• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (2 Viewers)

Hi all,

Been following this thread with great interest.

Doesn't the G1 represent the ideal photo/digiscoping kit. Digiscope with the kit lens and regular photography when coupled with an Olympus 70-300mm, via an adapter (giving upto 600mm reach)- accepting that you can never have enough reach. The Olympus lens had quite a favourable review recently in one of the UK camera magazines that ran a comparison of telephoto zooms. I am also assuming that the image quality of the G1+70-300mm would be better than one of the current crop of superzoom bridge cameras, especially when you take into account that alot of photos would be taken at maximum zoom.

Wouldn't this make a good set up for travelling as well, being light and fairly compact?

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Alll the best,

Mark

There is a new mount adapter from Novoflex for Micro Four Thirds, but it provides 'only' a mechanical connection:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09091101novoflex.asp

A reply to my own message: Today I visited a optical fair here, all the well known companies are there. On the Novoflex booth the showed me a G1 with adapter and how easy you can manual focus and preview the DOF on screen. Looks great. He told me buy a G1, our adapter and go down one stair to the second hand shop - you will find all the lenses you need very cheap.
According to him they cannot produce enough adapters at the moment because of the high demand. They really help to sell the G-series and even Panasonic has confirmed this.

Hi all,

Been following this thread with great interest.

Doesn't the G1 represent the ideal photo/digiscoping kit. Digiscope with the kit lens and regular photography when coupled with an Olympus 70-300mm, via an adapter (giving upto 600mm reach)- accepting that you can never have enough reach. The Olympus lens had quite a favourable review recently in one of the UK camera magazines that ran a comparison of telephoto zooms. I am also assuming that the image quality of the G1+70-300mm would be better than one of the current crop of superzoom bridge cameras, especially when you take into account that alot of photos would be taken at maximum zoom.

Wouldn't this make a good set up for travelling as well, being light and fairly compact?

Or am I missing something fundamental?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Alll the best,

Mark

Mark,
In theory you are right but in practice one body doesn't solve all our problems.
Today I was digiscoping a Wilson's Plover with the G1 when an Osprey flew around my head and dived into the water about 20 metres from me. I had my D3 + 300/4 on my shoulder and I was able to get 11 frames off . These grab shots are often the best images I get on a trip, particularly of raptors. You can't do this with one body. Secondly you will need a wider lens as well when travelling as the Micro Four Thirds system 2x crop will defeat your 70-300 as a landscape/record lens.
Neil.

Dca

Neil, I am having some confusing , conflicting information coming my way. I recently bought a Lumix G1 with the understanding that with the kit lens 14-45 would not work well with the 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I prepared to purchase the fixed 30 SW eyepiece as well as the 45. I have been told that the DCA for my zoom eyepiece will not fit the fixed eyepieces and that the fixed eyepiece DCA has been discontinued and is not available. What do you know about this and can you clarify? Thanks, Coy Martin

Neil, I am having some confusing , conflicting information coming my way. I recently bought a Lumix G1 with the understanding that with the kit lens 14-45 would not work well with the 20-60 zoom eyepiece. I prepared to purchase the fixed 30 SW eyepiece as well as the 45. I have been told that the DCA for my zoom eyepiece will not fit the fixed eyepieces and that the fixed eyepiece DCA has been discontinued and is not available. What do you know about this and can you clarify? Thanks, Coy Martin

Martin,
The DCA zoom collar will fit on the 20-60 zoom (new model ) but it's a little sloppy until the wrapping of tennis racket grip around the camera end of the eyepiece to pad it out a bit. I do this with all my fixed eyepieces and it works a treat.
Neil.

Dca

Neil, I don't mean to seem dense, but does the tennis racket padding start right under the eyecup and pad the entire length of the eyepiece that the sleeve connected to the camera covers? Any chance of a photo? Thanks, Coy

Neil, I don't mean to seem dense, but does the tennis racket padding start right under the eyecup and pad the entire length of the eyepiece that the sleeve connected to the camera covers? Any chance of a photo? Thanks, Coy

Coy,
It's applied just one width wide and built up until the DCA Collar will just slide over it. I always end up going to far and then have to unwrap a bit. Neil

Attachments

• tape eyepieceIMG_0375.jpg
    tape eyepieceIMG_0375.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 361
Just got a very very cheap CCTV lens - 35mm f1.7
About USD 15.

Let see the performance. :-O

Attachments

• 0a.jpg
    0a.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 304
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 295
G1 lense

Neil, Thanks for your responces. The fixed eyepieces 30x and 45x are on their way. The picture of the padding on the eyepiece , is that just cheap tennis racket tape secured with electrical black tape?--- Is there available now a lense , panasonic , leica, olympus that would be a workhorse , utility lense for most situations, that if you were only allowed to carry one lense , that would be it? Thanks, Coy Martin

Neil, Thanks for your responces. The fixed eyepieces 30x and 45x are on their way. The picture of the padding on the eyepiece , is that just cheap tennis racket tape secured with electrical black tape?--- Is there available now a lense , panasonic , leica, olympus that would be a workhorse , utility lense for most situations, that if you were only allowed to carry one lense , that would be it? Thanks, Coy Martin

Coy,
Yes, it's standard rocket tape.
The best value lens at the moment is the Panasonic 20/1.7. It's not the best quality lens out there (the 50/2 Macro Olympus is better ) and I would prefer a 30 mm lens , so I'm still looking.
Neil

uca

Neil, Can you tell me anything about the UCA universal. I understand it is designed for the zoom eyepieces but can you adapt it the way you do the DCA for fixed eyepieces?---- Do you use remote shutter appliances or timer delays? thanks, Coy Martin

Neil, Can you tell me anything about the UCA universal. I understand it is designed for the zoom eyepieces but can you adapt it the way you do the DCA for fixed eyepieces?---- Do you use remote shutter appliances or timer delays? thanks, Coy Martin

Coy,
It will only fit the old and new zooms.
I don't use Remote with the G1/GF1 but sometime self-timer. I use remote with the P6000 about 10% of the time.
Neil

I purchased my G1 in the spring of 09 and never have been happy with the Kit lens. I was excited when the new 20mm f/1.2 was released but the first reviews mad me hesitant to purchase. Neil Fifer visited me last month and we shot several days together. Our conclusions are: the Nikon 8400 is probable the best Digiscoping camera ever made. It has its deficits but overall it is wonderful. The G1 body cannot be beat but both lenses are inadequate for Digiscoping. The glass is not ED in either lens and our guess is that the lenses have molded aspheric polymer components. The Kit lens and the 20mm lens worked well under 30 meters but were not good on distance shots. So for me; auto focus is not important and sharpness is omnipotent. I purchased a Borg adapter for the Micro 4/3 and an M-42 T-ring adapter. I had a Pentax 40mm f/2.8 pancake and a Kowa TSN-PZ photo adapter. I purchased off of eBay a SMC Pentax 50mm f/1.2 manual lens and a SMC Pentax-M 28mm F/2.8 lens. Now I am happy and satisfied with the G1. With the Lens and eyepiece combinations I have the sharpness and a range equivalence of 1120mm to 6000mm

You might like to try the 45mm macro lens which is made by Leica for Panasonic. Not cheap but a beautiful lens which works well with my Zeiss Diascope and 20x60 zoom eyepiece.

You might like to try the 45mm macro lens which is made by Leica for Panasonic. Not cheap but a beautiful lens which works well with my Zeiss Diascope and 20x60 zoom eyepiece.

Roger,
I'm thinking about one of the Nikon Zeiss lenses myself as the Leica is a bit long for me with the 25-50 zoom. I'd be interested in seeing some test photos with the Panasonic/Leica.
Neil

Thanks for the advice Roger but my 40mm pancake is close enough and is sometimes a little much even at 20X on the Kowa Zoom eyepiece.

As a new owner of a G1 and a 20mm F1.7 pancake I want to report my first results with this setup, since the weather was nice today.
The G1 is really good, light enough, fast and with great features for digiscoping:t: I like the results with the pancake especially at small distances for small birds like Tits. I was never able to get good shots of the hectic Tits with the P6000 because of speed. The G1 is fast in shooting series of pics.
The pictures are cropped very little.

ATS 80 HD, 25-50 zoom, DCB-A, G1 with 20F1.7, cable release

Attachments

• Blaumeise.jpg
    Blaumeise.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 457
  • Blaumeise2.jpg
    Blaumeise2.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 254
  • Blaumeise3.jpg
    Blaumeise3.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 382
  • Eichelhäher.jpg
    Eichelhäher.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 316
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back