• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A foretaste of Summer (1 Viewer)

honeym

Hi

At the London Wetland Centre, Barnes, Surrey this morning one of the staff found a Hummingbird Hawkmoth flying around in the Observatory.

Almost certainly it had over-wintered there and was either disturbed or became active due to the milder weather.

It was good to be reminded that summer is on its way (but some time off!).

Martin

I actually saw one on Boxing Day, flying in amongst the crowd at a football match! Wasn't exactly tropical either. They are obviously tough little things and seem to be getting commoner all the time.

Could that be what I saw today flying over next door's roof? I glanced out of an upstairs window and noticed what looked like a medium-sized orange-brown leaf floating above the ridge tiles of the house next door. I soon realised, to my amazement, that it was a butterfly or moth! I didn't expect to see anything like that at this time of year, and certainly not so high. It fluttered away within a minute, at a height of about 80 feet (25 metres). Weather in Chester was unusually mild today. Anyone able to provide likely identity?

Thanks for your responses. It's a wonder they survive in such variable weather. Yesterday was overcast and chilly, but today is bright sunshine, although the forecast is one degree tonight. They appear frail, but perhaps are more hardy than they look?

Blimey though- just goes to show how tough they are especially as they're on the edge of their range in the UK I believe?

They do seem to be getting more common however. I've seen them in our garden several summers running and was surprised to see one in the Lake District the summer before last.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back