• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is it worth getting cheap binoculars repaired (1 Viewer)

sazcarter

Hi all, yesterday I managed to drop my bins (in their case) onto my wooden floor. Both eyepieces are clear when viewed with respective eye but together the image is doubled in the centre. They are a cheap compact pair of Nikon 12x25 Travelite binoculars, cost about £100 a year ago. Can they be repaired? I assume that the lenses have only been misaligned a little bit. I was wondering if its worth taking then into my local branch of Jessops for advice and possible repair job but obviously not if its going to cost more than a new pair.

Any advice appreciated.

Sarah

Henry B said:
Are they still under warranty, ? send them back for repair.

I'm not sure if the warranty would cover dropping them...I very much doubt it.

Sounds like another £100+ is about to leave your wallet :C

John.

I would take a gamble and send them back to Nikon. A birding friend of mine sent a pair of older Nikon compacts back to them for repair and he received a new pair of their Prostaff ATBs in return. ;)

FrankD said:
I would take a gamble and send them back to Nikon. A birding friend of mine sent a pair of older Nikon compacts back to them for repair and he received a new pair of their Prostaff ATBs in return. ;)

After a quick search, I still have the box, receipt and original 10 year Nikon "limited warranty" for the bins, however this expressly states that damage caused by drops is not covered. Also having looked at the receipt I actually paid £127 for them......

Thanks anyway guys

Sarah

sazcarter said:
After a quick search, I still have the box, receipt and original 10 year Nikon "limited warranty" for the bins, however this expressly states that damage caused by drops is not covered. Also having looked at the receipt I actually paid £127 for them......

Thanks anyway guys

Sarah
Sarah,Send them back anyway.
Steve

sazcarter said:

Thanks anyway guys

Sarah

If you want to get them repaired, it may not be too expensive. It's possible they simply need to be collimated. In my town there are optics repair people who will do that for about $35 US. That seems a lot less than another 127 pounds for a new binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back