• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seen any Scandinavian Blackbirds? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I have had lots in my garden recently I think Thursday was full of them with a Song Thrush as well which was a nice surprise.

Only way to tell they are Scandinavian, is if they have Scandinavian rings on ;)

If you catch them for ringing, then some Scandinavian (and also some Russian) Blackbirds have longer wings than UK resident Blackbirds, but only a small proportion can be distinguished this way by careful measurement, most can't.

Only way to tell they are Scandinavian, is if they have Scandinavian rings on ;)

If you catch them for ringing, then some Scandinavian (and also some Russian) Blackbirds have longer wings than UK resident Blackbirds, but only a small proportion can be distinguished this way by careful measurement, most can't.

I did wonder when I saw the OP

A

Isn't it partially true for 1st-winter males? I seem to recall reading something that suggested they retained darker beaks for longer, but has this been completely debunked now?

Without measuring wing length, I'm sure the flocks of tame / knackered-looking blackbirds I saw on the Northumberland coast last autumn, with associated redwings, were in all probability Scandinavian!

Yes it's true of its winter males (having dark bills and brownish retained juv flight feathers), but not that because of these features they're from the Continent. As you say you need ringing info or in the hand measurements for that.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back