• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x binoculars increasing in popularity? (2 Viewers)

interesting, Leica & Zeiss both make 7x42 binoculars and no 7x32 binoculars. Somebody must be buying them. At those prices the buyers probably aren't beginners. I wonder what these buyers know that we don't? chip

I think a lot of this is historical rather than logical.

It seemed for a long time that Zeiss (and perhaps others) though the 7x crowd were old post WW2 generation folks and the wave of the future was only 8x and 10x (for birders).

So you could see the 7x42 Dialyt hanging on for the longest time getting T* then P* but that last update in 1988 seemed to be though of as the last one. Call it the " 7x42 ClassiC" and we can go on to do the new Design Selection then Conquest and Victories in 8x and 10x. It will be the future. But it was curious how these always got compared to the older bins.

It wasn't until the Zeiss FL 7x42 that the low magnification people got some love again.

At least that's how I remember it.

I think it's true for all the alpha 7x42: there is a history there of a group of people who have used 7x bins for a long time and will continue to buy them. So the companies keep making them.

I do have a Promaster 7x32 which is an interesting design in itself. With a rather long focal length objective too, like a smaller version of the Chinese ED bins we have seen. I suspect the same designer is behind it using the same larger positive focuser lens very close to the objective). And for a non-PC turn of the millenium Chinese roof the view is good. Some silly design decisions make it perform badly with stray light (note to implmentor: shiny metal or paint is not good ;) ).

It can be done but you have to go out on a limb to do it.

Or make bins for the military ... M24 7x28.

Didn't Leica/Leitz at one time make a 7x35 roof binocular?

I always thought that a good 7x35 would be a pretty interesting to many birders.

Mike

They did. In fact if you watch David Attenborough in BBC "Life of Birds" documentary series you see him with one on quite a few occasions.

Swift Eaglet 7x36 is the closest thing on the market and the one I have is growing on me. I really do like it. Of course, SteveC has been a fan of this bin longer than me. It could have a bigger FOV and ED glass to be ideal but aside from that I really like it.

Keep talking up the 7x magnification and I am going to be forced to buy another. I still have the 7x35 E which is a very fine porro in its own right but I do believe in redundancy when it comes to magnification.

;)

I'm in love with a cheap 7x35.

. . .

I have taken to monitoring the regional cloud report and comparing the clouds overhead with a Nikon Action 7x35. I must say this cheap 7x is perfect for studying clouds.

. . .

Additionally, it is great for following birds in flight. The wide 9.3° FOV, extended depth of field, and porro effect give the appearance of suspension to low flying birds. I almost feel as if I am flying along beside them. Nice.

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Bob,

I was just playing with a Nikon 7x35 Action a few hours ago. I gave my parents one as a present several years ago. They definitely are one of the better performing bins in that price range. I am still tempted to go back and pick up another 7x35 Action EX as I prefer the longer eye relief but they are about twice the cost of the regular Action.

I was just playing with a Nikon 7x35 Action a few hours ago. I gave my parents one as a present several years ago. They definitely are one of the better performing bins in that price range. I am still tempted to go back and pick up another 7x35 Action EX as I prefer the longer eye relief but they are about twice the cost of the regular Action.

If I could find a secondhand 7x35 Action EX I'd go for it. Though I'm not sure I'm willing to pay eBay prices!

They're probably laying in the back of some unsuccessful birders closet (as they were THE cheapest bin worth using according to Cornell.

It is funny you should bring up that Cornell study. There was a discrepancy there with regard to the Action EX. They referenced the Action in their report but then listed the Action EX in the summary table...or was it vice versa? I wonder which one they were referring to.

I am still going to keep an eye out for the 7x35 Action EX. I spent about an hour today going through Amazon's binocular selection....I stopped after the 100th page. I found the Action EX for $98 at one place but I think I will keep looking. I did end up picking up another Pentax 8x33 XP though at the $200 price point. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

It was the EX ... I think the mention glasses usage and it was OK with glasses IIRC (which wouldn't be the case with the non-EX Action).

That was what I assumed as well. Out of the moderately to inexpensively priced 7x bins I have tried the 7x35 Action EX is probably my favorite.....but I haven't tried the the 7x36 Eaglet yet though. ;)

Are 7x binoculars becoming more popular again? If more models, higher prices, and out of stock inventories are any indications, then the 7x may be challenging the 8x. After reading an interesting thread on “8x vs 7x for forest birding,” I decided to check 7x models at a popular online optics vendor here in the U.S.

Do you use a 7x? What do you like about this size? Are there disadvantages?

… Bob
Kentucky, USA

. . .

7X at popular online vendor (U. S.)

Roof 7x42
Would love to own one of these, but why are they so expensive? Might be nice to try the cheaper Meopta brand--if it ever gets back in stock.

Leica Ultravid HD Roof CF 7x42
8.0 FOV, 10.8 ft close focus, 27.2 oz, 17.0 mm eye relief, 6.0 mm exit pupil

Meopta Meostar Roof CF 7x42
7.8 FOV, 9.8 ft close focus, 30.4 oz, 20.0 mm eye relief, 6.0 mm exit pupil
***Out of stock***

Nikon EDG Roof CF 7x42
8.0 FOV, 9.8 ft close focus, 28.6 oz, 22.1 mm eye relief, 6.0 mm exit pupil

Swarovski SLCnew Roof CF 7x42
8.0 FOV, 13.0 ft close focus, 33.5 oz, 19.0 mm eye relief, 6.0 mm exit pupil

Zeiss Victory T* FL LT Roof CF 7x42
8.6 FOV, 6.5 ft close focus, 26.1 oz, 16.0 mm eye relief, 6.0 mm exit pupil
I have the Zeiss T* FL 7x42 roofs because they are the lightest ultra premium 7x42s with the widest AFOV/FOV and the closest focus. I use Canon IS binoculars in 8x,10x,12x and 15x.

I have the Zeiss T* FL 7x42 roofs because they are the lightest ultra premium 7x42s with the widest AFOV/FOV and the closest focus.

That was pretty much my reasoning for choosing them over the others as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back