• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tried the new Trinovid today (1 Viewer)

Torview

I was luck enough to be the first person at South West Optics in Truro to try the all new Leica Trinovid today, it Had literally just arrived. It was a 10x42, I only used it from the shop looking at the streets around, it was a cold grey day. Lighter than the old model, styled similar to the Ultravid, nicely balanced, easy eye placement, sharp from edge to edge and bright especially given such a grey day. IMO it "looked" less expensive than the ultravid which I did not compare optically, I`m not a 10X fan but my brief look left me impressed, if I were in the market for an Ultravid I`d be holding off for a good test of these first at around a %20 saving. Looking forward to the new Zeiss Conquest which they told me would be with SWO this year.

Torview,

Thanks for that preview. You wrote: I was luck enough to be the first person at South West Optics in Truro to try the all new Leica Trinovid today.

But you only posted comments on the 10x42 model. From what you wrote above, it sounds like they also had the 8x42, but you only got to try the 10x42 for some reason....

The biggest revelation is that the new Trinnies are sharp "edge to edge".

Reports about edge sharpness in Leicas seem to vary more than just about any other bin I've read reviews on. You have one person reviewing the same bin (10x50 Ultravid), saying that sharpness starts to fall off at 60% out, and then allbinos saying that it's sharp to 95% out. Huh? Even with differences in accommodation for field curvature, that's still a big difference.

So please tell us more about this aspect. Did you bring an object toward the edge and see how far from the center it started losing sharpness or was this just your general impression?

Brock

They only had the 10x. I just moved sales literature in a shop window opposite from centre to the edge, not a serious test I know but it stayed sharp to my old eyes. It was just a brief first look, also I have little experience of the old Trinovid. No doubt there will be some serious reviews soon, I just wanted to post my "buzz" in getting to try it so soon.

The new Zeiss Conquest will be with SWO this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!.............

It will be available in the next few weeks and it is stunning.

They only had the 10x. I just moved sales literature in a shop window opposite from centre to the edge, not a serious test I know but it stayed sharp to my old eyes. It was just a brief first look, also I have little experience of the old Trinovid. No doubt there will be some serious reviews soon, I just wanted to post my "buzz" in getting to try it so soon.

Thanks for clarifying that. If your eyes are "old," your focus accommodation is probably no better than mine, so that's good news about the edge performance.

Not that I was expecting the new Trinnie to be like the SV EL, but I was hoping that it would have sharper edges than the original Trinnies (although, as I mentioned, you get different opinions about that).

The 8x32 Trinovid, which I was most interested in, was criticized for its "fuzzy edges" and for having too much pincushion. So I stayed away despite the fact that otherwise the reviews were usually very favorable.

Yes, you certainly got the "buzz" started!

Did the rep at the Wild Bird Center mention anything about midsized models (8x/10x32) coming in the new Trinnie series?

Brock

Oh come on Gary, you know you're going to have to get one of those new "Trinovids", if only for your collection.
Ron

Brock.

No mention of a 32mm version sadly, but I`m sure it will follow soon.

30-35mm mid sized has become my favourite also, so much so, I`v sold my 8x42 Nikon hg l and Vortex viper 10x42. I just use my Zeiss 8x30 conquest.

I again tried the Zeiss 8x32 Victory whilst in the store, which although superior in every way will need £915 trade up on the Conquest, I love the Victory but its not £900 better to my eyes. Think I`ll wait for a mint used pair to come in.

For the time being I`d rather spread the £900 on trips away in the UK and overseas to enjoy Birding with my quite excellent little Conquests !

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

No........its not really the same as the old classic Trinovids is it.

I must admit I thought I would have to buy a "Silverline" when they released it _ but then I handled one !!!!!

Anyway, I work for a different master now and there are lots of Zeiss binoculars that I never considered owning before.

I think wherever I work they should just pay me with binoculars !!

Brock.

No mention of a 32mm version sadly, but I`m sure it will follow soon.

30-35mm mid sized has become my favourite also, so much so, I`v sold my 8x42 Nikon hg l and Vortex viper 10x42. I just use my Zeiss 8x30 conquest.

I again tried the Zeiss 8x32 Victory whilst in the store, which although superior in every way will need £915 trade up on the Conquest, I love the Victory but its not £900 better to my eyes. Think I`ll wait for a mint used pair to come in.

For the time being I`d rather spread the £900 on trips away in the UK and overseas to enjoy Birding with my quite excellent little Conquests !

Glad you found one bin that suits your needs. Agreed, better to use your money to travel the world and watch exotics than the same old, same old birds in your backyard, because you blew your entire wad on the most expensive birding binoculars in the world.

Brock

I must admit I thought I would have to buy a "Silverline" when they released it _ but then I handled one !!!!!...!

And... perhaps you told the story already but if so, I missed it. Why did handling a Silverline make you lose your urge to buy one?

Brock

It looks nice in the brochures but in my hand the silver finish on the plasic parts was a bit too bright - similar to an Olympus compact binocular.

And .......... at the end of the day it is only really an Ultravid in a different colour.

It looks nice in the brochures but in my hand the silver finish on the plasic parts was a bit too bright - similar to an Olympus compact binocular.

And .......... at the end of the day it is only really an Ultravid in a different colour.

YES! That is almost word for word what I wrote on this forum when I first saw the Silverline. I think I even posted a photo or link to the Olympus compact. The matte silver finish simply doesn't look "classy".

Now if the sliver parts were chrome plated metal, they would nicely match my pimped out Lincoln. :)

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1771/1841/4425920001_large.jpg

Thanks for clarifying.

Brock

I haven't seen them up close. But they do look good from a distance when someone else is using them. I saw one being used at Hawk Mountain.

And then there were the monoculars with the Red Trim too. I never saw them in person but they sold out real quick.

Personally I'd like to own a leather covered one.

Bob

I haven't seen them up close. But they do look good from a distance when someone else is using them. I saw one being used at Hawk Mountain.
Bob

Yeah, I bet you could see the glint of silver paint a mile away! Unfortunately, so could the birds and animals. :-(

If you read the description on Zeiss' Website, it sounds like they are pitching them to yacht owners....

http://en.leica-camera.com/sport_optics/silverline/full_size/

Brock

Leica makes a lot of it's recent growth and profit in China. Chinese are very brand conscious and their taste is also a little different. I guess that with the Silverline, Leica is aiming not really at European and American birders but rather at people with money to spend in Asia.

Leica makes a lot of it's recent growth and profit in China. Chinese are very brand conscious and their taste is also a little different. I guess that with the Silverline, Leica is aiming not really at European and American birders but rather at people with money to spend in Asia.

Thanks for that global perspective. Makes sense, and it fits perfectly with an article in today's Telegraph that profiles China's nouveau riche:

"They like to spend their money on a collectible. The first thing they will buy is a smart car, a Mercedes Benz or a BMW or an Audi. Then they will buy a watch. Probably an Omega or a Rolex. Then they start buying more fashionable things. They like stuff that retains its value."

The fact that the Silverline is "gaudy" with its silver (even though that looks "cheap" to some of us in the West), makes it stand out as "conspicuous consumption".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/6092769/Chinas-nouveau-riche-QandA.html

Brock

It is pretty funny how the mostly imaginary Conquest HD is so badly out-buzzing the similar Trinovid neu. The Zeiss may be better, who knows, but we seem to have been taken in by the magical phrases ED, Lotutec, and a more detailed first impression. If you still get what you pay for, the Leica should be better, being roughly $1300 vs the Conquest's $900. In my little bit of experience, it seems that Zeiss wins on technology, but Leica on old fashioned precision setting of the optics. Zeiss is killer bright and clear, Leica killer sharp. This is going to be fun, and it's not over yet.
Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back