• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision Zeiss SF side by side (1 Viewer)

Hello guys,new to forum, just thought i would post my views on my zeiss 8x42 sf,might be of interest to someone.1. sharpness,beats my reference standards nikon se 8x32 and my leica 8x32bn,beats them easily i may add,2.fov just a fraction less than my nikon 8x30 e11,hard to spot the difference. sweet spot 80% to the edge from centre, very gradual fall off to edge.3 .colour bias very slightly warm,to my eyes anyway. 4. contrast, excellent.beat the swarovski 8x32 sv i tried it against,also beat it for sharpness and resolution.Didnt try it against the 42.The thing that will absolutely astound you is the pronounced 3d effect,the most i have ever seen in a binocular,bags more than my zeiss nobilem 10x50 porro.Makes everything else seem flat in comparison and leaves a very vivid impression ,you just want to keep picking them up and use them on anything. Like some other users have reported the focuser has a slight dry rubbing sound on use,i suspect a teflon washer or similar used instead of lube.Anyway all in all its a fabulous optical instument any one who gets one will love it.In my 50 odd years using optics from a Roland cristens apo 6 inch refractor to battleship 10x80 binoculars its the one that i know i will NEVER part with.

Hi chaps,must add, after tests with the sf tripod mounted, in good conditions i would amend the sweet spot statement to being closer to 90% from the centre, should have done the tripod bit to start with.

The thing that will absolutely astound you is the pronounced 3d effect,the most i have ever seen in a binocular,bags more than my zeiss nobilem 10x50 porro.Makes everything else seem flat in comparison and leaves a very vivid impression ,you just want to keep picking them up and use them on anything.

HI g j Bee

At the moment you are the only user who report the strong 3D effect on SF as i noticed on my SV vs SF Review

Is very impressive ins´t it ? but you have to hold another bin side by side to notice it

Yes, very impressive.I have always thought that the 3d view was the effect of the objective spacing but the comparison with my nobilem 10x50 porro seems to negate that. The sf objectives at my ipd setting are 120 mm from outside tube to outside tube and the nobilem is 198mm.So i assume its a product of the optical design ,intentional or otherwise,either way its very pronounced.I hesitate to speculate any further ,perhaps the optical design experts on the forum can enlighten us.As far as i am concerned its just the icing on the cake ,so to speak ,of a wonderful viewing experience.

Gijs,

Thanks very much for posting the cutaways!

The SV cutaway was just as interesting to me as the SF. For the first time we can clearly see the shapes of the SV field flattener lenses and establish for certain that they form an air spaced doublet. While your Swiss Army knife is still sharp maybe you could carve up an old EL so we can see if its objective uses the the same Steinheil doublet design as the SF.

I also notice that the SF eyepiece design in this real binocular is not quite identical to the schematic representation of the eyepiece design you provided last fall. Were changes made or could one of these cutaways show the 10x eyepiece and the other the 8x?

Henry

Gijs,

Thanks very much for posting the cutaways!

The SV cutaway was just as interesting to me as the SF. For the first time we can clearly see the shapes of the SV field flattener lenses and establish for certain that they form an air spaced doublet. While your Swiss Army knife is still sharp maybe you could carve up an old EL so we can see if its objective uses the the same Steinheil doublet design as the SF.

I also notice that the SF eyepiece design in this real binocular is not quite identical to the schematic representation of the eyepiece design you provided last fall. Were changes made or could one of these cutaways show the 10x eyepiece and the other the 8x?

Henry

Henry,

There is no excisting cut a way from the old EL than the one I pictured.
One photo is from the pre production series and the other one is the current SV. There is a big difference in objective built up.

Jan

Attachments

• Durchschnitt-3.JPG
    Durchschnitt-3.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 396
  • Durchschnitt-1.JPG
    Durchschnitt-1.JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 351
  • Durchschnitt-2.JPG
    Durchschnitt-2.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 1,920
Jan,

Let me see if I understand what I'm looking at. In the left image is the top binocular an old EL, the bottom an EL-SV and the middle a prototype? Is the prototype for the old EL or the EL-SV?

Thanks,

Henry

Jan,

Let me see if I understand what I'm looking at. In the left image is the top binocular an old EL, the bottom an EL-SV and the middle a prototype? Is the prototype for the old EL or the EL-SV?

Thanks,

Henry

Henry,

The model in the middle is the one which were used at the shows as demo and is the pre production models of the current EL SV serie. I just noticed the difference in optical built up when I took the photo's. Production date of this model is week 21 in 2008.
All models (also SF) are 10x42.

The middle model was curved by Gijs with his Victorinox knife. As I have understood is costed him about 20 hours, 4 blisters and his marriage. But all for the good case;)

Jan

Last edited:
Thanks Jan. The middle one looks like it was sliced and diced with pinking shears. Sure doesn't resemble the final product very much does it?

Henry

Thanks Jan. The middle one looks like it was sliced and diced with pinking shears. Sure doesn't resemble the final product very much does it?

Henry

Don't know what a pinking shear is, but I always blame the endresult to Gijs;)

It is done with a high pressure water cutting technique, but we didn't dare to cut it further as the smaller lenses were literally blown out of their housings.
But the important outcome is, that Swarovski changed the concept for the definitive version.

Jan

So there are basically two differents areas of critic with the Swaro focusser.
1. The design with the spring-loaded knob,
2. The tolerances in manufacturing and QC.
Two very different issues, IMO. Maybe they should be seen separate?

Oetzi, post 52,
I have kept myself out of the discussion about the critisism about the Swaro focusser, since it was for me never a problem at about 40 or 50 Swaro binoculars which I have used and or tested/investigated. Nor did I ever have a problem with tolerance/QC problems and, from what I have heard and read on different fora including BF and from talking to a lot of users when I worked as volunteer binocular salesman: if there were any problems Swarovski solved them very fast and very good. Not every binocular producer does have such a track record
Gijs

Oetzi, post 52,
I have kept myself out of the discussion about the critisism about the Swaro focusser, since it was for me never a problem at about 40 or 50 Swaro binoculars which I have used and or tested/investigated. Nor did I ever have a problem with tolerance/QC problems and, from what I have heard and read on different fora including BF and from talking to a lot of users when I worked as volunteer binocular salesman: if there were any problems Swarovski solved them very fast and very good. Not every binocular producer does have such a track record
Gijs
I believe all new bins will have Swaroturn, a new and exciting focusing solution. Included with all bins will be a Swarobucket filled with Swarosand. See accompanying video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26rnqGvtMk

Notice: The asian solution uses rice but, after exhaustive testing, we believe the Swaroturn solution is superior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqZiVt9YBX0

Nobody likes to exercise without music. Twice a day should do it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4

B :)

Pileatus,
post 54,
In The Netherlands we discovered that small glass beads were used combined with wet clay gives excellent results. However, if you forget to take some sips of brandy at the end your vision lacks the necessary haze.
Gijs

I believe all new bins will have Swaroturn, a new and exciting focusing solution. Included with all bins will be a Swarobucket filled with Swarosand. See accompanying video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j26rnqGvtMk

B :)

I really thought your post was just a joke, but after watching the video 4-5 times I realised that the sand must be real Swarosand after all!!! :smoke:

Watch carefully and you can see that the guy in the video finds it harder to rotate his hand in one direction than the other!! :-O :-O

Lee

Lee, post 57,
When you and the other BF particpants are finished to remove the diamont dust from their focussers (the application of this dust is a perfect method to let focussers turn very smooth in all directions, even upside down) I have another puzzle to study: a picture of cutaways of two SV 42's which differ only in age: one is produced a couple of years before the other.
Gijs

Attachments

• Doorsnede Swar SV nr 1 boven en Swar SV 2 onder doc size.jpg
    Doorsnede Swar SV nr 1 boven en Swar SV 2 onder doc size.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,891
I really thought your post was just a joke, but after watching the video 4-5 times I realised that the sand must be real Swarosand after all!!! :smoke:

Watch carefully and you can see that the guy in the video finds it harder to rotate his hand in one direction than the other!! :-O :-O

Lee
By design, my friend, by design.:scribe:

Lee

Lee

The "Rice Bucket" workout for arm, wrist and hand strength was popularized many years ago by the great Philadelphia Phillies Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher, Steve Carlton. It is almost a standard routine now for pitchers. Nolan Ryan used it and so did Roger Clemens.

It wouldn't surprise me if some Cricket Pitchers worked out with the rice bucket too.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back