• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus on Conquest HD 8x32? (1 Viewer)

Six Point Five

Is the focuser on the Conquest HD 8x32 stiff, gritty, sticky? Or is it smooth, responsive, fluid? Does it have slack, or tight spots? How does it compare in feel with, say, the FL, or older EL series?

Is the focus ratio too fast? Is it too fast to control and achieve fine focus easily? Do users over-shoot or over-focus? How does it compare to others?

I have read reports about fine focus feel, but rather fast.

Thank you.

I find it very smooth and fluid, and perfectly geared for fast focus without annoying overshoot. My 8x32 is my go-to when I know I will be birding and bugging at the same time - the focus is perfect for this application.

For the best birding focus, the speed, feel and precision of the HT is great - it hits the focus point with such precision there is zero rocking back and forth or fiddling.

Hi,
focus is faster than I like /when you use ELSV for couple of years, everything seems fast/, but fluid and precise, very good for birding. You can overshoot a little bit, if you are looking on birds which are closer than 20m from you. From 20m to "infinity" it is few derees of rotational movement, so it is hard to overshoot from20m, also what I noticed is taht this binocular does not have "focus past infinity" or how to name it. Conquest HD x32 is best for trips on bike, and trips where you need to save space, for x32 provides good image of night sky and twilight performance.

Last edited:
I've tried several models. Most have fluid focusing. However, i tried one with stiff focusing, one with a little play in the focusing and one with gritty focusing. Try before you buy!

With your help, and my own research and testing, I've found the answer to my questions.
Thank you.
First, i found out that the Conquest has 1 1/4 turn on the focuser and that the feel is usually smooth, but that i should buy from a place that would provide an exchange, just in case. Second, i took out my own Victory FL 8x32 and i tested the focusing range. This has just a bit less than 1 1/4 turn and it is the smoothest, finest, most precise focuser i have ever tried. If the Conquest is similar, it's a keeper. If it is not, i will call them and ask for a replacement. I am not concerned about the focuser being too fast or overshooting anymore.
Lastly, i have decided that i will get the Conquest, rather than the Terra ED. I have not looked at either of them. I am sure the Conquest is better. The Terra ED 8x32 at less than half the price is tempting, but this needs to be as good of a glass as i can afford.

I find it very smooth and fluid, and perfectly geared for fast focus without annoying overshoot. My 8x32 is my go-to when I know I will be birding and bugging at the same time - the focus is perfect for this application.

For the best birding focus, the speed, feel and precision of the HT is great - it hits the focus point with such precision there is zero rocking back and forth or fiddling.

I was wondering how you could be birding and bugging at the same time, so I did some research, and you can if you are looking at a cinereous mourner, a bird that pretends to be a bug.

<B>

I recently bought a pair of 8x32 HDs and overall am very happy with them. I wasn't sure that I would find a replacement for my 8x32 SEs (which I foolishly sold last year), but I certainly consider these to be a worthy replacement. In regards to the focuser, it is fast and smooth, but mine does have a little bit of play when the focus is reversed. It's annoying but so far I haven't found it annoying enough to send in for repair.

..In regards to the focuser, it is fast and smooth, but mine does have a little bit of play when the focus is reversed. It's annoying but so far I haven't found it annoying enough to send in for repair.

Don't worry. That "little bit of play" even happens with a brand new Victory SF 8x42 which I tried a few days ago in a gun shop. The Victory HT didn't provide that kind of play at the focusing wheel like the SF did.

Since I got my Conquest HD 8x42 I have experienced that I now and then have the feeling of not getting the image in focus instantly, and need to refocus. Recently I noticed that it's a play in the focusing wheel.
The reason I didn't realise the reason at once is the low resistance and smooth traction of the focusing wheel. If it had been stiffer I had noticed it instantly.

Then I spoke to a dealer about it and he told that this is common with the Conquest HD series, and not a fault, but it's just how the focusing wheel works.
While I don't like this issue, I don't consider it as a serious problem. I find it a problem usually at short distance, when the need of changing focus is more frequent.

I agree, and my experience is that it becomes less annoying with time. Furthermore, the amount of play isn't excessive (at least in my sample).

I am currently in the South of France and surrounded not only by wonderful birds but many, many species of butterflies, dragonflies, beetles etc. My Conquest HD 8x32s have proven ideal for the rapidly changing focusing distances due to their quick focus.

There is a tiny amount of free play in the focus which I obsessed about when I first got the bins a year ago but actually I don't notice it at all now. It is so tiny and so well-damped by the grease that I go for days without thinking about it at all even though I am using them in the most intensive way, everyday. As general purpose nature observation bins they are proving extremely effective.

Lee

Since I got my Conquest HD 8x42 I have experienced that I now and then have the feeling of not getting the image in focus instantly, and need to refocus. Recently I noticed that it's a play in the focusing wheel.
The reason I didn't realise the reason at once is the low resistance and smooth traction of the focusing wheel. If it had been stiffer I had noticed it instantly.

Then I spoke to a dealer about it and he told that this is common with the Conquest HD series, and not a fault, but it's just how the focusing wheel works.
While I don't like this issue, I don't consider it as a serious problem. I find it a problem usually at short distance, when the need of changing focus is more frequent.

After reading your post, I think that the salesman was full of horse malarchy to say that play in a focuser wheel is "not a fault." Focusers should focus smoothly and evenly w/out backlash or "play," particularly at this price point. If "play" is common in the Conquest HD series, it's a flaw in the design.

I have the same "feeling of not getting the image in focus instantly, and need to refocus" with the Terra ED, but there's no play in the focuser wheel. It's due to the very fast focuser, which by my measurement turns less than 1/2 turn from cf to infinity. Others have measured it at 3/4 of a turn for their eyes/sample.

Particularly when light levels drop and my acuity goes down, I'm "hunting" for the fine focus. I otherwise like the Terra, but the fast focuser is not for me. I don't think I could deal with a "playful" Conquest HD focuser either, which is a shame, because I had high hopes (high apple pie in the sky-ah-eye hopes) for the Conquest HD in that it would be an affordable near alpha quality roof.

I also don't like your description of the focuser as "low resistance and smooth traction of the focusing wheel." Smooth yes, low resistance, no. I want some stickion not a loosey goosey focuser wheel. Been there, done that, won't do that again.

For close-in birding, the focuser wheel has to be very good. If not, you're fiddling with it trying to get the birds in focus or your fingers hurt from turning a stiff focus wheel all day. .

I'm willing to compromise on other aspects of binoculars, but the focuser must work well if they ever want to get money out of my wallet (and the moths that accompany it ;)).

Brock

Brock,

For birds in close the best binocular is a 7x42 with a wide FOV. Having to rely solely on your focuser in this situation is inefficient.

There was a time when there was a reasonable number of 7x42s to chose from at different price levels.

Bob

Last edited:
Brock,

For birds in close the best binocular is a 7x42 with a wide FOV. Having to rely solely on your focuser in this situation is inefficient.

There was a time when there was a reasonable number of 7x42s to chose from at different price levels.

Bob

Hey, we finally agree on something! ;)

The 7x42 and 7x35 formats are what I like best, easier to hold steady and more depth of field, but quality bins that are also affordable in these formats with a WF are non-existent. You have to go up to the alpha level to get it all in one package, and there's only two of those left - the 7x42 EDG and 7x42 Ultravid. I have to wonder how long even those will be around.

Brock

James is absolutely right to call his Conq 8x32 his go-to bins for insect and other close focus work.

In France, where the medium distance birds like Harriers, Herons, Bee-Eaters and Short-toed Eagles were showing up every few minutes in between dozens of close-by butterflies, dragonflies and other stuff, the Conquests were terrific, swapping backwards and forwards from close to middle and far distance.

I found the focus fast enough and smooth and accurate, with a nice feel or heft (this is for you Brock) to it. In fact I ended up using the Conquest almost exclusively as it offered a performance that my other bins don't.

32s make excellent all-round nature observers when you have a keen interest in butterflies and dragonflies etc. Most insects in most places, most of the time, are most active in sunny weather so you don't need a 42 and if you are carrying a DSLR and a couple of lenses, the compact size and lighter weight of a 32 is a blessing.

I can't recommend the baby Conquest highly enough for this sort of application and it has earned this in 4 weeks of intensive use in France.

Lee

James is absolutely right to call his Conq 8x32 his go-to bins for insect and other close focus work.

In France, where the medium distance birds like Harriers, Herons, Bee-Eaters and Short-toed Eagles were showing up every few minutes in between dozens of close-by butterflies, dragonflies and other stuff, the Conquests were terrific, swapping backwards and forwards from close to middle and far distance.

I found the focus fast enough and smooth and accurate, with a nice feel or heft (this is for you Brock) to it. In fact I ended up using the Conquest almost exclusively as it offered a performance that my other bins don't.

32s make excellent all-round nature observers when you have a keen interest in butterflies and dragonflies etc. Most insects in most places, most of the time, are most active in sunny weather so you don't need a 42 and if you are carrying a DSLR and a couple of lenses, the compact size and lighter weight of a 32 is a blessing.

I can't recommend the baby Conquest highly enough for this sort of application and it has earned this in 4 weeks of intensive use in France.

Lee

I'm told I sometimes bug people, but I am not a "bugger." I did see a dragonfly yesterday and took out the Terra ED to get a closer look (the bug was probably wet from the rain we had earlier and was drying its wings in the late afternoon sun on my front stoop). Not your typical dragonfly with a skinny "dining needle" body, but a rather fat white body (maybe filled with eggs?).

I also prefer full-sized roofs because they are easier for me to hold, and I find that despite the immutable law of physics that states that all 8x bins have the same depth of field, the perception of depth is usually better in full sized roofs than midsized models.

For all these reasons, it's unlikely that I would buy an 8x32 Conquest HD or Terra ED. I did like the 8x30 M7 because of its exceptional ergonomics and extra wide FOV, so if there's any midsized roof in my future, it could be an 8x or 10x30 M7, however, I'd still prefer an 8x or a 10 EII in the midsized format.

If I do buy a roof, it's likely to be a full sized roof. The only extensive woods around here are game lands, so away from the backyard and local park, I bird on game lands. The bulletproof 8x42 Conquest HD might help me dodge a bullet while it's hanging on my chest. :eek!:

Your post reminds me that Zeiss still does not have a premium 8x/10x32 at the alpha level (no HT or SF) to replace the 8x/10x32 FLs. If you are not sworn to secrecy, do you think we are likely to see midsized bins in either of these lines in the next year or two?

I would imagine they would be quite popular with birders, particularly the HT. The midsized SF roof would be rather long for its size.

Brock

Your post reminds me that Zeiss still does not have a premium 8x/10x32 at the alpha level (no HT or SF) to replace the 8x/10x32 FLs. If you are not sworn to secrecy, do you think we are likely to see midsized bins in either of these lines in the next year or two?

I would imagine they would be quite popular with birders, particularly the HT. The midsized SF roof would be rather long for its size.

Brock

HI Brock

There is nothing official from Zeiss about a top-line 32 but since the FL 32 is 10 years old and Z has said there will not be an HT 32 it looks like an SF 32 is around the corner.
I have no idea whether an SF 32 would follow the exact same optical formula as the 42 and don't forget SF is named for its focus (whether you agree with it being 'smart' or not) and not its optical system, so an SF 32 might not be just a smaller version of the 42.
All speculation, but I think a 32 must be on the cards in the next year or two.

Lee

Brock,

I agree with you: a proper working focuser is important. And at this price tag it's what one should expect.

Patric

HI Brock

There is nothing official from Zeiss about a top-line 32 but since the FL 32 is 10 years old and Z has said there will not be an HT 32 it looks like an SF 32 is around the corner.
I have no idea whether an SF 32 would follow the exact same optical formula as the 42 and don't forget SF is named for its focus (whether you agree with it being 'smart' or not) and not its optical system, so an SF 32 might not be just a smaller version of the 42.
All speculation, but I think a 32 must be on the cards in the next year or two.

Lee

Lee,

Is the reason Zeiss won't make an midsized HT due to the fact that they can't use HT glass in the SP prisms, and therefore the name wouldn't fit? If so, they probably should have thought about that before they named the HT line!

A 32 SF that follows the open bridge design and triple bridge of its larger siblings will likely be a lot longer than the 8x32 FL, more like the 8x32 SV EL and 8x32 EDG. Birders like those two bins especially the SV EL, so I supposed the size wouldn't deter too many from buying it if the optics were on par with the 42s.

I don't think downsizing the 32 should be much of a problem in terms of ergos. The tough nut to crack might be matching the WFOV of the 8x42 in the 8x32 due to its shorter focal length, which makes it subject to more aberrations.

Of course, once the 8x32 SF comes out and allbinos declares it "the best" in its class, you know what that means, don't you? ;)

<B>

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back