• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moderators: Need search help! (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I am new to this sight and have found it very educational. However there is one thing I would like to see improved. When using the search function, the minimum word length must be 3. Well, when looking for a binocular and part of the model is: EL, SL, ED, HD, BA, BN, SE, FL, the list is long, the error message comes up the search term is under the minimum word length of (3). This can be frustrating, as when searching on other internet websites, search is not limited to (3). I am sure that this could be changed, to at least allow a word length of (2). What do you think? Can you change it?

Last edited:
Hi NDHunter

This issue was brought up a couple of months ago in this thread.

If you scroll down you'll find a post by Ollie (our techie guy).

D

If you search on "ED" you'd get millions of "hits" - every word ending in "ed" would be thrown up in addition to every word containing "ed". The search would take much longer and would slow down the servers. This would not be acceptable.

PS Site, in the context of your usage, is spelled "site" not "sight" ;)

Most searches would include the Brand or whatever plus the 2 letter description. So don't worry about the searches with only "ED" etc. I hope you don't criticize every misspelling error or use of words that you see, on this website. Common courtesy please.

Most searches would include the Brand or whatever plus the 2 letter description. So don't worry about the searches with only "ED" etc. I hope you don't criticize every misspelling error or use of words that you see, on this website. Common courtesy please.

I don't think it was a criticism, of your spelling, just a general observation! It did stand out like a sore thumb though! I generally check my posts before I send them 'up' just so you don't get comments like that, although I am sure we have ALL made mistakes in the past, and probably will in the future! |8)|

You shouldn't have a problem with searches if the 'search term' includes more than 3 letters, so if you use the brand name, + 'ED' for example (Zeiss ED) then it should be OK.

Last edited:
Put it in quotes, seach "Leica BN". If there are numbers and letters, try the whole string.
"Swarovski EL 8.5x42"

You can use Google search on a site for more flexible searching of birdforum.net too. Put site:birdforum.net to limit the search to the site.

The limitation here won't change. The forum code is from a third party and has that limitation built in.

The other alternative as Tero points out is to quote the phrase.

And calling people on spelling on the net is a waste of time ;)

No I don't usually - I did it this time because I noticed you'd already edited your post for grammar, yet this was a grammar error.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back