• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

June closed on a meagre 87 species with missing species including Treecreeper and Peregrine; the year list progressing to 130.

July gives the promise of the start of the return wader passage; potential additions to the year list include Turnstone, Spotted Redshank, Ruff, Wood Sandpiper, Yellow-legged Gull, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher and Yellowhammer

Dave J had a peregrine catch a juv BHG

Hi Phil,

I was talking to John Belsey last week suggesting that the last week in August would have better potential. Departing summer migrants are easier to come by and wader passage should be ok.
I'm happy to go with the flow, just my thoughts and appreciate some might not be able to make that weekend.

Cheers Steve

I agree Steve, that end of August would be the best Saturday. But I will have to do the 1st Saturday in September...Mrs has just told me we are on holiday at end of August. I could do the September on my own:-C.

A couple of pics from this morning.

1, Sedge Warbler at the Moors.
2, The Otter puts in an appearance.:t:
3, Much to the annoyance of the Gulls and Terns.:eek!:
4, Very record shot of the moulting male Ruff at the Flashes.3:)

Chris B :)

Attachments

• 1DM49195-1.JPG
    1DM49195-1.JPG
    464.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 1DM49466-1.JPG
    1DM49466-1.JPG
    488.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 1DM49462-1.JPG
    1DM49462-1.JPG
    468 KB · Views: 81
  • 1DM49606-1.JPG
    1DM49606-1.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 130
Amphibious Bistort

This is for those of you that have been going to Upton for less than 10 years.
On the east side of the Moors pool, there used to be a large area of 'amphibious bistort'. this covered 25% of the actual open water. It was so thick that it appeared like an island to overflying birds. I witnessed flocks of lapwing and on one occasion golden plover land on it. At its height it provided the only suitable breeding sites for both species of grebes on the Moors. It was also a good area for young fish to hide. In the autumn when it began dying off many dabbling duck were attracted to it. However since the mid 90's and the desired increase in the water level ( a good thing), it had all but disappeared.
On my last couple of visits I have noticed an obvious 'purple sheen' on the east side, precisely where the amphibious bistort used to be. To a lesser extent it is also appearing in the SW and west sides, Paul M and I are convinced that it is amphibious bistort. If so this will be a real bonus for the waterfowl on site and will hopefully expand to its former glory. I can only think that by keeping the water level low during the winter could have contributed to this re-emergence. Fingers crossed

Attachments

• reemergent Amphib bist DSCF8504.jpg
    reemergent Amphib bist DSCF8504.jpg
    897.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Amphibious bistort, Somerset Levels © Guy Edwardes-2020VISION.jpg
    Amphibious bistort, Somerset Levels © Guy Edwardes-2020VISION.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Today at the Flashes - car thermometer read 36 degrees

Male Ruff still present when we arrived around 14:00 and was still there when we left at about 16:00. Also 4 Green Sandpipers, 14 Curlew (seemed to separate into flocks of 8 and 6) and at least 2 pairs + one LRP (one still stoically incubating despite the heat).
One Avocet appears still to be sitting and the remaining egg from this week's hatched brood of three appears to be abandoned. The small Avo trio spent most of the afternoon tucked up in the shade of the large foliage on one of the small islands, guarded by a vigilant parent.

1. "Boy, is it hot?!!! - all you can do is sit on your heels and pant!"
2. BHG wearing blusher?
3. Green Sandpiper demonstrating an iridescent green-grey wing
4. Green Sandpiper showing barred tail

(3 & 4 clearly demonstrate how light conditions and position can affect colour rendering - this is the same bird a few seconds apart.)

Attachments

• IMG_2910a.jpg
    IMG_2910a.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3012a.jpg
    IMG_3012a.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3006a.jpg
    IMG_3006a.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3007a.jpg
    IMG_3007a.jpg
    761.9 KB · Views: 77
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sand (4)-------------Ruff (m) still present this evening and looking smarter in the evening light than this morning---------------------LRP (5) inc siting bird.
Lapwing (56)----------------Oystercatcher (1) + juv
Curlew (14)-----------------Avocet (49) inc 3 chicks.
Gadwall (3)-----------------Shelduck (2) + 7
Shoveler (2 prs)------------Tufted Duck (9) + 6 chicks
Teal (5)---------------------Raven (1)
Cetti's Warbler--------------Rook (c30) reported in transmitter field

MOORS:
Lapwing (10)+ 1 young-----Common Tern (10) + 2:2 chicks
Gadwall (3)------------------Oystercatcher (2) + 2 young
Herring Gull (ad)-------------Water Rail calling
Greylags (3)-----------------Shelduck (1)
G C Grebe (3) + young

NORTH MOORS:
Goldcrest--------------------Whitethroat
Cetti's Warbler--------------Shoveler (1)
Oystercatcher (1)

+ min of 5 W L Hairstreaks.

Des.

Today at the Flashes - Ruff

On extreme digital but the light was good.

1. Male Ruff
2. - with lapwings
3. - with BHG and Avocet
4. - with BHG and Green Sand
5. - with BHG and Green Sand

Unfortunately he preferred to stay over the far side.

Attachments

• IMG_2930a.jpg
    IMG_2930a.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2937a.jpg
    IMG_2937a.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2976a.jpg
    IMG_2976a.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3044a.jpg
    IMG_3044a.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3047a.jpg
    IMG_3047a.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 90
Nice article in the new-look WMBC quarterly bulletin regarding the Spring All-Dayer from a Belvide perspective written by Steve Nuttall :t:

There is also a short article regarding an all-dayer done by nine Warwickshire sites on the 9th May. Locations included Draycote Water, Brandon Marsh, Ladywalk, Salford Priors, Earlswood and Morton Bagot; top score was 84 species by the Lower Tame Valley sites of Ladywalk, Coton Pools and Shustoke Res. It would be nice if next year we could all be taking part on the same date so there was a comparison across the West Midlands; not sure who co-ordinates the Warwickshire event (Matt G?)

Talking of All-Dayers, we need to fix a date for the Autumn event. I suspect the starting point will be Saturday 5th September - anyone strongly prefer to go a week earlier (the Bank Holiday) or a week later?

Hi Phil,
Yes I organised the Warks all-dayer. Date chosen was the one that the majority of participants could do. We're hoping to do another next spring, and a few of us might do it again this autumn...
Matt

Hi Phil,
Yes I organised the Warks all-dayer. Date chosen was the one that the majority of participants could do. We're hoping to do another next spring, and a few of us might do it again this autumn...
Matt

Cheers Matt - you no doubt will have seen the discussion upthread regarding potential dates for the autumn all-dayer

Tuesday 30 June 2015

A couple of photos of the wildlife seen around the Moors.

1 Med Gull (2s)
2 & 3 Record shots of the White Letter Hairstreaks
4 Beetle, `Strangalia Maculata` (Does anybody know the common name)?:eek!:

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF1830.JPG
    DSCF1830.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF1836.JPG
    DSCF1836.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 72
  • New_1_DSCF1842.JPG