• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG 10x42 Review-Allbinos (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
For those who watch the Allbinos reviews, the 10x42 EDG has a recent review now posted. It has now been posted and has reached the top ranking, and has also received the highest score they have "ever" posted for any binocular.

Check out the review, a very nice rating, not one thing to score a negative.
I agree with the findings. I have them, I am pleased every tiime I use put them up to view.

Jerry

Jerry,
Woooo! Lucky you. (and poor Dennis!) What are the funny bumps sticking out on the armor near the objectives for?
Ron

I compared the pictures of this single hinge 10 x 42 EDG II with my double hinged 10 x 32 EDG I and I believe I see a significant change in the binoculars coverings.

There is much more metal on the exterior of the EDG I. For example, on the EDG I the holes which the straps go through are solid metal and this metal extends in a widening ring completely around the circumference of the binocular tubes just beneath the metal ring housings for the ocular tubes (in fact it is integral with these housings) and thence adjacent and along side the focus wheel. This metal also supports the back hinge and then continues along the interior of each objective tube to the front hinge, which is also metal and thence from there around the circumference of both tubes behind the objectives.

As near as I can tell, all this metal is not on the EDG II. The EDG II appears to be, as far as I can see, mostly rubber composition covered with a triangular metal strip on the interior of each objective tube which supports the hinge and focus wheel but which does not extend much further than the length of the hinge.

This looks like a major redesign of the exterior and not simply the removal of the front hinge.

I hope what I wrote describes the differences clearly. And note that I am comparing a 42mm with a 32mm.

Bob

PS: The review of the housing of the 10 x 42 EDG says that the eye cups are fitted with 5(?) regulation stops. My EDG I only has 4 positions.

Last edited:
Time for a reality check!

The allbinos boyz say that the 10x42 EDG's distortion (pincushion is what they mean here, not edge distortion, a measure they post under "Blurring at the edge of the FOV") as "The distance of the first curved line from the field centre compared to the field of view radius: 88% +\- 3%". HUH?

Contrast that with the measurement they came up with for the 10x42 HGL, which was "61% +\- 3%". The 10x42 HG/L has extreme "rolling ball" for those of us who can see it whereas the the EDG compares more closely to the 10x42 SE in terms of smooth panning, and they rated the 10x42 SE as 46% + or - 5%, which is more like it.

The EDG might have a bit mooreorless distortion than the SE (it has a wider FOV), but nowhere near the HGL's 61% and certainly not 88% from center. That would make it virtually distortion free and "rolling ballers" worldwide would be balling about it like we did on the HG and SV EL!

I tried Jerry's 10x42 EDG I, and it has nowhere near the amount of the "rolling ball" of the HGL while panning, and from all I've read and from Mike Freiberg has said, the EDG II has the same optics as the original version.

I'll have to read the rest of the review, but that stat stopped me cold. Like Henry, I'm starting to question their methodology because I know that can't be right and that's way more than a + or - 5 sigma deviation error.

That one measurement might be just a glitch, but it calls into question the other measurements, because if they can be off by THAT much on one measurement, they could be off on others as well.

For example, one of the reasons they gave the 10x42 EDG such a high rating is because they found it was sharp to the "EDG". Clever name, but it's not. Damn close (~ 85-87%) but not sharp to the very edge like the HGL and apparently the SV EL.

Not sure how they arrived at that measurement, I'll have check their methodology section, but I used a star test for my guesstimate. I assume they would too (or a point light source on the ground like Henry uses), but have a more precise way to measure edge sharpness than in just eyeballing it like me.

Until I read the "blurring at the edge" measurement, I thought perhaps they might have mixed up the edge distortion measurement with the field distortion measurement since 88% is close to my guesstimate of edge distortion.

Brock

Last edited:
Ron:

They are there to keep the objective covers in place. They are not funny, but do keep things
in place. The EDG II, has some improvements, over the original EDG. and that is one.
The Nikon EDG has the best and smoothest focuser that is available in any binocular. I only
make this statement, upon experience, comparing many Swaro. including. SV. and Zeiss FL.

You do mention Dennis, and I have not heard him mention the Nikon EDG. I have, and I do
think the new Nikon EDG is a very nice optic, easily, in the range of the new Swaros.
They are in the very top tier.

I would very much prefer the Nikon EDG ahead of the Zeiss FL, as I have had owned them both.
I am spoiled with the the great edg performance of the Nikons, and so for me, I am one who would recommend the Nikons, or the Swarovskis.

In my simple view of things, give me great optics, and that includes the Nikons, SE, LXL, EDG,
and the Swaros. SLC and EL. I have tried Zeiss and Leica, but they are not on my list.

Jerry

I compared the pictures of this single hinge 10 x 42 EDG II with my double hinged 10 x 32 EDG I and I believe I see a significant change in the binoculars coverings.

There is much more metal on the exterior of the EDG I. For example, on the EDG I the holes which the straps go through are solid metal and this metal extends in a widening ring completely around the circumference of the binocular tubes just beneath the metal ring housing for the ocular tubes and thence adjacent and along side the focus wheel. This metal also supports the back hinge and then continues along the interior of each objective tube to the front hinge, which is also metal and thence from there around the circumference of both tubes behind the objectives.

As near as I can tell, all this metal is not on the EDG II. The EDG II appears to be, as far as I can see, mostly rubber composition covered with a triangular metal strip on the interior of each objective tube which supports the hinge and focus wheel but which does not extend much further than the length of the hinge.

This looks like a major redesign of the exterior and not simply the removal of the front hinge.

I hope what I wrote describes the differences clearly. And note that I am comparing a 42mm with a 32mm.

Bob

Bob:

You are right, the EDG II has "mooreorless" rubber than the EDG I. After having both
the 42 and 32, either model will be very good.

Last edited:
Bob:

You are right, the EDG II has "mooreorless" rubber than the EDG I. After having both
the 42 and 32, either model will be very good.

Thanks for confirming that Jerry.

One question, if you please, about the focus wheel?

Does the EDG II's focus wheel still have 3 positions? Fully closed for focusing; 1st position open for free wheeling; and 2nd position, fully open, to set the diopter. Or has that sequence changed?

Bob

Last edited:
What would be the purpose of a 'free wheeling' position on the focus?

You can put the binocular on a tripod, fix the focus on a particular spot or object and you don't have to worry about it moving while you concentrate on it or remove your eyes from it.

Bob

From an ergonomics point of view, which I value to be as important as the optics within the binocular, I see two reassuring things. The diopter adjustment system under the focus wheel has clickstops, very good. No more slipping diopter.
And as Bob mentioned, the metal visible on the inside of the tubes gives me an insight (literally) in the build quality of the single hinge bridge. The extending metal from the hinge downwards will give structural integrity of the strength of the bridge, which is good and even better that you can actually see it. I suppose Nikon could have covered this metal extension with rubber, but I'm glad they chose not to. The Swarovski single-hinged SLC HD has most likely a similar sturdy construction, but as it is covered by the rubber on the inner tubes, it's not visible on the outside, and this leaves some room for speculation on the strength of the bridge construction.

Nicely done, Nikon.

Best regards,

Ronald

...The diopter adjustment system under the focus wheel has clickstops, very good. No more slipping diopter...

Nicely done, Nikon.

Best regards,

Ronald

Click stops on eyecups may be a good idea but on the dioptre adjustment, I am not sure whether they would have the precision of a continuously adjustable wheel, as there could be focus points between stops. Nikon's friction controlled dioptre system in the SE porro glasses has rarely had complaints about slippage. The locking system in the HGL/LXL glasses seems to be the best of the lot. (I am aware of the arguments for placing the dioptre control inside the focussing wheel.)
Best wishes,
Chhayanat

Click stops on eyecups may be a good idea but on the dioptre adjustment, I am not sure whether they would have the precision of a continuously adjustable wheel, as there could be focus points between stops. Nikon's friction controlled dioptre system in the SE porro glasses has rarely had complaints about slippage. The locking system in the HGL/LXL glasses seems to be the best of the lot. (I am aware of the arguments for placing the dioptre control inside the focussing wheel.)
Best wishes,
Chhayanat

I too like the HG diopter adjustment set-up the best. Enough resistance to stay put but not too much to need to push hard, and it locks when you push the ring down.

I found the EDG diopter problematic not just because you have to pop up the focuser knob (well, on the sample I tried, the problem was keeping the focuser knob engaged rather than popping it off) but rather because the diopter ring itself had a very smooth surface, with tiny indents that offer no grip whatsoever. A knurled ring would be much easier to grip, particularly with gloves in this type of set-up.

Brock

Time for a reality check!

The allbinos boyz say that the 10x42 EDG's distortion (pincushion is what they mean here, not edge distortion, a measure they post under "Blurring at the edge of the FOV") as "The distance of the first curved line from the field centre compared to the field of view radius: 88% +\- 3%". HUH?

Brock

Hi Brock
i am going to publish my impressions about Nikon EDG 8x42 on binomania.it. As you know I tested the Nikon EDG , for a few weeks with various TOP OF RANGE, and then I also did test it to the guys in the "mega-review". I've used a lot the EDG with my 8.5x42 Swarovision. I can only relate my impressions regarding a single exemplar of EDG 8x42 vs a single exemplar of 8.5x42 Swarovisio. I have noticed this, excuse me for my poor english. Looking at the stars ,on a tripod. The Swaro is perfect: it has no gemetric aberration, no coma, no astigmatism, and the field is "totally flat" The only problem is that a field so flat and perfect generates a slight elongation (is it right the terms) of the images to the edge, and is it noticeable in some cases. The Swarovision 10x50 and 12x50, that i've tested, do not have these performance.They are slightly worse;)
The Nikon is only slightly lower. A bit 'of astigmatism and coma at the extreme of the edge , and an image that is not "totally flat". The problem is that when there are, at the edge of the field, few astigmatism and coma is quite difficult to understand, what is the aberration that prevails. I hope you understand.

By the way, If I had not the Swarovision I would say that the Nikon, in the diurnal observation, provides an excellent flat field. .This is always the problem: when people try out the binoculars they have to do comparative!And this is equally difficult
I preferred the Nikon, compared to my Swarovision, for three things: focus, contrast,slightly higher thanks also his slightly warm hue and the use in panning. Nikon has few pincushion distorsion .My "eyes and my brain" get a more natural vision by panning with the Nikon EDG
That's all. As soon as I publish this review, I will inform you
Best Regards from Italy

Hi Brock
i am going to publish my impressions about Nikon EDG 8x42 on binomania.it. As you know I tested the Nikon EDG , for a few weeks with various TOP OF RANGE, and then I also did test it to the guys in the "mega-review". I've used a lot the EDG with my 8.5x42 Swarovision. I can only relate my impressions regarding a single exemplar of EDG 8x42 vs a single exemplar of 8.5x42 Swarovisio. I have noticed this, excuse me for my poor english. Looking at the stars ,on a tripod. The Swaro is perfect: it has no gemetric aberration, no coma, no astigmatism, and the field is "totally flat" The only problem is that a field so flat and perfect generates a slight elongation (is it right the terms) of the images to the edge, and is it noticeable in some cases. The Swarovision 10x50 and 12x50, that i've tested, do not have these performance.They are slightly worse;)
The Nikon is only slightly lower. A bit 'of astigmatism and coma at the extreme of the edge , and an image that is not "totally flat". The problem is that when there are, at the edge of the field, few astigmatism and coma is quite difficult to understand, what is the aberration that prevails. I hope you understand.

By the way, If I had not the Swarovision I would say that the Nikon, in the diurnal observation, provides an excellent flat field. .This is always the problem: when people try out the binoculars they have to do comparative!And this is equally difficult
I preferred the Nikon, compared to my Swarovision, for three things: focus, contrast,slightly higher thanks also his slightly warm hue and the use in panning. Nikon has few pincushion distorsion .My "eyes and my brain" get a more natural vision by panning with the Nikon EDG
Best Regards from Italy

Greetings from Bedford Falls (soon to be renamed a "Pottersville" by the local bankers and developers),

As the American saying goes, "All things in moderation" (of course, if most Americans actually followed this adage, so many of them wouldn't be in debt! :)

If you read the reviews at Allbinos.com, you would think that regardless of the amount, distortion (pincushion, in this case) was always a bad thing since the less pincushion binoculars have, the more points they give binoculars in this category.

From my perspective, binoculars used for terrestrial pursuits such as birding should have some pincushion to offset the "rolling ball effect" (or as I think you put it "elongation"). Here "elongation" at the edges usually refers to coma, pinpoint stars deforming into "comets".

The Allbino boyz also say that an optical company has not done a good job at "controlling distortion" when there is too much for their tastes. They are referring to pincushion. It's as if the distortion was there in the blank glass and the optical company failed to take it out, but as you know, and I'm sure they know, this is not the case (this phrasing could be a misunderstanding from translation).

Optical companies add pincushion to binoculars. If they do not add pincushion, for some users, the image will seem to roll over a positively curved surface while panning with the binoculars.

Holger Merlitz has shown that the distortion pattern in the Swarovision is more complex than merely having a low amount of pincushion. As you move from the centerfield, there is some pincushion but toward the edges, it drops off and there's barrel distortion. Holger calls this "anomalous distortion,", which he says "may in certain cases amplify the impression of the globe effect"

Here's his report in case you haven't read it:

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/globe/globe_faq.html

I haven't tried the SV EL yet, so I haven't seen the "waving mustache effect" (the "anomalous distortion" that seems to curve up at the ends like a handlebar mustache). Henry Link from this forum has also found this in SV EL (sorry Henry if I didn't properly credit you, not sure if you or Holger were the first to discover this "anomalous distortion," but he has a Website so it's easier link to his comments than dig yours out of the archives).

Since that I am susceptible to "rolling ball," I expect the SV EL would not create smooth panning for me like the EDG does. Panning with the EDG seems as smooth as the Nikon SE series, and in fact, the whole view looks similar to the SE series to me.

You give up a little edge performance with the EDG vs. the SV EL (In a star test, I found the 10x42 model sharp to about 85% from center, so you don't give up much), but you gain smooth panning so the optics do not call attention to themselves.

Surprisingly, Allbinos rated the pincushion distortion as the first curved line appearing 88% from the center in the 10x42 EDG, which would make it virtually distortion free. They rated the 10x42 HGL as having the first blurred line occurring 61% from the center. This is very puzzling to me, because the full sized HGLs have the worse "rolling ball effect" that I've ever seen! The 10x42 EDG is much, much better in this regard. So I question those figures.

http://www.allbinos.com/215-binoculars_review-Nikon_10x42_EDG.html

My ideal binocular is one that acts like an extension of my own eyes. You forget that you're using binoculars because the view is so natural. For people who are immune to "rolling ball," the ideal could be the SV EL. For those who do see "rolling ball," it might be the EDG. For those who don't experience "scrolling" from high levels of pincushion, it could be the Ultravid or FL.

Not everybody notices "rolling ball" or "pincushion" as Holger explains in his report, it has to do with the amount of distortion in our own eyes. So one person's meat is another person's turnips (except vegetarians :).

This is the difficultly in reading a review that is made by just one person. Despite what objective data you might get in the review, whether or not the reviewer recommends the binoculars comes down to his/her individual preferences, which is one reason why I like review sites where a group of people try the same binoculars. You get different perspectives from a number of different users.

It's also helpful to have more than one sample of the same binoculars on hand for reviews since sample variation, while more prevalent at lower price points, can also occur at the premium level as I found from my own experience. But hey, premium binoculars these days are outrageous priced, so to get your hands on two or three samples is no easy feat!

Thanks for your wonderful reviews. I look forward to reading the review of the 8x42 EDG. Please post a photo of Anna holding the EDG. Lei è molto bella!

Brock

Last edited:
Brock,

Here are links to my threads with photos of the distortion characteristics of the 8.5x42 SV. The first one shows angular magnification distortion and rectilinear distortion near the edge of the field compared to a Nikon EDG, Zeiss FL and Leica Ultravid. The second one shows the “anomalous” rectilinear distortion across the SV field compared to the SLC-HD and a Zeiss FL. Note that in the first thread I wasn't yet aware of the anomalous distortion in the SV.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161309

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=175077

Henry

Last edited:
Henry,

Your second post (July 3, 2010) almost induced me to try out the SLC-HD since it has exactly the features I would hope for, but I waited until the urge went away. Unfortunately, the urge has now returned.

So, thanks a lot. |;|
Ed

Brock,

Here are links to my threads with photos of the distortion characteristics of the 8.5x42 SV. The first one shows angular magnification distortion and rectilinear distortion near the edge of the field compared to a Nikon EDG, Zeiss FL and Leica Ultravid. The second one shows the “anomalous” rectilinear distortion across the SV field compared to the SLC-HD and a Zeiss FL. Note that in the first thread I wasn't yet aware of the anomalous distortion in the SV.

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=161309

http://birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=175077

Henry

Thanks, Henry, I booked marked those threads for future reference. You really could use your own Website so all these tests, photos, and reviews could be collected in one place like Holger's Website, Allbinos, bnomania, etc. Even Edz has his technical reports in a separate section of CN.

I'm not sure if you'd want to put in the time, toil, and expense of creating a Website and maintaining it. It would be nice, though. You certainly deserve one.

I see I made my usual comment: "I would chose the view that looked most like my naked eye view, both stationary and while panning."

I guess there's a bit of old Winston in me. In fact, when people call and ask for me, I say, "It is me." :)

Brock

Hi Brock

Best Regards from Italy

Piergiovanni:

I have been watching with interest your recent reviews on Binomania. Great work,
by the way, and how could any testers be treated to a better site to try out many
of the best optics in the world. Have you noticed the envy from some here.

I have spent some time with the Nikon EDG, and that is both vs. I and II in the
10x42, for well over a year, and the Swarovision 8.5x42. I do agree with you in your findings.

The focuser is easily better in the Nikon EDG, I think the colors are great in both,
and as far as contrast, I do not have a favorite. The EDG does offer the nice
compromise of pincushion when panning and is better here, and I can get along with both quite well.

I do prefer both of these to any other binoculars I have tried. ;)

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back