• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Dandelion chips' (1 Viewer)

You can get them off e-bay. It's known as AF Confirm chips. The better ones are from "James Lao" which can be programmed to your requirement such as aperture and focal length so that any camera with body built in stabiliser can still work well.

Some cheaper chips which will work fine for Focus confirm are as low as US$8 shipped.

Hi Thorn - i got all my FC chips ( already on the adapters ) from big_is

Some were straight FC adapters, and some were EMF ( so called dandelion ) FC adapters. I have both types.

Musoman, you are a genius. That FC adapter cost no more than the FC chip itself. I did look at my M42 AF Confirm adapter and tried prying it loose but haven't tried hard enough to get it off. Seems a little hard when trying to loosen the glue around the chip area. I don't think that chip can be re-programed.

I couldnt be bothered with messing around trying to glue chips in the right place, and it is very critical measuring and a complete pain in the butt.

Its so easy to buy an Adapter already chipped, so i gave up on the DIY option. I only tried it once and threw it away ;)

I have Pentax > EOS and M42 > EOS and Tamron > EOS chipped adapters here. and one M42 > EOS especially for my scope , but it doesn matter about which lens mount, as long as it has EOS body mount, because its expoxied on to my MAX dslr

Last edited:
The DIY part are one of the most fun part...at least for me. But anyway, the chipped adapter are quite cheap.

I ordered some of those (3, with template) and got them in just over a week, glued them on and they work perfectly - wouldnt do without them now.

tbc - IIRC the chips took about a week, maybe a day or two longer, not long enough for me to start fretting, anyway. I guess that was from China to the US.

I received confirmation that the chip was shipped on 06 Sep 2010 but yet to arrive. That's why I am asking. Thanks for the reply.

tbc

Hello I am trying my new ed 80. I was doing all in manual. My dandelion chip with the adaptor has arrived. What is usual the programming for this, f7.6 like the scope? Do I need too, to programme the focal distance in 600 (or 1200 with the barlow)? When it is programmed can I use af-s mode?

Hi Moncho, and welcome.

To answer your questions in turn:

1. I'm using f/7.6 as the nearest to f/7.5 that dandelion allows.

2. I programmed in 600mm; the chip won't know if you are using a barlow or not, so it will always show 600. If you use a teleconverter with electrical contacts it may or may not show the correct focal length.

3. Not sure what you mean by AF-S mode. AF-S is a function of the lens, so you won't have any AF capability at all. You will be able to all modes - M, A, S, P - as well as matrix metering, center-weighted, and spot - at least, on Nikon you will.

I think I know what he means. To reiterate.

1/ yup, programme to nearest f stop value (7.5)

2/ It is worth programing the focal length as if you use a reporting Teleconverter, the focal length and F stop will be reported in the EXIF of the image. I know this works with my D90/D7000 and Kenko PRO 1.4 TC. this means you could use a filter in Adobe photoshop Bridge to know which shots you took prime and which ones with a TC.

3/ AF-S - I presume means Auto Focus Single shot. By default these chips report as an AF lens so with my D90 and D7000 I can use 'Focus trap' with the camera (works ok with my D90 and sometimes with D90 + TC, however, does not work with the D7000 but does with a TC sometimes !!!)

Figured out why I was not getting 'focus trap' prime with my D7000.

I wondered why I could not set either AF-S (single shot), AF-C (continous shooting) and AF-A (auto), or select focus ponts between single and multi auto with just a AF Chipped bayonet connector but I could with a TC in between. I basically measured all points of my chipped connector and my 1.4 TC and found the locating hole was only 1mm on the chipped connector but 1.6 - 2mm on the TC and other lenses. So I then carefully drilled the notch on the chipped connector to 2mm and that worked, I now have full AF-S focus trap shooting prime. Dont know why it worked anyway on the D90 but it seems that the hole must be about 1.5mm deep for the D7000 to recognise a AF lens (even though emulated)

On my dandelion chip one of the brass pins falls off (i couldnt find it), so now is not working :/ I´d contacted jifinance and said that is not possible to repair and offer a disscount on a new one (no warranty and it have less than 2 months)

Any suggestions??
Regards!

On my dandelion chip one of the brass pins falls off (i couldnt find it), so now is not working :/ I´d contacted jifinance and said that is not possible to repair and offer a disscount on a new one (no warranty and it have less than 2 months)

Any suggestions??
Regards!

I guess you can only take up his offer and order another set to try.

Hi guys,

I have just purchased a set of T-adapter and glued a new Dandelion chip on, I found that the pics now are worse than my previous chip.

The subject is much less contrasty, the shutter fires even when they are not in focus unlike previous chipped adapter. There seems to be a problem of front or back focus issue. I am not sure if adjusting back to camera's default settings played a part to this new problem. I have flocked the internal of new adapter too.

Any suggestions welcomed.

tbc

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back