• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astro Eyepieces on spotting scopes? (1 Viewer)

Cheers Ron, hope you enjoy the new scope. I will let you know how the Optolyth zoom works out, if I don't like it I expect I will do the same as you, sell the lot and get something else.

Well, I have tried the 22x-60x zoom, not overly impressed to be honest. Not as bright as my fixed EP's and even at 22x the FOV seems smaller than the 30x fixed EP. I think I may look for a newer scope.

Last edited:
Well, I have tried the 22x-60x zoom, not overly impressed to be honest. Not as bright as my fixed EP's and even at 22x the FOV seems smaller than the 30x fixed EP. I think I may look for a newer scope.

Sorry to hear that, Is your zoom the 20x60 or the 22x60? the Baader and the Opticron were really good on mine, It was the Fluorite though. Maybe that's the difference. As good as the zooms are, I still think the fixed have the edge.

The FOV on the zooms I tried weren't that good either. Apart from that they were fine.

Sorry to hear that, Is your zoom the 20x60 or the 22x60? the Baader and the Opticron were really good on mine, It was the Fluorite though. Maybe that's the difference. As good as the zooms are, I still think the fixed have the edge.

The FOV on the zooms I tried weren't that good either. Apart from that they were fine.

Hi Ron, the zoom is 22x-60x

Hi Ron, the zoom is 22x-60x

If yours is the same zoom I had (22x60) it was awful. so I wouldn't write your scope off just yet. Try the Baader or the Opticron SDLv2. It would only cost you return postage to try them.

The latest Optolyth zoom is a 20x60.

Did your zoom come in a green plastic case. with a price sticker on the bottom?

Ron

If yours is the same zoom I had (22x60) it was awful. so I wouldn't write your scope off just yet. Try the Baader or the Opticron SDLv2. It would only cost you return postage to try them.

The latest Optolyth zoom is a 20x60.

Did your zoom come in a green plastic case. with a price sticker on the bottom?

Ron

Thanks Ron, Yep, thats the one, A green case but sticker on the side. I have to admit the 30x fixed EP seems fine with my scope. Will give it some thought, but tempted to upgrade the whole lot.

Thanks Ron, Yep, thats the one, A green case but sticker on the side. I have to admit the 30x fixed EP seems fine with my scope. Will give it some thought, but tempted to upgrade the whole lot.

The reason I'm asking is I just wondered if it was the one I sold. Mine had a price sticker in on the bottom of the green case. £115.

I don't know what the weathers been like where you are, here in the N/W it never stops raining, very poor light quality. Nothings looking brilliant through my scope at the moment.

I don't know what the weathers been like where you are, here in the N/W it never stops raining, very poor light quality. Nothings looking brilliant through my scope at the moment.

Same here in germany, the view through any scope is lousy - don't rush to decisions in that light, especially if you don't have a comparison...

Joachim

Same here in germany, the view through any scope is lousy - don't rush to decisions in that light, especially if you don't have a comparison...

Joachim

Good advice, you're in the same position as me, trying to assess the quality of a scope in poor light. Even when you have more light, it's still poor quality for assesing a scope. Having said that, the zoom you have is hopeless, no need to wait for the light to improve for that. Lol

Hi,

have looked at the opticron pages and done some quick calculations for the different linear true field of view numbers for different bodies (they don't give an afov) - comes out at 41 deg at the long end and 72 deg at the short end (+-2 or so). This looks roughly the same as the measured values for the baader mk III given here (although at the end of the thread sb has another set of measurements which give a higher afov towards the long end):

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/287534-hyperion-zoom-mark-iii-tested-afov/

Maybe I'll try to measure the afov of the opticron - the thread gives some easy methods

Joachim

The reason I'm asking is I just wondered if it was the one I sold. Mine had a price sticker in on the bottom of the green case. £115.

Been just the same, but a little bit of sun today, though I have other things to be done today. Your right, the 22 - 60 x zoom is very poor, I will be getting shot of it, it did not have a price sticker on the bottom, just the optolyth sticker on the side of the green case, but obviously same older type that you had.

Hi,

and while you are at it, you might also make a shot of the body so we can guess the age. I would not get rid of this without having tried a modern EP on it. The Opticron fit with just an O ring, right - giosblue?

Joachim

Hi,

and while you are at it, you might also make a shot of the body so we can guess the age. I would not get rid of this without having tried a modern EP on it. The Opticron fit with just an O ring, right - giosblue?

Joachim

Yes, the Opticron works fine with a couple of O rings.
The difference between the SLDv2 and the 22x60 is unbelievable until to see it with your own eyes. The Optolyth 22x60 would make a very nice paper weight though. I would like to see some pics of the lenses to see how old they are.

Yes, the Opticron works fine with a couple of O rings.
I would like to see some pics of the lenses to see how old they are.

-and while you are at it, you might also make a shot of the body so we can guess the age. I would not get rid of this without having tried a modern EP on it.

Joachim
Hi both, here is the scope and EPs, 20x is in the middle. Also a photo of the thread on the scope, you can see there is a much smaller, (less than 1.25") thread inside the 37mm EP Thread. The last photo is an Japanese, Opticron I think, 20x to 45x zoom I have lying around, which I can't get to fit anything. I have an Optolyth astro adapter, but the nose on the other non Optolyth EP'S i have are too long to seat properly, they will not go right into the scope. Suggestions very welcome.

Ben

Attachments

• OPTOLYTH TBS80-1.JPG
    OPTOLYTH TBS80-1.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Optolyth EP's.JPG
    Optolyth EP's.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Optolyth EP Thread.JPG
    Optolyth EP Thread.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Jap 20-45x Zoom Opticron.JPG
    Jap 20-45x Zoom Opticron.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 135
Hi,

thanks for the pictures - your Optolyth is indeed an older version with the embossed type - later are printed. There is also an HD version of this which looks the same except for a red line saying HD Fluorite Lens on the tripod adapter ring. See this ebay offer for pictures (also with the 22-60 zoom).

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Optolyth-TBS-80-HD-F-22-60x-OVP-Mit-Tasche-Spektiv-Fernrohr/221867157830

I could not id the opticron ED - and it looks like opticron. If it was not expensive you might try if you can remove the funnel like plastic thingy below the thread. Check if the moving front element (you can see it mooving back and forth when zooming) does not loose its seating when doing so.

Or order an SDLv2 from amazon in spring when the weather is ok, try it and if it's not good - send back.

Should I get sent to London on business this year (it has happened before) I'll give you a shout and bring mine if you still have the Optolyth.

Joachim

Thanks for the pics, first off, just to be clear, there is no Astro adapter for the Optlyth scope. The simple fact is the eyepiece aperture is not wide enough. The one exception to this that I know of, is the Baader zoom, that's because it's modular. The Baader fits well and works well, it's like having a new scope. The Opticron also works well, I would say better than the Baader, but the FoV is not quite as wide. Both are a massive improvement on the 22x60 Optolyth. At the time, I had the Kowa 883 and the Opto side by side, the main difference to my eyes was the FoV and the Kowa was brighter, less grainy, (which you would expect given it's 88mm lens.).
It might have had had a slight edge in resolution and contrast. To be honest I wish I had kept the Opto until I had done more evaluating. You have to ask yourself when you have something as that's 20 or 30 years old, is it worth spending money on, or, do you put the money to a new or s/h scope?
If you're on a tight budget, with a couple of hundred quid to spend, then I would say yes. There is no doubt in my mind that top quality, older scopes can get a new lease of life with the latest EPs. Having said that, I sold mine and the EPs for £330. I bought a S/H Opticron HR80ED, with SDLv2 zoom, in mint condition, the latest model for £500. So if you take the Baader out of the equation, it's only cost me £200 to upgrade to a scope that is only two years old. AS they say, you pays your money and makes your choice.

Last edited:
Hi giosblue,

yes I'd have loved to read more comparison between the Opto TBG-80 HD and a current upper midrange scope like the HR80ED both with SDLv2. A much fairer competition than vs the Kowa 883 with the 25-60x, arguably the best birding scope and eyepiece money can buy atm...

My bet would have been that they're near indistinguishable in good light with the Opticron slowly getting the upper hand as the light gets worse.
At least that's what I have seen with my Kowa con SDLv2 vs. scopes of fellow birders or in a store (so far Leica 82 in store - didn't make me want to buy it, older Zeiss Diascope 85 nice in principle but soft edges due to no flattener and quite yellow, Swaro ATM/S 65 and 85 liked those, better than mine especially the ATM85 in lousy light - but not 1k€ better). Still missing Swaro ATX and Kowa though...

Same for my old TSN-3 with SDLv2... Unfortunately Opticron is kinda uncommon over here, especially with scopes - have not seen one live. So if you ever get near Frankfurt, Germany give me shout and we'll do a shootout ;-)

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back