• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainforest expedition SUMATRA September 2016 - Seeking companions (1 Viewer)

KimseDK

Hi

If you are interested please write here or send a private message
You are welcome to provide input or suggestions for changes, improvements or otherwise.

I am in the process of planning trip to Gunsung Leuser National Park, Sumatra.
(link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunung_Leuser_National_Park)

My plan is to be there for 3-4 weeks.

I have already contact (by an Indonesian interpreter ..) with a guide and accommodation and is about to make an appointment as follows:

1. Guest House located at 1500 m - is located on the beside the park, almost in the rainforest. There are no shops there. There are small guesthouses and food is made and served :). Electricity is via solar panel or maybe there is a generator also.
The price is VERY low.

2. There are marked trails from the guest house into the rainforest. It possible to go without a guide on daily trek.

3. With a Guide and a carrier. 15 day trip into the rainforest. There is full focus on it is a birdtour, and it is made so there is time for bird watching. It is slepping in the forest. The food is served also :)
The price is also here very low.

A bit about me
I have seen the birds for 30 years and have been 2x in rainforest before (Thailand and Tanzania). I have also ealier worked as a professional bird watcher. After a some years away from birdwatching, I have now again the time to get out and travel. Iam 45 years. My fitness level will get better until september 2016 :) My english is not perfect.

Who are you
The desire and interest in getting out in the rainforest and get nature and bird experiences. Whether you are an experienced or a beginner in bird watching does not mean that great (the birds are new for me, so I am "newbie").

The important thing is that you are nice person. Age and gender do not matter.

Your fitness level for walking in the forest must be some fairly okay. If you are completely out of shape, this is not a trip for you.

Note
Although I have already contacted a Guide etc, it's not a trip that I prepare for you. If you want to join, so I expect you take an active part in the preparation.

Note II
Note. This is a trip without luxury. However, with nature and bird in a class by itself.

Iam leaving Denmark on 30.08.2016, heading Sumatra on Jungle birding trip. I will stay for 1 month. 15 days in guesthouse located insite Geuser Leuser National Park. And 15 days of Jungle trekking.

The price for guesthouse included all meal ect. is around 3 usd a day.
Jungle trekking included all meal, 1 x guide, 1 x porter is around 2o usd a day.

You can join in - write message if interested or questions.

Best from Kim

Your fitness level for walking in the forest must be some fairly okay. If you are completely out of shape, this is not a trip for you.

LOL!!! But if you are really interested to do the trip in nature even if you are out of shape, you can probably still can do it!

I have a friend who is completely not fit for mountain trekking but we still let him go with us. We make sure to help him and not leave him every step of the way.

Anyway, good luck to your trip!!! Don't forget to post pictures here.

LOL!!! But if you are really interested to do the trip in nature even if you are out of shape, you can probably still can do it!

I have a friend who is completely not fit for mountain trekking but we still let him go with us. We make sure to help him and not leave him every step of the way.

This is fine in certain circumstance but understand that returning to a comfy guesthouse when you've had enough, won't be an option. Reaching the daily objective will be essential or you won't get in to the range of the specific species you're going for. You couldn't do it in certain places or you'd end up spending the night out and if not prepared that can be unpleasant, Gunung Leuser is one of those places.

A gentle ramble is one thing but specific endemic birds being the objective here I think that you need to be up to it or it's unfair on other members of the trip who may have to miss out if they get held back.

Andy

hiking Gunung Leuser NP is quite tough, but well worth it. May I ask which location that guest house is at???

I have stayed in the park for quite a while and it is an amazing place. In the mid to late 90'ies it was still quite easy to have daily hornbill sightings, but within the last few years they have become more scarce.

with a 15day hike you can cover alot of ground, like a mt leuser climb or Belankejeren - ketambe via bukit lawang to Berastagi...very jealous on that trip :D be prepared to cross streams and steep rocksurfaces on wet and slipery treetrunks :)

Remember to stock on electrolytes at the pharmacy (Apotik) before going

God tur...

Hi

Regarding fitness level
I wrote: Your fitness level for walking in the forest must be some fairly okay. If you are completely out of shape, this is not a trip for you. It means to me that if you are "completely out of shape" then it will be too hard. Too hard can meant that it would become a survival trip and not a bird / nature happy-trekking.

I myself is pretty big guy with too much weight - but my fitness level is not 100% miserable :)

Kurakura
I hope we can talk before iam leaving.
I will be in kedah with Mr. Jali: https://pendakianleuser.wordpress.com/contack/ in the "RAINFOREST
LODGE KEDAH".

I will bring 2 kg of electrolytes.... and some phamacy stuff.

"be prepared to cross streams and steep rocksurfaces on wet and slipery treetrunks :)"
River is no problem - steep rockfaces iam not so sure... HA HA.
It will probably be many challenges, but take it slow. It should also be a comfortable ride.

I will go to Sumatra again :)
------------------------------------
Are you interested?
Rainforest - Sumatra, Indonesia.
I'm thinking of going to the rainforest again. Were at Sumatra, Indonesia throughout September 2016. Gunung Leuser National Park is one of Asia's largest and best preserved rainforests. A large part of the forest has been close to the outside world for over 30 years, on ethnic unrest in northern Sumatra. There is now peaceful :)

When and for how long?
Is open to ideas. My thought is December 2017, or January 2018 ... or ??. Ca. 3 weeks duration.

Tiger and bears
There are tigers, elephants, bears, orangutans, monkeys, rhinos in the woods, in addition to many other cats, birds, insects, reptiles, etc. Listen to this record from the forest:
1. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzBc_GWRwsaQSzBzUVZmWUJISWs
2. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzBc_GWRwsaQS0lOZk5yV3cwYlE

General care gives full security
I have good contacts and everything can be planned before departure. Too much money, you can carry your cases, serve food and even get a "personal assistant" to keep your camera or butterflynet ...
Guides and bearings are seriously experienced people. I felt at no time at my last month's trip in the woods.

Birds
I'm a birdwatcher and it's my main purpose with another trip to the area - in addition to the experience of the forest. I hope this time to be able to set up the mistnet to detect some species that are hidden in the dense underground.
Seemed it could be exciting with participation from other "professional groups / interests".

Note
The area is mountain range, max height is however 3100m. An okay for good physics is required to be in the area. But there is no luck with me and stress. My thought is like before: camping for several days at selected locations and from there walking / walking around.
OBS !! Have to start training again ....
Please share this post.

Are you interested in knowing more please call :)

Sincerely
Kim Liljehult - Denmark
email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Do you have a trip report or similar from your last trip?

Hi Arbu :)

Have you been in similiars ares yourself?

No, all my record is still in my notebook.

The species list was no so long, since i did not know any voice at all. After some weeks in the forest I was familiar with the commen voice.

I have a lot of voice record and notes... but is takes so long times to go into identity records.

Although I have 30 years of experience in birdwatching (including working as a professional birdwatcher) and have been in rainforest for months before, it's extreme bird watching this place. It's really hard to see and find the birds and the walking up and down is hard.

I think what is really exciting is that the forest is almost unexplored. A look out over this huge forest considering how few ornithologists have been here. It would be totally illogical if we can not find out more of eg Giant Pitta.
Biodiversity also tells it all. There are both tiger, orangutang, bears, rhino and many other good.

Did i see those species, yes:
Sumatran Trogon
Sunda Minivet
Sunda Bulbul
Sumatran Babbler
Sumatran Laughingthrush
Sumatran Cochoa
Sumatran Leafbird
Blue-masked Leafbird

Kim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back