• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opening raw files in PE7- Help please (1 Viewer)

skywatcher

I've just shot in RAW for the first time and am trying to process the files. I've downloaded the latest plug in which will cover my 50D and dled photos to external hard disc where I want them to be. They came up as individual files plus the sidekick xmp file which I thought odd because I expected them to be in a folder. The thumbnails arrived on the Organizer pane and I expected that if I highlighted a thumbnail and hit edit>full edit that the photo would open up in the ARC pane .The only way I seem to be able to open a file in this is to go to the Editor and hit file>open. This takes me back to the files on my hd (which of course I can't identify as photos because I can't see photos, only inpenetrable file name and numbers!).
This doesn't seem right but I've read books and searched forums and I still can't nail what the problem is and what I'm doing wrong.I'm determined to sort this out and not just give in and set my camera back to jpeg! I'd really appreciate any help on this one. Thanks for your time! Skywatcher.

50D raw files can only be opened using ACR that comes with CS4. Use DPP that came with the camera, you will have no problem then, and also better results.

50D raw files can only be opened using ACR that comes with CS4. Use DPP that came with the camera, you will have no problem then, and also better results.

Thanks for the response.That's interesting.I was hoping to avoid using another piece of software but it sounds like it's got to be the answer.
Liked your gallery, by the way. Lovely shots of waders.
Cheers,
Skywatcher

Well, things are still at an impasse! I've installed the DPP that came with the camera. I downloaded my images and lo and behold all the jpeg images downloaded but none of the raws. So, I feel really stumped now.Any further suggestions welcome.
Skywatcher

Adobe basically force upgrades on you. Got a new camera? Get a new ps/pse/lr to open the files. Pse7 and cs4 are the latest iterations, so are updated. Logically, they could update acr on earlier versions, but thanks to the market for dslr cameras, this mechanism keeps a revenue stream open to adobe.

Ok.Panic over! It seems to be working. In the end I just re-installed the raw plug in. Not convinced I did anything different but it appears to have sorted itself.

Many thanks to all of you who supported me through three days of irritation and angst!!
I think I should charge adobe for therapy!
Skywatcher

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back