• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo insulated vs ??? (2 Viewers)

Taxboy

I know there are other Paramo users on here so seeking some input. I already have a faithful Cascada jacket but I do find it bulky, although an excellent performer in wet weather.

I'm looking I think for another jacket for photography where I will be standing around in cold / blowy but generally dry conditions. Its the UK so nothing too extreme. I know I can layer up under my current jacket but I'm looking to lose that bulky feel and wondered how warm something like the Torres is on its own with say a wicking layer & microfleece only underneath.

Any other suggestions welcomed and appreciated

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Paramo Halcyon traveller.
Useful bellow and lots of pockets, lightweight but not waterproof. If used with microfleece base layer and a mid layer should keep you warm, probably not recomended in sub zero temperatures. Probably a 3 season garment. Bought mine this Spring
Pat

Last edited:
There are lots of garments out there that would do what you want if you extended your sights out from Paramo. "Standing around in cold / blowy but generally dry conditions" , is a job description for a down jacket, of which there are many weights, many styles and many prices. It might sound odd but TKMaxx is the best place to get down jackets if you don't care about labels. If you do want a bit of security in case of rain then get a duvet filled with Primaloft rather than down, not so many about but still a choice.

Paramo Halcyon traveller.
Useful bellow and lots of pockets, lightweight but not waterproof. If used with microfleece base layer and a mid layer should keep you warm, probably not recomended in sub zero temperatures. Probably a 3 season garment. Bought mine this Spring
Pat
Pat

Thanks for the suggestion, having looked at it I think you are correct in that it is a 3 season garment. I was looking for something for winter on the East Anglian coast and was hoping to try and get rid of that hemmed in feeling with base layer plus fleece plus outer and try for an all in one.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

There are lots of garments out there that would do what you want if you extended your sights out from Paramo. "Standing around in cold / blowy but generally dry conditions" , is a job description for a down jacket, of which there are many weights, many styles and many prices. It might sound odd but TKMaxx is the best place to get down jackets if you don't care about labels. If you do want a bit of security in case of rain then get a duvet filled with Primaloft rather than down, not so many about but still a choice.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm more than happy to look at other brands / styles. Is there any recommendation of down weight to temperature ratio ?

My stepson bought me an insulated Montane pullover jacket a couple of years ago which is sort of a cross between a fleece and an outer layer. He's into mountain walking and camping, and knows his gear - Montane are a brand based in NE England and have a good reputation. It's more shower proof than a fleece, but has a deep fleecy lining.
It is designed to be worn with a single layer underneath (i.e. a t-shirt) and is incredibly warm, so much so that I only use it when I'm standing still for prolonged periods in winter conditions - in those circumstances (coupled with ski / snowboard pants) it is superb. It just has a single hand-warmer pocket though, so not ideal for carrying lots of gear.
I recently bought a Paramo Halcon traveller jacket, which I also like, but it is pretty much the polar opposite in function - lightweight, not really shower proof, but extremely practical for carrying things in pockets when birding in summer conditions. You could layer up, but I can't see myself wearing it in winter.

Google 'Snugpak SJ9'

Olive green, and nothing the UK could throw at you could even make you slightly chilly. I wear mine on the Cairngorms in deep mid winter with just a base layer on underneath. At night.

Synthetic insulation also keeps you very, very warm if the unexpected happens and you get a soaking. Perfect for what you need and is in a nice olive green too. Oh, and they are impervious to the wind too, so you keep all that body warmth in.

snugpak elite pile shirt for me lovely piece of kit worn by forces guys for years.

its super warm and toasty and shower proof and comes with its own stuff sack and 2 hoods. it can be picked up for around £50 to £70 on the web.

another nice cheap warm zip up softy jacket worth looking into is the british army reversible softy jacket green and sand colours you can pick them up for around the £25 mark.

I also have the current issue PCS softy and when this is combined with the issue PCS buffalo shirt it works really well.

here are some links if you shop around you will find them cheaper elsewhere

https://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20302

https://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20410

https://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=3014

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, which I'll check out. Your time and a vice is much appreciated

snugpak elite pile shirt for me lovely piece of kit worn by forces guys for years.

its super warm and toasty and shower proof and comes with its own stuff sack and 2 hoods. it can be picked up for around £50 to £70 on the web.

another nice cheap warm zip up softy jacket worth looking into is the british army reversible softy jacket green and sand colours you can pick them up for around the £25 mark.

I also have the current issue PCS softy and when this is combined with the issue PCS buffalo shirt it works really well.

here are some links if you shop around you will find them cheaper elsewhere

https://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20302

https://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20410

https://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=3014
Thanks for this. Can I confirm my understanding that the pile shirts should be worn next to the skin and are most effective when active and I would need the extra layer for standing around

Hi mate that's right they are designed to be worn next to the skin. But I use a wick away type of t-shirt underneath it. The reason why I do this is because it keeps it fresh and cleaner for longer. As for an extra layer over the top I only bother when it is pouring down and that is simply an MTP goretex/mvp smock. The pile shirt is at its best either on the move or sitting in a freezing cold hide Cheers stu

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm more than happy to look at other brands / styles. Is there any recommendation of down weight to temperature ratio ?

Have a look at Rohan stuff, not cheap but very good and does what it says on the label

Can I jump in here? Just bought myself a Parjaro jacket but the question is what to wear under in in the forthcoming winter or is it warm enough without some kind of base fleece?

Thanks

Stuarty Boy

I'd definitely go for a down jacket. It is a mystery to me why every birder doesn't have one. Warm and very, very light. I have an expensive RAB one, which I got heavily discounted. It is able to cope with rain - due to the hydrophobic down - but tbh my £50 Karrimor one is very nearly as good, although it wouldn't cope with the rain as well.

Today i wore my Snugpac elite pile shirt with just a wick away T-shirt underneath it and a Goretex British army smock over the top I was l toasty and warm at a very windy and cold Steart Marsh.

Combination works well for me

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back