• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maine, near Acadia National Park, September 13th-21st (1 Viewer)

cnybirder

Here are few highlights that I had on a vacation to Maine.

We stayed at a house near Ellsworth, in Hancock County.
It was about a half hour from Mount Desert Island and a half hour from Schoodic Point.

The place we stayed at had a great view of the inlet, where the tide would drastically change a couple times a day - so there was often only mud and rocks there in the inlet.

13th:
On the way there we stopped in near Bangor at the Orono Bog, where we were hoping to see some boreal species.
It was very quiet and yielded only common species such as BROWN CREEPER, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, CEDAR WAXWINGS and a few other common species. There was a woodpecker making a callnote but we never did get a look at it and it was distinct enough to tell the species (at least not for me). Other species we found near Bangor were COMMON RAVEN and BALD EAGLE.

We next traveled down to where we were staying. This took about 2 hours or so. After we got unpacked we looked around and were able to find the following species in the inlet:
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Semipalmated Plover (the whole time we stayed there we saw many of these)
Greater Yellowlegs
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Bonaparte's Gull
and a few of the very common species.

When it was nearing sundown we drove around for a few minutes looking to find some moose. We failed on that but found a juvenile LITTLE BLUE HERON in a field where there was a small stream. This was quite unexpected and we got great looks at all the field marks (bi-colored blue bill, white plumage, black tips). Would have reported it but didn't have any internet for the first few days and I didn't have a number to call for the RBA either.

It was raining on the 14th so we didn't get to see much
but there was a GREAT EGRET on the shore of Mount Desert Island.

On the 15th I had two WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS along with the regular species.

We went to Schoodic Point for the first time and it was beautiful.
Many COMMON EIDER, several NORTHERN GANNET, and the three gull species, cormorants. I was hoping there would be at least one Great Cormorant but despite looking carefully at each one we struck out on that.

On the 16th we had the several species of warblers and several other birds we hadn't seen yet for our Maine lists at the house:
AMERICAN KESTREL
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD
BLUE-HEADED VIREO
TENNESSEE WARBLER
MAGNOLIA WARBLER
PALM WARBLER
BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER
AMERICAN REDSTART
as well as the species we had been seeing every day.

After which we went to Cadillac Mountain where we had a MERLIN and a TURKEY VULTURE but not much else. It was quite cold and windy up there.

On the 17th we didn't get much different but we did have an OSPREY.

On the 18th I added a RED-EYED VIREO to my list at the house.
After which we went to the Ship's Harbor Trail on Mount Desert Island where we added these:
AMERICAN BLACK DUCK
BLACK GUILLEMOT
GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET
HERMIT THRUSH
BLACKPOLL WARBLER
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW
DARK-EYED JUNCO

Then we went to the Seawall Picnic Area nearby:
where we added these:
RED-NECKED GREBE
LAUGHING GULL
(if you want gulls, loons, grebes and seaducks this is the place to go, especially a bit later in the year).

On the 20th we added these to our list at the house:
MALLARD (surprisingly we didn't see these at any otehr time while we were there)
WILSON'S SNIPE
WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH
GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH

and we added these at Schoodic Point:
NORTHERN HARRIER

Here are the species that were quite numerous where we were staying:
Common Loon
Canada Goose
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle
Semipalmated Plover
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Mourning Dove
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Blue Jay
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Black-capped Chickadee
American Robin
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow

The following were also common:
Wild Turkey
Starling
House Sparrows
Rock Pigeon

Overall we had a great time and saw about 70 species, most of which are fairly common where I live as well, not extreme but we weren't birding all the time.

I got only a couple lifers: Red-necked Grebe, Black Guillemot, and Northern Gannet.

The thing I was most disappointed in was the fact that we saw no boreal species - I guess I will have to go to the Adirondacks next year to get them.

The places I liked the best for birding were:
Ship's Harbor Trail (I think this one would have been really good in the morning)
Seawall Picnic Area
Schoodic Point

If anyone has any questions about birding that area either PM me or reply to this thread and I will do my best to help.

The thing I was most disappointed in was the fact that we saw no boreal species - I guess I will have to go to the Adirondacks next year to get them.

Hi,

As you may know, boreal species are probably more reliable if you go inland and at higher elevations. Birders in Massachusetts seem to go two principal areas for boreal species. The most popular place seems to be the Rangeley Lakes region (http://www.rangeleymaine.com/regionmap.shtml), which is in the northwestern corner of Maine near the New Hampshire border. Closer to Massachusetts are New Hampshire's White Mountains. I have seen Gray Jay and Boreal Chickadee there, for example. Spruce Grouse and Black-backed Woodpecker are also possible.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back