• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellowlegs ID Portugal (1 Viewer)

PedroNicolau

Hi everyone,

This bird was spotted today in southern Portugal by Michael Davis. Credits of photo and observation go to him.

This image is the only one we got, and it got people thinking if it could be a Greater Yellowlegs, which is a mega in mainland Portugal and would drive people to a big twitch.

What's your opinion?

Many thanks,
Pedro Nicolau

Attachments

• IMG_3447.jpg
    IMG_3447.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 210
Hi Pedro,

The shape and weight of the bill looks better for Lesser, as does the overall shape of the bird and the very long primary-projection. I think the impression of a slightly longer than usual bill (for a Lesser) in this photo is an illusion, possibly caused by the way the head feathers seem to be sleeked tight to the skull, which may make the head appear a little smaller than it would otherwise, and the bill a little longer.

I have inserted the head of a juv Lesser Yellowlegs at a size where the distance between the back of the eye and the point where the culmen meets the forehead is precisely the same (30 pixels) as in the photo of the bird in question; the relative length of the bill is virtually identical in both birds, indicating that the Portuguese yellowlegs is indeed a Lesser.

Killian Mullarney

Attachments

• Yellowlegs_Portugal_January2018_annotated.jpg
    Yellowlegs_Portugal_January2018_annotated.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 128
Slender build, short and dainty bill = Lesser Yellowlegs. My impression of the GISS is actually that this is a pretty clear Lesser, I think it just comes down to the overall size and proportions that are compelling to me in this photo.

I never got around to thanking you guys for the input, especially Killian for the detailed description - very helpful even for future situations.

The bird has indeed been confirmed as a Lesser Yellowlegs as it has stayed and has been fully documented.

Cheers,
Pedro

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back