• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Elite 10x43mm (1 Viewer)

Stud Duck

I've got a set of Bushnell Elite 10x43mm binos on the way. The model number is 62-4201, are these the Japanese made Elites?

Can anyone tell me the approximate year of manufacture? If not, I'll contact Bushnell.

I purchased these binos due to the review on Allbinos.com, but in the review, they didn't mention the model number......I guess I'll just have to evaluate them upon their arrival.

They were NIB, old stock. I purchased them for $500 USD delivered; how did I do?

Any input on these binos would be appreciated.

If I remember correctly if it is a 43 mm then it is the original open-bridge elite. If it is a 42 mm then it is a newer, traditional hinge Elite or Elite ED.

I just sold the open-bridge 8x43 after retrying them several years after owning the first. They are a fine binocular with more metal parts than any of the more current offerings from Chinese manufacturers. That is the good news. The bad news is that I did not feel that they were as good optically as many of the newer ED glass models comparable in price. The image was not as contrast filled nor was the edge performance to my liking. Throw in the fact that the field of view for the 8x43 was narrower than current competing models and I think you have a pair that is a little past their time optically. Just my opinion. I would probably opt for the Legend Ultra HD in comparison.

Stud Duck

Not to burst your bubble but a new pair of the 62-4201 10x43 Elites sold on ebay several weeks ago for $255. Generally they go quite a bit higher - usually around $400+ for mint used models. I had intended to bid on that auction but was out of town.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190583118357?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

My understanding is that prioir to 2004 the Elites were made as a 10x42 under the Bausch & Lomb name and model 62-4210. In 2004 when the licensing rights for Bushnell to use the B&L name expired, I believe Bushnell introduced the open bridge 10x43 model and changed the model to 62-4201. In the 2009 catalog Bushnell revised the 10x43 Elites and gave them the model 63-1043, but they were discontinued almost as quickly as they were introduced, in favor of the Chinese Elite ED'.

My understanding is that the Elites prior to 2009 were made in Japan by a company called Light Optical Works, and the pictures that Allbinos has up are of the Elite model 62-4201.

http://www.bushnell.com/downloads/catalogs/09BSH4873_2009_Catalog_Binoculars.pdf

Many of the 10x42 binos shown in the Allbinos rating were introduced around 2004 or earlier, so as Frank suggests, there have been some major advances in models during the interim. Consequently, there are a number of outstanding Chinese ED bins in the under $500 range that have not been tested and made it onto the list. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the Allbinos reviews, as some of the ratings seem very screwy to me. For instance, I have the 10x42 Olympus EXWP (#17), and it is certainly not as good as my 10x42 Bushnell Legend Ultra HD (not rated), and I would have great difficulty believing it is better than the Meopta Meostar(#28), Pentax ED(#27), or Minox HG BR MIG (#26).

Enjoy your new 10x43 Elites and don't look back, as they are a fine bino.

Tom

On a positive note, I do have an inspection period and I am able to return them for a full refund. This is one of the reasons I felt comfortable purchasing.

Thank you for the replies........I think a set of Zen Ray ED3's or Primes (IIRC) are in my future.

Well, SD, you've got yourself a fine glass there....considerably superior to any of the 42mm Elites. I tried one at Astronomics about 3 yrs ago, and if I hadn't had a really good 10x already, I'd have left with it. $500 is still a good price for a new one and it's a keeper. Enjoy.

As an aside, I also tried the 8x43.....the 10 gave a sharper view, with a superior AFOV, about the same brightness (during the day anyway) and vg eye relief.

Well, SD, you've got yourself a fine glass there....considerably superior to any of the 42mm Elites. I tried one at Astronomics about 3 yrs ago, and if I hadn't had a really good 10x already, I'd have left with it. $500 is still a good price for a new one and it's a keeper. Enjoy.

As an aside, I also tried the 8x43.....the 10 gave a sharper view, with a superior AFOV, about the same brightness (during the day anyway) and vg eye relief.

Are you speaking of the Bushnell's or the Zen Ray?

SD
He was referring to the Bushnell Elites. I would keep the Elites and consider that you got a good deal on an excellent pair of optics. These compare very well to the top "alphas" and you would have extreme difficulty finding a good used pair of any of the alphas these compare to for less than $1000-$1200 on ebay.

Tom

Spyglass writes. "Well, SD, you've got yourself a fine glass there....considerably superior to any of the 42mm Elites. I tried one at Astronomics about 3 yrs ago, and if I hadn't had a really good 10x already, I'd have left with it. $500 is still a good price for a new one and it's a keeper. Enjoy."

I agree. The only reason I didn't go for the same binocular you bought is I have a Swarovski EL 10x42 WB and prefer 12x glass.

The open bridged 10x43 Elite was, but for its slightly narrower field of view, rated optically equivalent to the Leica (10x42 Ultravid HD), Swarovski (EL 10x42 WB) and Zeiss (10x42 Victory FL) offerings, and at half the price, by Bird Watching Digest a few years ago. So SD you did very well. The new Chinese Elite ED versions will seriously have to go some to match that and I doubt if they can. ED is over rated I think because too much else gets cheapened down and screwed up going to it by manufacturers.

I just picked up a new 12.5x50 Elite open bridged for $740 on closeout ($1395 list) -- the big brother of yours -- and couldn't be happier. I prefer 12x generally over other powers and, contrary to those who claim they can't be held still, I suck more visual information through 12x than any lesser power by far. However, for years I was a competitive rifle and pistol shooter. I note too when Bushnell went to the Chinese ED Elite models they haven't come out with a 12x model. Too bad, I think.

Also, I have an old Basch & Lomb 8x42 Elite Japan which, while a tad heavy, presents a wonderful, very settled and comfortable optical view. I won't sell it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back