• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large partial solar eclipse March 20 (1 Viewer)

Amazingly after the winter we've had in Iceland, it was perfectly clear here in Reykjavík and we had great views. Fabulous light, like a summer's night.

. Total cloud here, actually the cloud was at 700 feet so I suppose that those aboard aircraft would have all seen it.
Indoors, it got very dark between 0930 and 0934 UTC.
The 15 workmen on the building site next door had their welders glasses 14 ready, but didn't need it.

At 1238 UTC outside it was a gloriously sunny day. There is a small sunspot, unusually at the 11.30 position quite a way from the limb. This may be too small to have been seen with projected binocular images, unless firmly tripod mounted. At 0930 UTC it would have been at about the 11 o'clock position, although upside down in a projected image.

In Lincoln, my friend reports beautiful views, about 90% maximum. It got very cold and noticeably dark. However, 3 miles away in the valley it was not seen.

I am not too concerned at not having seen this eclipse, as it means that about 30 million people in Britain had their eyes protected by cloud. This means less visits to the clinics and doctors surgeries, where little can be done anyway to help if any injury is permanent.

But I think that many people had very good views, and hopefully safe ones.

Apparently, it is Iranian New Year today, the equinox, at about 11 PM maybe. This is something I didn't know.

I haven't yet looked at the television to see what happened.

My neighbour had his camera set up for timelapse photography, 1/8000 of a second at F/22, ISO 100 manual exposure and 10 stop neutral density filter. He started at 0830 and carried on until 1030 looking at the cloud.

It is nice to read of people's experiences.

Last edited:
Pretty good views here in Aberdeen. The cloud cover was partial - often enough to 'veil' the sun but usually not so much that it disappeared entirely. There were several minutes of eerie twilight, despite the sun being 'out'.

Partial cloud cover here too, but I still got some great views, and a couple of nice pictures! ;)

Attachments

• DSCF5455.JPG
    DSCF5455.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF5456.JPG
    DSCF5456.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF5458 (2).jpg
    DSCF5458 (2).jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 63
Nice photos, HighNorth.

TimeandDate.com have added a useful page giving the solar and lunar eclipses worldwide, 2015-2016, listing five for the next 18 months or so.

Included is an interactive eclipse calculator, iPad & iPhone Apps links, and a library of resources :

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/

200315-MATT-web_3238992a.jpg

. Actually the NHS is not exempted.

My friend in Lincoln, where the sky was very clear, reports that just after the eclipse people were going to the Lincoln Hospital Accident and Emergency department with eye problems. She asked me if people never learn, and I said maybe not the older generation, although younger people may be getting better education.

Manchester and Nottingham hospitals also report patients with eye problems from the eclipse.
I have not researched the overall picture regarding eye damage from the recent solar eclipse as the sky was predominantly cloudy, and this will have protected many people.

One of the primary schools near me kept all the children indoors, although as it happened it was totally cloudy.
A second, well-regarded, primary school where my friend has two 7-year-old grandchildren actually bought eclipse glasses for the children. I suppose 200 Eclipse glasses might cost around £100, which would be money well spent. I don't know if schools pay VAT on these. As it turned out the children were disappointed as the sky was completely cloudy.

Another secondary school only allowed children who were studying certain subjects to view the eclipse. Presumably science-based subjects.

So a rather strange variety of methods, but at least some youngsters are getting better education.

I thought I had heard it all, but my friend asked a Lincoln fireman if he had seen the eclipse. He said yes.
She asked him what kind of protection he had used for his eyes. He said that he had used a black T-shirt. When she asked why, he said that is what he had been told to use when he was young. I wouldn't think you could actually see much through a black T-shirt, and it is certainly not recommended.
Having heard other tales regarding firemen, it would not surprise me to hear if one had asked a lady to lend him her black underwear so he could view the eclipse. Not a bad chat up line.

. It seems that Svalbard was the best place to see the total eclipse, despite predictions of probable complete cloud cover. The observers who went there had clear skies, took good photos and videos and made good observations.

The Faroe Islands did not do so well. Many people had cloud, although my friend who was on a cruise ship was lucky as the captain decided just before totality to sail several miles out to sea, where luckily the sky was clear or at least clear enough to properly observe the eclipse.

There are good images to be seen in the media.

. It seems that Svalbard was the best place to see the total eclipse, despite predictions of probable complete cloud cover. The observers who went there had clear skies, took good photos and videos and made good observations.

Yeah, I listened to the live broadcast from Svalbard on the radio during the eclispe. Sounded like people had a great time. B :);)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back