• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

The lapwing broods are 4 in meadow and 1 to right of hide and still brooding ..so hopefully more:t:

Today's new brood has at least three chicks. Also four at Moors from east hide. Ten Common Terns with four sitting. No-one else on site it appears, and I'm off soon so lots bound to appear 😊

soz Phil...the Cafe owner opens the gates
8-P
If it helps, I went in for my usual Saturday morning coffee and she was telling me when she arrived at 0730 on Saturday the car park was full with the swimmers cars and so was the overflow. As to what time they opened and who opened them saturday she didn't say. Excellent cup of coffee and homemade cake by the way if you get the chance its worth a visit. Great view too as if we didn't know.

WATER LEVEL's

FLASHES WATER LEVEL's
Just had a look through my note books and the present level is exactly the same as is should be for the time of year. Hopefully the 'new slat' will arrive so we can keep the water at the desired level throughout the summer months.

MOORS WATER LEVEL's
The level is 5cm higher than normal. This is to allow the new bittern channel (Moors) and scrapes channels (North Moors) to 'bed' in and help the reeds grow and colonize in the desired zones.
Next work party season we plan to build up the small shingle island in front of the east hide, to allow for the increased water levels. The east bank shore in the same area will be shingled. The flag iris has completely dominated all the shoreline in the scrape which is making it more difficult for feeding waders and their chicks.

Steve (Spike) has just seen the 4th lapwing chick emerge from the lapwing nest to the right of hide at Flashes. Thus 12 chicks from 3 broods.
Yesterday at Flashes, 2 adult lapwing were attacking a crow close to the oak-tree as it flew past. This could indicate that the 1st brood might still be surviving, unfortunately the phragmites are obscuring the views into this area.
Steve also had a cuckoo calling from the wires above the Hen Pool.

A photo of last weeks Garganey at the Flashes. courtesy of Mike and Yvonne T.
They didn't know the name of the finder and had never seen him before. so he could have been a visitor.
:t:

Attachments

• garganey flashes may 2015IMG_5325.jpg
    garganey flashes may 2015IMG_5325.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 138
Lapwing and Shelduck families all doing fine at 7pm. Avocets compulsively chasing large brood of mallard chicks all over the place. Two Black-tailed Godwits still present.

Attachments

• Lapwing and chicks.jpg
    Lapwing and chicks.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 81
Dave J and Gert also reports from the Flashes: 34 adult Avocets, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, Mediterranean Gull (first summer), Cuckoo and a Roe Deer

Last edited:
Lapwing update

Two broods of four each still at the Flashes (right hand side of foreshore and sewage meadow) plus four still in Amy's Marsh (plus young Oyk and grebe chick doing well) as per Gert and Dave

Last edited:
Not worth looking at! You've been on the sauerkraut again, haven't you!
This is superb news not only for the species but for the Reserve too.

Spent an hour or so at The Flashes around midday today. The avocets are continuing to thrive. I managed to see two broods of lapwing (one to the right of the hide, the other on the far side near the sewage works) and counted a minimum of three chicks in each. There were still at least seven shelduck ducklings. The two black tailed godwits remained present. Oystercatchers were also on the far side.
On the walk towards the hide I enjoyed a song thrush in fine voice in one of the trees near the bridge. Chiffchaffs calling. Blue tits still going in and out of the nest box near to the boardwalk by the Hen Brook Hide.

Today at the Moors
1. Oyc chick doing well
2. 2 of 4 Lapwing chicks feeding on Snipe island
3. 'Going for Gold!' C. Tern snaffles a Goldfish from somewhere.

Noted: Pair of Shelduck mating in front of East hide. Large gulls taking a toll on BH Gull chicks.

Attachments

• 610_9946.jpg
    610_9946.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 610_9886.jpg
    610_9886.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 610_9829.jpg
    610_9829.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 123
Oystercatcher chick at The Moors this evening.

1. Called across to another island by mother. Not keen.
2. Eventually swims across
3. Black-headed gull has a go

Attachments

• Oyk 1.jpg
    Oyk 1.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Oyk 2.jpg
    Oyk 2.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Oyk 3.jpg
    Oyk 3.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 92