• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which are the best reserves when rarities occur? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

In my experience, all go out of their way so that birders/twitchers get to see great birds on their reserves.

In light of the excellent recent Cretzschmar's Bunting twitch at Bardsey Island where staff organised superbly and went out of their way to make it a great twitch, what other reserves should get particular praise in your opinion?

I am sure there are lots, but 4 I can think of other than Bardsey Obs are :-

Rainham Marshes who opened at very early hours to allow Baillon's Crake and Penduline Tits twitches, for me.

Also Old Moor RSPB staff in West Yorkshire who I recall excellently arranging one or two twitches at least including a Savi's Warbler there.

I must mention Slimbridge WWT staff. Although its an expensive day out to access (though debateably worth it) staff there have gone to great lengths at times for out of bounds twitches such as Aquatic Warbler & Buff-breasted Sandpipers.

Spurn Head/Point Obs staff are always great too.

There must be loads though......................which ones do you particularly want to praise?

Last edited:
A more pertinent question could be which reserves are NOT helpful when rarities turn up. Are there any?

Reserves with no access outside listed opening hours could cause problems I suppose but beyond that I don't recall ever having a big problem (except one that I won't bring up again).

Steve

I think the furthest I've ever seen a warden go to help twitchers was at Dungeness RSPB for the Audouin's Gull. I arrived after a tense drive and managed to get parked quite near the visitor centre. I was waved straight through without formalities to where the warden was directing people up onto the bund that is designed to conceal people from the birds - as clearly the hides wouldn't cope without queuing and everyone was desperate to see the bird.

It was a heroic gesture and as the bird shot off to the beach only a minute or so after I got on it I was very grateful. Obviously with the bird gone, it was back to normal service straight away.

"Unhelpful" reserves are few and far between these days. Its probably worth bearing in mind that any that do stick to opening hours may be influenced by the terms of their public liability insurance, or the number of volunteers/paid staff available and their subsequent commitments at home etc.

I admit I would be interested to know why Brandon Marsh decided not to stay open past 1630 when they had the summer plumage Grey Phalarope (not that I was affected: in fact they waved me past the till as I arrived in a state of panic) as I'm sure quite a few people would have travelled for that. Mind you, they would have dipped as it wasn't seen past 1630 anyway.

John

I admit I would be interested to know why Brandon Marsh decided not to stay open past 1630 when they had the summer plumage Grey Phalarope (not that I was affected: in fact they waved me past the till as I arrived in a state of panic) as I'm sure quite a few people would have travelled for that. Mind you, they would have dipped as it wasn't seen past 1630 anyway.

John

Yeah I was a tad disappointed at that John, a bird I would love to have seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back