• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders of Europe by Lars Gejl (1 Viewer)

dogfish

Has anyone bought or had a leaf through this title? I own lots of wader books so to interest me it would need to be very detailed on sub-specific ID etc.

[URL="http://www.nhbs.com/title/214715/waders-of-europe?bkfno=235436&ca_id=1495&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3Y6Mg-
Sean

Now I know I'm a bit OCD but the shape of this book puts me off, it being almost square!

Most mainstream books don't go for this shape and despite what may be excellent content, I probably won't buy it. No idea why publishers do this, it's not popular at all IMHO.

It makes a bold statement here and maybe a clue to your question

'Waders of Europe is the ultimate guide to wader identification, ecology and biology. Through outstanding photography and concise, detailed text, this book is indispensable for anyone interested in learning more about waders, and is an invaluable tool for identifying birds to species level in the field.

A

Last edited:
I bought a copy of this recently as part of my 'improving my wader identification' project for this coming winter.

There is a review of it here http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/v2/Content/Book-Review-Waders-of-Europe.aspx?s_id=746016909

Despite the odd format it is a beautiful piece of work with some lovely photographs. However, if you are already very knowledgeable about waders I suspect you will not learn much new from it. The above review sums it up nicely and has a few sample pages. The commoner species typically get four to six pages, the rarities typically just get two. There isn't a great deal of detail regarding subspecies. I would describe it more as a very good broad overview of European waders rather than the ultimate guide claimed on the rear cover, and I will certainly be using it alongside a number of other guides for my winter project.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back