• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (82 Viewers)

Hi just wanted to ask some of you more experianced birdwatches on a good beginer place in yorkshire to watch the wildlife As ive been to fairburn inns and wanted to get to know more hides to use my new canon 100 to 400mm lens thanks ricky :)

Hi just wanted to ask some of you more experianced birdwatches on a good beginer place in yorkshire to watch the wildlife As ive been to fairburn inns and wanted to get to know more hides to use my new canon 100 to 400mm lens thanks ricky :)

Hi Ricky and welcome. Fairburn Ings is a great place to start. The staff are very helpful and will point you in the right direction. The Kingfisher screen is always worth a look. You never know. The hide nearest to the visitor centre (Pickup?) often provides very close views.

Potteric Carr near Doncaster is nearly always worth a visit.

Showing well at Thornwick fishing pond this evening, 2nd record for Flamborough

CitrineWagtail001edited.jpg

Just back from Samos. Seems all the birds came here while I was gone!

My only lifer of the trip was citrine wagtail!

Report will follow.

We go to Old Moor, between Barnsley and Doncaster quite a lot and also really like Adel Dam too. Another shout for Potteric Carr

Spoonbills

Did an hour at Bank Island today for some birdtrack counts. Reasonably quiet but a high count of 106 Lapwing. Also of note was a female Teal which was a surprise due to lack of water. A single Redshank and also my first Bullfinch since the spring. For a couple of years i have been gripped off by my where to watch birds in Yorkshire book. It mentions categorically that Kingfisher are present on the Derwent between Bank Island and Wheldrake Ings so EVERY time i get to a likely spot out the back of the Cheesecake hide i always take a few minutes to watch for one zooming by. I had never seen anything remotely Kingfisher shaped zoom by and after 2 years i had pretty much given up. Today was watching a tit flock on the far bank and through my bins a blue whoosh. Not a great view but an overwhelming sense of relief. I did have the right spot afterall! :D So patch tick, not county though because i had a pair at tophill low 2 weeks ago. Happy man. Might go to Blacktoft tomorrow for the Spoonbills seeing as i dipped one at Filey a month ago when i decided to drive past the dams to the brigg.

Are there Spoonbills at Blacktoft? Am intending going on Sunday.

Of course, you could also join either my Tuesday or Friday afternoon sessions & try out your lens over a wide variety of local East Yorkshire hotspots throughout the year ;)

Take a look at Rodley Nature Reserve
Regards
John

As it's been a glorious evening we decided to get out & do what my kids have christened the "owl walk" (a circuit across the moors & through Timble Ings). Definitely lived up to it's name tonight - at least 2 SEOs plus a Tawny. Spent about 15/20 mins watching one SEO hunting. Plenty of Wheatears, Mipits & Curlews & a pair of Red Legged Partridges as we were coming away.
We had a club walk in the Ings on Monday evening,heard a few Tawny's in the wood and had at least 15 Woodcock roding along the main ride just as the light went.
Has there been any reports of Nightjar in the Washburn area this year yet ? last year was good for us in that area.

Pete and others. Migrants seem to have been held up by the rubbish weather in April. Just a theory. I'm hoping this remarkable warm spell heralds a change. Decidedly cold in East Anglia on Sunday.

Pete and others. Migrants seem to have been held up by the rubbish weather in April. Just a theory. I'm hoping this remarkable warm spell heralds a change. Decidedly cold in East Anglia on Sunday.
Certainly agree with that,our local Sand Martin colony is only just catching up,this time last year they were just about hatching the first brood.
The Nightjar sites in the Washburn Valley have been a bit hit and miss in recent years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back