• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petition Against Ridiculous Ticket Price in Indonesian National Park (1 Viewer)

cendrawasih

Curious Birder
Please help us!

On the first of January 2015, the national government implemented a new system for park fees. The new system is on average 550% higher than last year. This sharp increase is proving to be too expensive for many guests, and local operators are suffering BIG losses to business due to a reduced number of guests and a reduced length of stay for guests to the national park.

The problems with the system are many:

1. Too Expensive. e.g: Budget Guests will pay about Rp 700,000 for a two day one night trip in the park on a local boat – Including food! They will pay the park between 500,000 and 700,000 rp for the same trip. These local operators are loosing business as guest shorten their stay due to the high costs. IT has become the most expensive park in the world to visit. For example - A guest doing an extended ten day stay in the park will pay approximately 2,500,000 rupiah. In Galapagos it is USD 100 for an adult and USD50 for a Child for a unlimited stay. The great barrier reef is AU3.50 per day. And for AU$65 you can visit all the parks in the country for one year! The new fees in Indonesia exceed international norms, and what people think is reasonable!

2. Too Complicated. The new fee schedule has over 70 different fee items. And people must pay up to seven different fees for a one day visit to the park. Not to mention the discriminatory 50% increase on weekends.The result is that Tourists feel harassed by fees, and cheated by the system! This damages indonesia’s reputation as a tourist friendly nation!

3. Not Tourist, Business, or Family Friendly. The system has failed at several levels here. There is no allowance for children, no extended stay passes, No for-warning for guests or agents who have pre sold packages to booked guests. Fails to meet international standards for fee systems.

4. Damaging the Local Economy. The net result of the system is taking the money out of the pockets of local business ,in a still underdeveloped part of the world. It is a macro economic disincentive to visit the region.

5. Does't Reflect Standards and Facilities. The facilities and infrastructure provided is not representative of the high costs.

6. The Fees are not directly linked to the conservation and management of the park. Where does the money go? How does it help conservation and the local economies?

7. Ignores the inputs and feedback of operators and guests. The new system has totally ignored the feedback of operators and guests asking for a simple system with multi day passes available.

We would like to ask that the government URGENTLY reconsider the park fee system, to bring it into line with international and national standards.

To help preserve the tourism growth potential of Indonesia, and the local economies that rely on these national assets.

https://www.change.org/p/ministry-o...&utm_source=share_petition&recruiter=65747716

IT has become the most expensive park in the world to visit. For example - A guest doing an extended ten day stay in the park will pay approximately 2,500,000 rupiah.

I can sympathise with the anger about an increase, but if this equates to about 180 euro, then it is far from the most expensive park in the world to visit ...try ten days in one of the top Kenyan national parks - ten days would be over 800 euro in entry fees alone I think (before any accommodation, vehicles, etc).

Last edited:
If you click on the change.org link it's Komodo given the petition started by "Concerned Operators of Tourism in the Komodo National Park."

Oh, ok thanks - I went there when they used to sacrifuice a goat for the "Dragons". I think it was cheaper in those days!

cheers, alan

Sorry i'm late. Its about all national park in Indonesia--small, big, nice or worse, every national park is now having a new ridiculous ticket price, up to 20 dollar/day and you get nothing with it. No, it is not included any facilities such as guide, guesthouse nor transportation, this money is only for ticket to get inside the park for a whole day. And the money does not goes straight to the conservation program inside of it, we even have no idea where it will be gone (just to remind you that we are in the list of most corrupt nation in the world).
This condition is really serious for our tourism business and we really need your help to make sure our government realizes this terrible mistake.

Thanks for your concern, cheers!

I thought it was rather steep before the price increase :D But I believe the program I followed was actually more than the 1,2-1,4mill rp suggested here... That is around 100usd... which is very resonable for the opportunity to see these amazing animals, go on a beautiful boatride from Flores to Komodo and Rinca... snorkel on amazing reefs...

I do agree though that it would be nice with some more transparency as to where the money goes...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back