• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or Willow Tit? (1 Viewer)

markyb2

Mark
Taken in the New Forest today.

Can someone give me any helpful tips in distinguishing between the two.

Thanks

Attachments

• New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 013a.jpg
    New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 013a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 319
Hi Marky,

See this marathon thread and you'll see how difficult it can be, especially from a single photo. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=72210.

I know which I suspect yours is but from that photo alone I can't be sure. Others may be more confident, but if you have a couple of other photos, even if they are not as "good" that could well help. It's on a feeder so you didn't hear a call?

Graham

I think(!) this is a marsh tit. Small head in proportion. Looks glossy rather than matt. Small bib. Cap doesnt extend far down the nape. Not sure on the wing bar. However, im not good from photos. Gimme the bird in the field!

Didn't here it's call, but here are some more photos giving a better all round picture of the bird.

Attachments

• New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 001a.jpg
    New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 001a.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 223
  • New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 009a.jpg
    New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 009a.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 180
  • New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 010b.jpg
    New Forest Eyeworth Pond 14th Jan 2007 010b.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 191
Thanks, Marky. Pic 1 of the new set does it for me, Marsh Tit. I actually find the wing panel difficult - it's all in the head/cheek/neck, i reckon.

Graham

Marsh tit has a more square tail (longer outer TFs, Willow tit has a more rounded tail (shorter outer TFs). Buggered if I can see it in the field though!

Attachments

• bfpost.JPG
    bfpost.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
markyb2 said:
Taken in the New Forest today.

Can someone give me any helpful tips in distinguishing between the two.

Thanks

I guess this was taken at either Eyeworth Pond or Deny Wood where the Marsh Tits regularly come into food at the edge of the car parks. If you search the threads for marsh/willow tit you should find additional useful discussion on another similar thread from last year - that photo was also taken in the Forest.

Willow Tits are rare in Hamshire and perhaps nearing extinction whereas Marsh Tit remains very locally frequent, especially in the Forest.

Alan

Also stepping of feathers on the undertail is the feature used as a definitive by ringers but nie on impossible to see in the field

Hotspur said:
Also stepping of feathers on the undertail is the feature used as a definitive by ringers but nie on impossible to see in the field

It's only really good for adults in fairly good nick - on 1st winters the tails are often very abraded by December and they don't finish moulting them til next August. Many first witners will also moult a few tail feathers during the first post-juvenile moult, which then come out longer and wider than the others, which also mucks things up a lot. It's not used as a definitive guide, but as another additional tool.

The first pic marky posted here looked fairly good for willow tit and I got a bit excited, as that would be a very good record in that area. The birds posture and the lighting really affected it. However, the first pic of the 2nd set is defo a marsh tit, as are the others.

The demarcation between white cheek and dusky sides of neck behind the ear covert, very obviously blue gloss on the cap, white cutting edge on the bill, sleek appearance (when it's not lurching forward for seeds!). The underparts are quite warm buff for a marsh tit (especially in first pic, which would be pro-willow), but that could be colour rendition in the photos.

Anyway, defo a marsh tit.

bitterntwisted said:
No it wasn't. What wood? I didn't see any wood.

I'm obviously in woodland denial.

Well spotted - that should of course have been Denny Wood. A great site for Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers in early Spring by the way (as well as Marsh Tits).

Alan

I didn't realise these two birds were so similar. Could someone please confirm that my gallery posting yesterday is indeed a Marsh Tit?

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back