• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In chase of the Golden Pheasant (1 Viewer)

Reader

Wayland wood let me down for the very first time. I have never missed out on Golden Pheasant here so it was a big disappointment that I dipped out this time. I had arrived at the car park just as a couple of birders were about to leave, and they too hadn’t seen any. First place to look is to the right of the car park as I have had them there a few times but nothing hardly moved. One thing I noticed, the wood was full of birdsong, one in particular caught my attention. It was the Marsh Tits pitchu – pitchu call and it wasn’t long before I located it. Ordinary Pheasants were calling from all around the wood and a couple of Jays appeared to be having a right set to and there raucous screeches echoed around the wood. The liquid song of the nuthatch became very evident and the little blighter actually dropped almost at my feet, catching me out completely. It must have realised its mistake and took off, bullet style, for the nearest cover and soon was invisible to view but its call still betrayed its presence. Great Tit and Blue Tit were in full song and the Alarm call of the Blackbird exploded behind me. A Chiffchaff stared its call and it took just over a minute to find this little warbler. A Great spotted Woodpecker flew straight over my head but was gone in a flash but still no sign of the Golden Pheasant. I met another two birders that had been wandering around for a couple of hours without success. Thinking that perhaps I had got to the site a little late I decided to leave and try the Wolferton Triangle for a chance of Golden Pheasant. Problem is I have never been successful at this site.

I decided to try a leisurely drive in this brilliant and warm morning. It was nearly 10am and the sun was bright in the sky. I had to drive with both windows down as it was so warm. I went for a longer drive to Wolferton taking in a couple of detours down little known lanes. There is a little road that comes out of Swaffham that goes to Beachamwell I like driving along. I have had good views of Buzzards along here and I thought that with a day like today I would see some more but it wasn’t to be. I did come across quite a few Yellowhammer feeding alongside a field full of Sheep. As usual, as soon as your camera comes out they take flight and today was no exception.

I carried on along back roads through Narborough, East Walton,Grimston, Hillington and on through the Sandringham Estate before reaching Wolferton. It was time for a sandwich and to just park up for half an hour. This is usually the best way to see the Pheasants as from time to time they tend to do a quick run across the run, well that’s the theory. In practise it never happens to me and today was no different. One consolation was a Muntjac that came out of the wood only about twenty feet in front of me. I couldn’t try for my camera as I’m sure the Muntjac would have shot off. I watched it for a brief couple of minutes but I have never been so close to one of these medium dog sized deer. It was a lovely moment watching this timid looking animal go about its business as if it hadn’t a care in the world. It soon disappeared through the Rhododendron bushes and into the wood.

It was now time to go after the Sardinian Warbler

A great shame you missed out on the Golden Pheasants! I find that they get more elusive through the year with Jan/Feb usually the best months, also I think the scrub clearance the NWT have been carrying out at Wayland Wood has disturbed the birds and driven them much further into the woods. In the last couple of years I have not been succesful at the"traditional" location along the first ride leading right from the carpark but have seen the birds much further in towards the south and east ends of the wood. Alot of these areas are currently taped off because of clearance work but I have seen the birds by going in and walking the rides in that area (naughty I know!!)
I am actually a little worried that this work, (which is being carried out for the benefit of woodland butterflies i believe) will have an adverse effect on the Golden Pheasants which are very vulnerable to disturbance.
On the bright side the Golden Pheasants at Wolferton have become much easier to see this last winter, I had always found this a site that would score in perhaps 1 in 12 visits but I have seen them on 3 out of my last 4 attempts and multiple birds on 2 occaisions. A friend of mine has taken some digishots of 1st winter birds recently so they are obviously been breeding here which is an excellent sign!!
Keep up the report writing, I love to read them whether its places I`m not familiar with or sites I know well...its the next best thing to being out in the field!!

Jason

I share your concern regarding Wayland Wood and said so over a year ago to various people. They all said that they had the best interests of the wood at heart, but I am still not convinced. To me they have ripped out the heart of the wood.

I agree John....in my opinion the wood has been spoilt, at least for the moment. Have been many times during the last few months and have still not seen any Golden Pheasants there....
Still it's always good for "common" woodland birds, which can be just as enjoyable as chasing after rarities.
Look forward to reading further trip reports...

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back