• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Closeout spotter for $39.99! (1 Viewer)

JerryL, I would avoid rising to the bait. Political digressions always end badly here. I personally don't like to see political messages of any kind slipped into avatars. For purposes of discussing optics we don't need to know anything about each other's politics.

Henry

JerryL, I would avoid rising to the bait. Political digressions always end badly here. I personally don't like to see political messages of any kind slipped into avatars. For purposes of discussing optics we don't need to know anything about each other's politics.

Henry

Henry,
I agree completely. Using a political avatar is inappropriate in a subject matter forum. It's an attempt to slip in a political message without offering an opportunity to engage with the message.

I only replied because we have an international forum and I think the rest of the world needs to be clear that "Make America great again" is a minority view unrepresentative of the average US citizens opinion or character. I'm more than happy to drop it if we can lose the political avatars (and I include Brock's 1% hat in that as well).

Best to you,
Jerry

I haven't seen any tripod deals that are as good of a deal as the scope mentioned here. I did order one of the inexpensive (read that as under $20) tripods that is similar to the two recommended here in this thread. It is "usuable" in the sense that the person I bought the spotting scope for probably won't have an issue with it. However, as someone that is accustomed to a more scope-friendly design I find the head is the issue with tripods in this price range...assuming the one I bought is any indication. The part of the head that "flips" over..assuming for camera use....does not provide a stable enough base for this scope. When rotating the focusing knob it slightly changes the aiming point of the scope itself.

With that thought in mind I set out to find a more stable tripod and came up with the suggestion below. I have not used it personally but am going by the style of the tripod and my past experience with similar designs. The price range is approximately 50% more the cost of the scope on sale but what good is the scope if you don't have a stable tripod to put it on?

http://www.amazon.com/Xit-XT80TRPRO...&qid=1450277557&sr=1-48&keywords=slik+tripods
That looks a little better than the Sunpak I have for a spare. I looked at one that is like my Sunpak at Best Buy and it was 60 dollars.

Once the scope gets here*, I may look at a good tripod. Something like this.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/tripod-kits/celestron/celestron-trailseeker-tripod-kit

This cute one looks usable. But it will only go so long before breaking.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1608977942&pf_rd_i=172435

If the scope is light enough, a 42 inch tripod might even work.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Incl..._UL160_SR116,160_&refRID=16E8ZT0M00PFJTHR4W3C

Of the Amazon ones, this one is made for scopes
http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Deluxe...1450386642&sr=1-35&refinements=p_8:2229018011

*Scope is here. it needs about 48 inches of tripod. The Sunpak is steadier and easier to pan if I bring the head an inch down, flat to the top of the tripod.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a57/Tero1111/IMG_86731_zpswsir4khg.jpg

Scope is fine. Low eye relief, so I will use it at 15-20x mostly with my glasses on. The eye cup is handy, groups can use it easily.

Last edited:
The Bresser 60mm is actually essentially the same size and weight as my Pentax 65mm.

I put it back in the carry bag so it can bounce around the back pack. The tripod at 24-26 inches sticks out a little bit from the back pack. Many outings I never take the scope out.

My ideal compact scope
here http://www.eagleoptics.com/spotting-scopes/minox/minox-md-16-30x50-w-angled-spotting-scope
is sold out and I did not have 200-300 to spend on a second scope anyway. So will go with the Bresser for now.

Attachments

• scopes.jpg
    scopes.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 50
Great pics and links Tero. I am very happy to see you posting more often again too. :)

I did turn up two further tripods on Amazon that I am considering buying. Both are around $50. The Brunton one looks very good and the MSRP is $200 so it is 75% off. The only bad part is that it is listed at 7 lbs. with the scope added the combo would push 10 lbs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P41ASW/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G6TSWPQORPYY

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029LHW22/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I ordered one of these little spotters ( thanks Frank for the heads up on the deal! ) and it arrived today. Got a chance to open it up after dark and it certainly looks like a decent scope for the price. Actually about what I expected. Build quality is not quite as robust as an older Alpen 728 ( also 15-45x60) that I have. But for $40 I think this little scope is a steal. I will get a chance to further check it out this weekend. I am not expecting it to compete great with with my Nikon ED III, but I hope that it competes close to the Alpen 728.

I am wanting to give this scope to my Son in Law's Father for a Christmas present and want it to at least be a decent scope. I am sure it will fulfill his needs.

** quick question from those who have received this scope- has anyone else noticed that when you tighten up the screw for the rotating collar that it also makes the focus very stiff. And if you tighten up the screw really tight you can hardly move the focus knob.

Last edited:
Thanks Stephen. I was not going to touch that knob! I'll use the scope for my Christmas bird count.

Frank, I post most in bird ID. My son is working a year as Maryland park ranger thru Americore. I have him my 2007 Pentax 10x43s as I do not use 10x much anymore. I gave the Promaster 10x ED still.

Tero,

I haven't hit the Bird ID forum much but will give it a try. I wish your son luck with the temporary position. He is fairly close to where I live, at least in comparison to where you reside. :)

Tero,

Just noticed your Minox link. My opinion, you are better off with the Bresser optically and mechanically. I owned the little Minox at one point and remember the image quality really suffering as you moved up the zoom range, sharpness in particular, plus the focus was overly stiff.

If you were on the lookout for an inexpensive 50 mm scope then I would suggest the Barska Naturescape ED 50mm. Surprisingly good for the $150 or so that it sells for.

http://www.adorama.com/ba123650n.html

Last edited:
Tero,

I wish your son luck with the temporary position. He is fairly close to where I live, at least in comparison to where you reside. :)

He was in Baltimore teaching 3rd grade when that whole mess hit Baltimore. His school closed in May and he quit.

Maryland is close to the shores. If he stays there long enough (girl friend) I'll go visit Cape May with him some fall. He can drive, I can't stand big city traffic anymore. Omaha is an adventure already.

I ordered one of these little spotters ( thanks Frank for the heads up on the deal! ) and it arrived today. Got a chance to open it up after dark and it certainly looks like a decent scope for the price. Actually about what I expected. Build quality is not quite as robust as an older Alpen 728 ( also 15-45x60) that I have. But for $40 I think this little scope is a steal. I will get a chance to further check it out this weekend. I am not expecting it to compete great with with my Nikon ED III, but I hope that it competes close to the Alpen 728.

I am wanting to give this scope to my Son in Law's Father for a Christmas present and want it to at least be a decent scope. I am sure it will fulfill his needs.

** quick question from those who have received this scope- has anyone else noticed that when you tighten up the screw for the rotating collar that it also makes the focus very stiff. And if you tighten up the screw really tight you can hardly move the focus knob.

Hi Stephen,

I just tried my Bresser spotter and I did not notice any or much difference in the focuser. I did notice when I first got this scope that there seems a small indent for the lock screw when in "normal" position . I did not tighten the knob real tight, but did try a little more than normal for me with no problem.

I've got both the Alpen 728 and now the Bresser Spektar and for a glass wearer the Bresser is a much better scope. I haven't been able to use the Bresser outside yet but it has a better eye piece and a much brighter image. Maybe its because the Alpen has a shorter eye relief than the Bresser but I get a much more pleasant image with the Bresser.

I have no problem with tightening the screw for the collar and the focus, it stays the same.

Just an FYI, I ordered the Brunton tripod via Amazon. It says it won't be delivered until after Christmas so it may be a bit before I report back. This may be as good of a deal as the scope considering the original price. I checked out the seller's website and it appears as though if you order two or more then they knock an additional $10 off of the cost of each tripod so that would put the price at $39.99 per tripod. Free shipping too.

https://www.botach.com/brunton-f-tp...and_a_links&utm_medium=email&utm_source=yotpo

Last edited:
Steve and Tommy-

Thanks for addressing the tightening screw for the collar on your samples.

Well... Mine is definitely a bit different. The reason I even noticed it was when I got mine the screw for the collar was quite loose ( was not tightened down much at all ) and when I was first checking out the spotter the body started rotating in the collar. So, then I noticed the screw was loose and I simply tightened it down; not too tight, just firm enough to have collar snug. It was right after that when I went back to use the focus knob I noticed it had stiffened up quite a bit. I thought that that was a bit odd. So- I went back to the collar screw and loosened it up quite a bit and then went back to focuser and sure enough it loosened up.

I definitely thought this was odd, because I thought there should not be a mechanical situation ( at least not a normal one) in which tightening up a rotating collar screw would have an effect on the focus mechanism. So I started to play with the two a bit. And I found there was a point where when tightning up the collar screw that it started to have an effect on focus tension. Then, when tightened a bit more, the focus tension increased a bit more. To finally when the screw on the collar is hand tightened quite tight- the focus knob is just about locked up. Now, there is a point where I can tighten up the collar screw where it holds the body in place and focus is OK, but there is still quite a bit more of tightening left to accomplish with the collar screw- ie, it is not real tight. Anything beyond that point affects the focus tension. Quite odd! Disappointed in getting a possible lemon- although not surprising with QC out of China made optics. Made more disappointing because this was to be a gift. Does not seem worth even shipping cost ( for a $40 spotter) to send it back and pay for shipping. Oh well.

I also did not like the fact that you could not rotated the body to the same degree on both sides because the focus knob gets in the way on one side. So on that side you can not get the body to a horizontal position.

Stephen I did not try to turn my Bresser much at all after loosening the lock screw, I noticed there seems to be a slight indent on mine where I stopped and tightened the screw[normal position]. I would try tightening the screw more, but I am leaving well enough alone just in case.

I got mine today, but it is 30° f and a mix of rain and snow, so it may be a little while before I get to test it. At first glance it looks quite well put together for $40.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back