• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (48 Viewers)

Had a great night last night, saw Wedding Present in Leeds, picked up a bottle of sherry from all night Tesco on the way back and had a glass while watching the first half hours play. Went so well I stayed up and had a few more until they were all out. Bit tired today but only 8 working days* 'til the holidays.

*Apply the term loosely as tests are out of the way so we are making snowflakes next week.

Birding matters, nothing to report today but as Paul stated earlier you sometimes end up with 100 of pics to go through/delete hence my tardiness in putting these up.

Attachments

• IMG_5809_filtered.jpg
    IMG_5809_filtered.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5816b_filtered.jpg
    IMG_5816b_filtered.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6208_filtered.jpg
    IMG_6208_filtered.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6466_filtered.jpg
    IMG_6466_filtered.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6597_filtered.jpg
    IMG_6597_filtered.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 76
Thanks again for very informative replies.

Echo Keith, a very impressive digiscoped album Lawts. Particularly like the first SEO pic, very sharp.

Tried to sent you a PM Lawts but you're inbox is full.

Fantastic pics!!

Well done Jim and Steve!! Redhouse quieter today but managed some nice siskin shots.Have put bucket load niger down..hopefully will get redpolls down. Watch this space..sadly for me, I think Lawts is first in tomorrow!Lets hope he confirms Mealy.. but ??hoping for an Arctic.

Attachments

• siskin2.jpg
    siskin2.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 77
  • siskin3.jpg
    siskin3.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 89
  • PINKFEET.jpg
    PINKFEET.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I need to send a fieldworker into NE Yorks to do some atlasing and I'm wondering what the state of the roads are like now. The areas we need to get into are:

NZ60 Castleton, Danby, Ainthorpe and minor roads around there
NZ70 New Way, Fryup and minor roads
NZ80 Aislaby area

If you can provide any updates on the roads that would be really useful. If you know of any roads closed that would also help.

Many thanks
Dawn Balmer
Atlas Coordinator

Dawn,according to the local radio the roads anywhere in that area are not good and there is chance of more tonight.There is that much snow already laid that Atlas work would be a waste of time and may be dangerous for a lone field worker.

Love the Pink-footed Geese Doc. They wouldn't have looked out of place on Hilda Ogden's muriel. Wish I had known you were out and about otherwise I'd have trained it over. Kirk Hammerton station is just up the the road isn't it?

Last edited:
Love the Pink-footed Geese Doc. They wouldn't have looked out of place on Hilda Ogden's muriel. Wish I had known you were out and about otherwise I'd have trained it over. Kirk Hammerton station is just up the the road isn't it?

still fair walk from there;will let u know when next going,poppleton station probably easiest place to collect you!

Sorry about this but with all the recent references to "the Ashes" viewing, I couldn't resist these two images as I looked for "avian porcines".....Hope it's not too much out of place.......promise it won't happen again .......! :t:

Attachments

• _50324227_ponting_pa[1].jpg
    _50324227_ponting_pa[1].jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 47
  • wbPONTheaven-600x400[1].jpg
    wbPONTheaven-600x400[1].jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 56
Joespy - aaawww don't you feel sorry for the poor man . . . NOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!! Ha ha ha excellent post! Let us enjoy it while it lasts - believe me, they'd be shoving it up our noses if it was the other way round!

Hi Doc Reed

I was wondering where the site is that you are seeing all these redpolls? If its not a private site, and im not treading on anyones toes, wouldn't mind having a look through at some stage, havent seen many on york campus this year yet.
cheers
ollie

Hi Doc Reed

I was wondering where the site is that you are seeing all these redpolls? If its not a private site, and im not treading on anyones toes, wouldn't mind having a look through at some stage, havent seen many on york campus this year yet.
cheers
ollie

Hi Ollie
no problems with toes....just that they r bloody cold in this weather.Ok, Redhouse is off A59 york to Harrogate Rd.At crossroads take rt turn signed Moormonkton.!50 yds on take rt(Redhouse Lane, I think).This track is sheet ice at moment so take care.Follow track to end.U will see Redhouse estate(used to be private school) ahead of u, now stables/caravan place.Immediately prior to entrance there is track to left.Take it and go through gated cattle grid(can open gate, just close it behind u, never gets locked to my knowledge).I park in laybye 100 yds up on left;u will see my car tracks!Walk further 100yds and on left u will see wooden gate into redhouse plantation.The track goes straight ahead..follow through avenue silver birches ,then on rt look for rusty coloured pheasant feeder.Have spread Niger all around here tuesday.Hopefully birds will be down.Lawts might update us if been today.Flocks generally all around ,u will here them and so far been high up in birch.Warning;sat//sun there is a shoot here.If u stick to path ,no problem.Not a nature reserve and my local patch so don't want any adverse reports!
The food has been put down so u can get the light from late morning onwards and view from track.
The more people view the better the chance of getting decent birds confirmed.Let us know how u get on!
I'm hoping to visit tomorrow for an hour or so,work depending!
Cheers
Paul

ps have posted couple of interesting birds on id section

Last edited:
cheers doc reed, might try this afternoon. i saw the pics, some of them look really interesting, but wouldn't want to have to call it on the pics i'm afraid. fingers crossed tho eh

Missus rang me this am to tell me there we're 60 Waxwings in the car park to the training centre she was attending in Maitland Place, Beeston, Leeds. Couldn't wait to get out at dinner time to have a look. Very flighty but concentrating on one rowan tree along with a horde of Mistle thrushes. Suprisingly a Woodcock flew through the middle of the estate whilst i was watching.

mark.

Last edited:
surely a mealy?

The large flock redpolls absent today.Just smaller numbers about.This one surely can be ascertained to mealy.Pale streaked rump visible.

Attachments

• redpoll16.jpg
    redpoll16.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 154
Nice one..thought it was....now for an Arctic!

As Ingsbirder says Paul that is 100% Mealy. I got one yesterday morning - got the streaked white rump.

Is access okay - I felt a bit uneasy. It looked like a gen. footpath through the wood, but I wasn't sure if I was okay with the car down the private road - especially when I got back and the gate had been closed - open when I went through.

Also, a mean looking dog in the wood and the sign about security patrolling! just wondered if you'd ever had any issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back