• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid focus wheel issue ! (1 Viewer)

niallo

Hi all

A mate of mine (and myself potentially) are considering purchase of 8x42 BR Ultravids (or perhaps 8,5x42 Swaros, but the Ultravids do present a neater package for travel etc.).

There is a rumour of an issue regarding the Ultravid focus wheel - loosening or something like that, not sure exactly. It was mentioned by a well known and reputable retailer of birding optics in the UK during a casual phone enquiry. He said he has had quite a few returned with this fault... !

We contacted 3 other UK main birding optics retailers who would be likely to sell quite a few Ultravids. They have had no Ultravids returned with faults (one mentioned that IF something does go wrong, Leica can be quite slow in their service, unlike Swarovski.... but that is a separate issue).

Is it likely that the retailer who first mentioned the problem was just unlucky ? Is there a quality issue ? Anyone heard anything about this ??? (Ther retailer in question is very reputable and I did not think it was a try-on to sell an 8,5 EL...).

Any info appreciated asap.

thanks

Not heard any reports of problems with Ultravid focusing Niall. I bought a pair of 8x42s about six weeks ago. The focussing at first seemed very slightly stiff/rough but this has disappeared with use.

However, there are frequent problems with the EL focusing, which tends to dry up. My 10x42s are being serviced for this now. The guy at Kay Optical, Morden, says he has had lots (including at least one pair of 8x32s) come in with this problem. As I said here recently, Kay are pro-Swarovski so I believe this to be true.

So picking Swarovski instead may not be the answer.....

Sean

hi Dogfish, thanks for your reply. Good to hear from an ultravid owner that all is ok, at least with your unit.
I heard the same thing about Swaro, and in fact checked it out recently with the Kay guy. He said that the newer 8,5 ELs have new/extra lubrication and do not suffer from the fault of having their focussing dry out. Also the newer 8,5 ELs have an improved Swarobright coating. He said one should watch out for this if thinking about buying second hand, or from a retail outlet where the turnover is not as brisk on these bins.

No perfect solution, choosing top end bins is mind boggling !

cheers
Niall

Just for the fun of it I rang Leica UK this afternoon, to see if they had Ultravids being returned with focus wheel problems. They said no and were very surprised to hear it. I did not want to say too much for obvious reasons, or name my source, but the guy in the service dept was adamant that there was no quality issue on the ultravid focussing wheel (in fairness, a couple of other retailers did say this too, it is just that "one" particular retailer that brought it to my attention..).

There may or may not be more to this than meets the eye...

Unless anyone has other info that in their experience they have, or heard of, focus wheel problems with the Ultravids, the likelihood is that there is not a specific issue with the focus wheel as such (although perhaps the odd "bad" one gets through, as in the case of any manufacturing process.

N

Hi niall.. I purchased a pair of 10x42 ultravids two months ago and I am pleased to say I love them, so far no problems at all.

John.

dogfish said:
Not heard any reports of problems with Ultravid focusing Niall. I bought a pair of 8x42s about six weeks ago. The focussing at first seemed very slightly stiff/rough but this has disappeared with use.

However, there are frequent problems with the EL focusing, which tends to dry up. My 10x42s are being serviced for this now. The guy at Kay Optical, Morden, says he has had lots (including at least one pair of 8x32s) come in with this problem. As I said here recently, Kay are pro-Swarovski so I believe this to be true.

So picking Swarovski instead may not be the answer.....

Sean
I have met no one who has been anything other than delighted with their swaro bins - as I am with mine. Swaro have a very good reputation with speed of service and I have heard (from a retailer, though) that Leica can be very slow - but it probably depends upon availability of spares and so forth.

scampo said:
I have met no one who has been anything other than delighted with their swaro bins - as I am with mine. Swaro have a very good reputation with speed of service and I have heard (from a retailer, though) that Leica can be very slow - but it probably depends upon availability of spares and so forth.

One reason InFocus do not stock Leica is (or at least was) slow servicing. I have been waiting 3 weeks for a Leica filter and have been told by Warehouse Express that I must wait another week, the delay being at Leica. (I would assume that WE are a favoured customer too.)

Note on speed of service: my Swarovskis have been away for just over 4 weeks now; Kay Optical estimated about four weeks. Not lightning quick, I'd say. But there's no doubt Leica has a poorer reputation for service.

Sean

dogfish said:
Note on speed of service: my Swarovskis have been away for just over 4 weeks now; Kay Optical estimated about four weeks. Not lightning quick, I'd say. But there's no doubt Leica has a poorer reputation for service.

Sean
And Nikon took over a week to estimate and now tell me that the lens hood on my scope is out of stock and they are waiting for a dlivery from Japan - could be two or more weeks. Seems like once they have our money they don't really worry about the rest?

niallo said:
hi Dogfish, thanks for your reply. Good to hear from an ultravid owner that all is ok, at least with your unit.
I heard the same thing about Swaro, and in fact checked it out recently with the Kay guy. He said that the newer 8,5 ELs have new/extra lubrication and do not suffer from the fault of having their focussing dry out. Also the newer 8,5 ELs have an improved Swarobright coating. He said one should watch out for this if thinking about buying second hand, or from a retail outlet where the turnover is not as brisk on these bins.

No perfect solution, choosing top end bins is mind boggling !

cheers
Niall

Do you know when Swarovski 8.5 El got that improved Swarobright coating and new/extra lubrication?

I have also heard of the problem with the focussing on the Ultravids (from two totally independant retailers) so think there may be an issue there. Though both retailers said that when they have spoken to Leica about it they've been told it is just on a few pairs and not a general problem.

"One reason InFocus do not stock Leica is (or at least was) slow servicing" - though it may be true that Leica are not the fastest I don't think this was really the reason.

postcardcv said:
"One reason InFocus do not stock Leica is (or at least was) slow servicing" - though it may be true that Leica are not the fastest I don't think this was really the reason.

I have heard several reasons from several InFocus salesmen, and there is a common theme or two. I heard twice that InFocus were unimpressed with the responsiveness of Leica to service issues. (Not honouring the guarantee when some binoculars flooded was one 'story'.) I heard once that the margin given by Leica (i.e. profit) was too small. I heard on another occasion that InFocus bought a large stock of Leica kit, and were hit badly (lost a lot of money) when Leica then lowered the RRP. That last story is at least consistent with the low profit margin story.

The problem is that these are all second hand 'stories' and you never know who started them and why. The low profit margin lineat least has the ring of truth about it.

I have had a pair of 8x42 ultravid for two months now and i am very pleased with them.When buying i compared them with Nikon Hgs and must admit the focus wheel was a bit notchey? compared with the Nikon.Had forgotten about it till this thread came up.Would be nice to compare with another pair to see if mine are good or bad.Even with a slightly notchey focus wheel i still think these are superb binoculars.

Perhaps Manufacturers could be invited to a open chat on a specific day and we the users could give our opinion on their products and services?
Cuddy.

I purchased Leica's 8x42 Ultravid over Swaro EL's specifically because I preferred the focus wheel on the Ultras to the EL model. They just seemed to me to come into focus much easier/quicker. It also seems to me that the minimum focus distance is actually somewhat less than the stated spec, mine are clearly in focus at around 8-9 feet. Maybe I got lucky? In any case I have NO regret about purchasing the Leica's and would unreservedly recommend them to anyone interested in purchasing a top shelf bin.
Paul Burgers
Sioux Falls SD

laika said:
Do you know when Swarovski 8.5 El got that improved Swarobright coating and new/extra lubrication?

No idea, and probably should have asked when I got the chance. The Kay Optical guy should be able to tell you.

Another reason I have heard from In Focus staff as to why they do not stock Leica was that the foccussing on the Televid scope incorporated the use of a rubber band in the system! Incidentally, I have no axe to grind with Leica products. Two of my friends have Leica 8x42 BA's and APO Televids and both they and I rate the optics as excellent.

Clive

Last edited:
william j clive said:
Another reason I have heard from In Focus staff as to why they do not stock Leica was that the foccussing on the Televid scope incorporated the use of a rubber band in the system!

Clive

According to the cutaway diagram, the 'rubber band' looks more like a car's fan belt so unless you spin the focus wheel into the 'red zone' above 6,000 revs it should be OK!

"...unless you spin the focus wheel into the 'red zone' above 6,000 revs it should be OK!"

Lovely - brought a big smile to my face...

I should think there are business reasons why In Focus don't stock Leica. I'd be surprised if their owner isn't on this forum but won't tell! They make extrordinarily good optics without doubt, but In Focus do sell both Zeiss and Nikon which, in my view, are at least the equal of Leica and, in the large scope department at least, of a more modern design.

Hi niallo

I was wondering what you were reffering to when you state "focus wheel problems"?

I have a pair of Ultravids which are to my eyes superb.

regarding the focus wheel.......yes!!!! The wheel does have slight play which is apparent when the wheel is being turned in one direction and then immediately turned the opposite. I can detect this slight nil focus section in between the two focus movements.

Others have had a similar experience and has been mentioned on this site.

I am more than happy with the Bins though as this does not detract from my viewing in any way.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back