• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with Norfolk targets (1 Viewer)

BrianA

Hi
new to the forum and looking for tips for sites in Norfolk
target list: Nightjar, Honey Buzzard, Montagu's Harrier.
i know they're sensitive sites but three birds i'd like to see during my next trip to Norfolk if anybody can help with site details.

Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I can't help you but hopefully, some one from your side of the pond will respond shortly ;)

thanks for the welcome guys....just been to Rainham for the white tailed plover...lovely bird showing well. First Mega for me and on the local patch, can't be bad.
I think i've been spoilt lately as i can't remember my last dip (save the five Hoopoe i've gone for this year)

Last edited:
Nightjars in Norfolk

Hi.

Welcome to the excellent Birdforum.

I have just returned from North Norfolk and saw on two nights a nightjar on Salthouse Heath. There were others chuuring on the other side of the road which i could not see.

Happy hunting.

Richard

Hi
new to the forum and looking for tips for sites in Norfolk
target list: Nightjar, Honey Buzzard, Montagu's Harrier.
i know they're sensitive sites but three birds i'd like to see during my next trip to Norfolk if anybody can help with site details.

Hi Brian.

Provided the weather holds you stand a fairly good chance of seeing Honey Buzzard at the Swanton Novers raptor watchpoint. It is on a minor road between Fulmodeston and Hindolveston (TG011302).

Nightjars can be found on several heaths in North Norfolk and the brecks. The often given site is Salthouse Heath. From the village of Salthouse on the NN Coast head south until you reach a cross-roads. Park up anywhere near here around dusk and you should hear, and hopefully see Nightjars.

As for Montagu's harrier, your best bet is to hope for a flyby at Titchwell unless you find someone on your travels who is prepared to offer more info.

Good luck,

James

Thanks guys. Salthouse seems a good bet i was up there earlier in the year for snow bunting. I'll give it a go but it's a 3 hour drive so i'll have to make a day of it and try the buzzard watchpoint too and who knows somebody may help with the Montys news while i'm up there. Up to Lakenheath at the weekend which is half way to Salthouse so who knows although i have heard there is a good Nightjar pach near there so i may try that.
let u know how it goes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back