• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Close up filters. (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

I dont know whether these have been covered on BF before so I thought I would post some examples of shots taken with them.They are ideal for someone on a budget in place of a macro lens or extension tubes.The one I used was the Cokin "P" type 2x close up filter.I had it attached to my 300d and EF 35-80mm.It cost me £7 a few years back.Ideally the pics could have done with a bit more DOF but I was handholding.

Attachments

• IMG_9440.jpg
    IMG_9440.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_9439.jpg
    IMG_9439.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Great shots Mike! i bought a set of close up filters a couple of years ago and like yourself haven't really experimented with them yet. After seeing these i think i will dig them out and have a go, with autumn/winter arriving its a good time to do a bit of indoor macro work so its worth keeping an eye out for interesting goodies like acorns etc ..
Keep up the good work
Cheers
Brian

I thought I would resurrect this thread with a couple of examples of Fungi shots I am pleased with that were taken the past few days.

350d,EFS 18-55mm kit lens,Cokin `A` close up filter,tripod,gold cardboard reflector and a black T shirt hung up behind for the backdrop.

Attachments

• IMG_2699 copy.jpg
    IMG_2699 copy.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2675 copy.jpg
    IMG_2675 copy.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2681 copy.jpg
    IMG_2681 copy.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2644 copy.jpg
    IMG_2644 copy.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Excellent shots, Mike. Might have to look into these myself.

Very impressive, indeed. Before seeing your photos it never would have occurred to me to use a close-up attachment on a DSLR. I'll have to see about getting one for my Nikon kit lens.

Are your photos cropped at all? Did you do a lot of post-processing?

Very impressive, indeed. Before seeing your photos it never would have occurred to me to use a close-up attachment on a DSLR. I'll have to see about getting one for my Nikon kit lens.

Are your photos cropped at all? Did you do a lot of post-processing?

Thanks.They were only cropped a little just for composition and had the same amount of post processing as any other shot really.The filters themselves come in different magnifications too.Such as +1,+2 and +3.These shots were taken with the +1.

I recently purchased a Hoya 10x closeup filter to use with my 50mm1.8 lens and I have to say I am pretty impressed with this 'cheap' macroing alternative. Depth of field is a challenge, but overall I see potential

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back