• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

kowa 824 dislodged prism repair (1 Viewer)

dipped

Disaster struck this morning when my scope fell over in strong winds.

Apart from cracking the eyepiece housing area it has partially dislodged a prism internally such that a crescent is only viewable with the eyepiece off.

Otherwise the scope is fine and I can still see an image and focus.

Does anyone know if I can get into the prism housing somehow to put the dislodged prism back into position.

I reckon I could glue the crack up.

Thanks for any help.

Try ringing the optics engineer at Cleyspy Ltd. (Maurice) for advice....he has done repairs on 820 series Kowas before, however I would imagine that the pressured gas inside has escaped thus rendering your telescope as not water or fog proof. Insurance job? Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I rang Kowa UK but they said they would need to inspect it before they would quote a repair price. Unfortunately it wasn't insured yet...

I was thinking it was a Kowa job due to the cracked housing which I presume an independent wouldn't have.

I think I saw a Kowa disassembled on Ebay once which would give a clue how they come apart.

Yes I think the Nitrogen may have leaked or some of it anyway.

I wouldnt apply any glue,epoxy or anything ..chances are that a drop could leak through,into a prism,or who knows where....Just send it to kowa,and let them fix it...it is too nice a scope to have it fixed half way,..

You might remind Kowa that this isn't the first 824 to crack the case at the EP in a tripod topple.

Kowa changed to a fiber reinforced plastic in an effort to reduce weight on the previous TSN scopes. But their inability to take tripod topple is the main reason people fell away from the Kowa 823/4 after they'd done such a good job with the (heavier and metal tubed) TSN-3/4. They went back to Mg tube in the 883/884.

A "mention" of this known issue might get you some slack in the repair costs. After all a tumble like this is going to happen to everyone sooner or later (hopefully on grass) but the tube shouldn't break and the prisms shouldn't fall off their mounts.

Last edited:
Yeah thanks guys it is too good not to have it fixed and I'll try and see what Kowa can do for me. I will mention that some manufacturers fix things for no fee also.

The UK has a new Kowa importer so it may be of interest as to how I get on.

Yes...Kevin points are good....The kowa 824 is also known for getting a bit loose in the joint tube/prism..so maybe the build of the scope is a bit weak.
Good Luck,and please,let Us know what happens

Okay so the scope arrived at Kowa's new distibutor, Alpha Digital Services on the 10th and then went to Glasgow for repair by the Technicians who act on their behalf, for assessment.

I found this out by ringing on Tuesday and was told a repair estimate would be in the post shortly as the scope would have been in Glasgow the day before (Monday 14th).

Rang again yesterday (Friday), as I hadn't received anything and was told they would find out what was happening and ring me straight back which they did.

It turns out the scope needs a couple new of parts (I knew the housing was cracked), and these may be available in Germany from ?Kowa's German distributor. So the Technicians have emailed them and are waiting to hear back. If they don't have them they will have to come from Japan! Oh dear could be a long wait.

The technicians are waiting till they get the parts before they quote me a total repair bill. If it wasn't for the new parts I would have had an estimate by now.

I have found the staff at Alpha D.S. friendly and helpful though there has been no communication from them unless I have contacted them. eg there was no acknowledgement of receipt of the scope though I knew it had arrived. I've always been able to get straight through on the phone to find out what's happening.

I believe Alpha are going to try and chase things up on Monday to see what's happening in Germany - how long does it take to look on a shelf and send an email? - so watch this space.

In my mind the repair bill is rising all the time...

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. £112.61 inc. VAT and return postage.

Got the call today so about 2 weeks since I sent it in. Will take about 7-10 days from when they get the parts from Germany. Not sure exactly when the parts from Germany will come as they may come with a bulk order or as special separate delivery. No doubt would have been quicker if it hadn't needed new parts.

I think I will be using a heavier tripod in windy conditions in future!

I suspect there a bit of a "we really should have tested tripod tumbles" discount built in. I suspect the new part is the enclosure given the crack.

Good to see it's not going to cost too much. And you get a nice waterproof scope when it's fixed!

I just rang up Alpha Digital Services (ADS), and it transpires the parts are not available in Germany and do have to come from Japan after all. Somehow I have been misinformed.

There has been a delay due to the earthquake and they should be coming on a flight from Japan on the 9th April.

I can't understand why I was told the parts were coming from Germany in the first place.

The scope arrived at ADS on the 10th February so its been a while. I can't help thinking it has taken an awfully long time to determine the parts weren't in Germany and to get them from Japan. I would have expected them from Japan before the earthquake.

I believe ADS have more parts and product knowledge for the current range of Kowa so there might be a quicker turnaround service for them, though this doesn't help me.

Needless to say I am not impressed with the service received so far.

To cut a long story short ADS got the wrong part from Germany after all. It was the end part for a Kowa 823 (angled).

There are no parts for the 824, and as they wouldn't consider changing the whole body housing and making it an 823, the scope was returned unrepaired but unscrewed where the rotating collar is.

So I now know how to take it all apart as I had to get into the housing to glue the loose prism - it is too good to scrap. At present it is all glued up and seems to work fine though I have put a request in to ebay for the part that cracked.

Now I am being ultra cautious when I use it!

Nice to see a local Woodchat Shrike this pm, the first time I've used it since fixing it up.

Bummer but I'm glad you've got it back in one piece: there is a fun feeling that comes along with seeing a good bird with a bodged together piece of kit.

I would expect that the 824 to 823 conversion would require another 45° prism/mirror so its not just changing the housing part.

This also rather reduces that second hand value of 824 scope given the housings are now no longer available for a "tripod tumble" fix. How many 823 bits do they have left?

I would expect that the 824 to 823 conversion would require another 45° prism/mirror so its not just changing the housing part.

This also rather reduces that second hand value of 824 scope given the housings are now no longer available for a "tripod tumble" fix. How many 823 bits do they have left?

Yes you're right the conversion to an 823 would require another prism.

They've got the end part that cracks for 823's as spares and I tried to argue that they had the whole body housing for the 82 series scopes as they now make an 82SV which looks like an 821 but has an eyepiece mount for the current 66mm series scopes. In other words it should be possible to repair an 824 and make it an 823 but according to the repairer the attitude of the manufacturer is basically if it's broke get a new scope.

..You cant find a part for a recent model,HIGH END FLUORITE SCOPE that broke,and after two months they told You so?????????????????(I understand the delay for the quake,but still)..try Kowa USA..they were very helpful with some requests i did to them a couple years ago...I bet You they will send You the part..
Im not impressed either with Kowa in this one...You deserve the scope to be fixed at the price they originally gave You...HEY KOWA PEOPLE!!! WHAT THE HECK!

In other words it should be possible to repair an 824 and make it an 823 but according to the repairer the attitude of the manufacturer is basically if it's broke get a new scope.

I've heard this one before. The Kowa service in Europe really does seem to leave a lot to be desired. And that's, at least according to the people I spoke to, not the fault of the repairer, but rather the fault of Kowa Japan.

Hermann

Now for a good Kowa report. The first of the year I slipped on the ice with my 883 in its protected cover attached to the tripod. After the stars in the blue sky quit moving I found the scope lying separated from tripod. Damage was a small dent in the titanium, focus knob severely bent and Kowa also said they had to replace the prism holder. I had to wait but it came back looking and operating like new. They also ran an opics test. They said no charge, under warranty and they even paid for shipping it back to me. Thank you Kowa.

That is very good service from Kowa USA..I bought a Used 824 when i lived in the USA,and had some questions about the scope,so i called Kowa,and I thought they were the most easy to talk,open and helpful customer service I have dealt with..I was very impressed..They called me back when they had all the info I needed,and were super helpful..But that was Kowa USA..
The scope in question ,mentioned in this thread,being left unrepaired because the lack of parts,in a model that until very recent was their top of the line,Is totally unacceptable..A scope that expensive should be serviced by the manufacturer,for 20 years or lifetime,..If is Your fault that broke,You pay the repair and the part,but service shall be offered..IF there are no parts available,a solution shall be offered to the customer...

Josef...You said that it was a dent in "the titanium" of your 883..I believe You are talking about the scope body, but The 883 body is made of magnesium alloy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back