rare visitor to Norway, so much less likely.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back