• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Mallorca in September-Birds & Butterflies (1 Viewer)

Acanthis

Hi All,

My wife and I are taking a relaxing break in Mallorca in early september. While I intend checking out the main birding sites the main theme of the holiday is relaxation so full-on tazzing around the island every day is out.

Has anybody got any tips for some good birding around the village of Deia where we'll be staying?

Also I'd like to know which butterfly species I might encounter?

Just seen this thread Sandy. Not sure where Deai is but Cuber reservoir in the North is a really nice site and could be a good family walk if you need to keep kids happy.
Tawny Pipit, Nightingale, Spectacled Warbler, Subalpine Warbler maybe, Rock Thrush, Osprey, Black Vulture, Booted Eagle + migrants - I had 2 Melodious Warblers here.

I've been to the South and North of Mallorca in late Aug a year or two ago, these are some of the butterflies I can remember seeing:
Cleopatra
Two-tailed Pasha (wonderful!! Castel de Santauri in the South where the Alpine Swifts breed)
Silver-studded Blue
Speckled Brown (Med form)
Geranium Blue
Southern Gatekeeper (near the visitor centre at Albuferra marsh)
Bath White
Clouded Yellow
Pale Clouded Yellow
Swallowtail

Hope that helps, Andy

Plenty of sites

Mallorca is gorgeous at any time, and especially the north. Almost any walk in the hills will bring you good birds and butterflies.
I would strongly recommend renting a car for a few days - the reservoir, as the previous post said, is outstanding, but the Formentor Peninsula is worth it just for the scenery, let alone the birds. Try to get down to Alcudia Bay, too, and the Salinas - plenty of waders, and the S'Albufera reserve, where there may/may not be helpful Earthwatch project staff around. Nick Riddiford manages the project, but may not be there in person.
But just be prepared to stop and wander round the little lanes.
A good little guide is K J Stober 'Birdwatching in Mallorca' , Cicerone Press (ISBN 1 85284 053 6) And there is a very nice 'S'Albufera" A Guide for Visitors' written by local authors available at the reserve.
Best
David

Thanks Folks!

I'm definitely going to Cuber and S'albufera, the other sites I'll have to wait and see.
Andy- I've printed off your butterfly list. Pasha and Cleopatra sound pretty exotic and I'm looking forward to seeing them. ID-ing Blues and Browns has always been a challenge for me at least so looks like the digital camera's macro mode will be seeing some action. :bounce:

Thanks again for your responses.

Acanthis said:
Thanks Folks!
I'm definitely going to Cuber and S'albufera, the other sites I'll have to wait and see.
Andy- I've printed off your butterfly list. Pasha and Cleopatra sound pretty exotic and I'm looking forward to seeing them. ID-ing Blues and Browns has always been a challenge for me at least so looks like the digital camera's macro mode will be seeing some action. :bounce:

Thanks again for your responses.
Another useful book, at a reasonable price, is "A Birdwatching Guide To Majorca" by Graham Hearl and Jon King- Graham Hearl lived not far from the S'Albufera reserve for many years, until he passed away last year. This book has some detailed sketch maps of many hot-spots on Majorca, although it is stressed that access to some areas can change at any time.
I envy your choice of staying in Deya, along the "mountain range" of Majorca.

Roger

Further to my previous post, there are 2 (that I know of) Birdforum members that reside in Majorca, namely Vicky Heredo and ESTEBANNIC.
Maybe if you send them a personal message, they could give some more information?

Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back