• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

Bit of a bugger that Whiskered Tern. I shot up as fast as I could and met up with Mark and R James but, the bird had long departed. And to make matters worse it ends up in Staffs where it spends all day there.

Not a bad day though I guess. The 2 GN Divers, 14 Dunlin, 4 LRP, Whimbrel, 5 Common Sands, Curlew, 12+ Oycs, 7+ Redshanks, 4 Buzzards, Sprawk, Redstart, Swift, Lesser Whitethroat, 4 Whitethroats, numerous Chiffs, Willows and Blackcaps, 7 Yellow Wags and 2 White Wags.

Rock Thrush at Spurn now............we can only dream this far from the coast...........!

You never know Dan, dreams do come true occasionally:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O

Wish that Whiskered Tern had stayed, still that's this years front cover illustration for the CBC report sorted........ unless a better mega turns up;)

Steph'

Good morning at WGP - 3 Whinchat, 1 Wheatear, 1 Yellow Wag, 1 Whimbrel, 2 Common Sand, 3 Redshank, 3 Groppers, 2 White Wags.

Had a few hours down there this afternoon with Chris Brown. The 3 Whinchats showed well from P2. As well as what John has already posted, we had several Reed Warblers, 2 Cetti's, 10 Shelduck, 3 Yellow Wags, 6 Common Terns, Lesser Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Ringed Plover heard and 4 Swifts.

At Carsington this evening 2 GN Divers although there's still 3 present, 8 Redshank, 11+ Dunlin, 2 Common Sands, 2 1st summer Little Gulls, 13 Yellow Wags and 100's of Swallows.

At Carsington this evening 2 GN Divers although there's still 3 present, 8 Redshank, 11+ Dunlin, 2 Common Sands, 2 1st summer Little Gulls, 13 Yellow Wags and 100's of Swallows.

Caught up with the summer plumaged G N Diver this morning.... what a stunner :t:, also one of the immature GN Divers that was a little less mobile, a good morning and it certainly made my day

also a good number of Swifts :t:

Caught up with the summer plumaged G N Diver this morning.... what a stunner :t:, also one of the immature GN Divers that was a little less mobile, a good morning and it certainly made my day

also a good number of Swifts :t:

Just out of curiosity, Dave, how many Swifts did you have? There hasn't been many sightings so far this year.

Half a dozen Swifts bombed over Crich Lane this morning seemingly heading over Wyver too.
3 first summer Little Gulls at Carsington this morning and a reeling Gropper still at Avenue Washlands Chesterfield.

At Carsington today the 3 first summer Little Gulls were joined by an adult later in the day. The 3 G.N.Divers still present. 7 Black-tailed Godwits flew in around 19.00hrs. 2 Ringed Plovers, 8 Redshank, Whimbrel, 4 Common Sands, Dunlin, 2 Wheatear, Redstart, 4 Yellow Wags, 3 White Wags and plenty of Warblers.

Wood Warbler at Carsington today on Stones Island in the first little patch of silver birch & scrub on the right. It was singing around 2.30 and showing quite well. Also 2 Little Gulls by the Wildlife Centre, 5 Lesser Whitethroats and a single Common Whitethroat singing between Sheepwash and the Wildlife Centre, and at least 7 Swifts over Sheepwash car park. Cazillions of hirundines and Blackcaps around as well. Almost made up for missing the Rock Thrush.

Last edited:
Wood Warbler at Carsington today on Stones Island in the first little patch of silver birch & scrub on the right. It was singing around 2.30 and showing quite well. Also 2 Little Gulls by the Wildlife Centre, 5 Lesser Whitethroats and a single Common Whitethroat singing between Sheepwash and the Wildlife Centre, and at least 7 Swifts over Sheepwash car park. Cazillions of hirundines and Blackcaps around as well. Almost made up for missing the Rock Thrush.

A great find, Tom. A few of the regulars were thankful the news was put out and managed to catch up with it later in the afternoon. Despite being regular there myself I still need Wood Warbler for Carsi but I couldn't make it there today.

A great find, Tom. A few of the regulars were thankful the news was put out and managed to catch up with it later in the afternoon. Despite being regular there myself I still need Wood Warbler for Carsi but I couldn't make it there today.

Hi Dave, glad to hear a few got it. I waited around for a while but I couldn't find a single birder to tell. Had to leave suddenly when my daughter went into meltdown!

Cracking find Tom, I was in Sheepwash with Richard who left for Stones Island about 20 minutes before the news broke. I belted round to Stones where there were several birders and Richard non of who knew about it. A quick circuit of the Island, and I heard it singing, and then it gave good views.
Dave shame you couldn't get up, I would have given you a lift home in normal circumstances, but a bit of grief at home.
Also a Sedge Warbler on Stones, 3 GND an at least 8 Yellow Wags.

Last edited:
got the wood warbler .but no sign of any little gulls around 6 o clock ..dont tell me they were round sheepwash ,had about an hour to look (always under pressure from the fun extractor).....ps has anyone seen a grey partridge?? sounds like an easy bird but ive not got one this year?

got the wood warbler .but no sign of any little gulls around 6 o clock ..dont tell me they were round sheepwash ,had about an hour to look (always under pressure from the fun extractor).....ps has anyone seen a grey partridge?? sounds like an easy bird but ive not got one this year?

The Little Gulls were between Stones and the Wildlife centre, and they are still present this morning.
Also this morning 2 Common Terns, 2 LRP, 2 Greylag,
2 Garden Warbler,Sedge Warbler, Dunlin, Yellow Wag, Herring Gull, and 2 GND.

The 3 Whinchats were still at WGP this morning. Also at least 5 Yellow Wags, 2 White Wags,LRP, Common Sand and 2 Groppers. Plenty of Swifts passing through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back