• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightroom: Creative cloud vs Standalone (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
I have an old version of PSE on my desktop PC, but I am thinking of taking the plunge and changing to Lightroom.

Are most people subscribing to the Creative Cloud version of LR? Or, are most folks still buying (or updating) the Standalone version of LR?

I moved over to Lightroom 5.7 in January since when I have hardly (no more than once or twice) used PSE. For that reason I'm going to stick with the stand alone version. Creative Cloud is £8.50 per month and just one year's subscription will more than pay for the latest version of Lightroom. If you think that you will still need to make regular use of PSE then Creative Cloud starts to look a little more attractive but even then only if you regularly update and fork out for new software.

Regards,
Brian.

Hi.

I have used both version, and up until the last update I would not have said there was much between them, but when Adobe released its last update to lightroom CC you got a few extra fetcher i.e.. haze remove or add that the stand alone does not have, so I would go for the subscription model, plus you will also get any new version when they come out.

I'm also using the Photographers Program subscription model. The cost is relatively low - especially compared to periodic upgrades. The updates so far have been well worth the investment - particularly LR6/LRCC. LR does a very good job of continuous updates to the program. The editing functions are getting better, and new features such as support for HDR and Panoramas have been positives.

I personally am one of those who refuse to pay a monthly subscription. People keep saying it's a bargain but it's not quite a simple as that.

As I understand it (and subscription users can tell me if I'm wrong), the basic monthly cost in the UK is around £17 a month? But this is only for one of the software packages - in your case Lightroom. It's then £45 for all the packages including Photoshop. For the cost of the cheapest option, you could have paid for Lightroom in around 8 months. Again, apologies if I have this wrong.

The problem I have is that I have enough monthly bills coming in without adding yet another. I go through periods where sometimes I'm doing well financially, in which case I will make a purchase such as a new lens, camera or software pack which I then expect to last years and other times I'm not doing so well when I then often have to make cut backs, such as monthly costs which I can do without. Recently I've had to do the latter in which case, had I had a subscription, I would have had to got rid of it. Fortunately I have brought Lightroom (an earlier version) and a much earlier version of Photoshop of which, since moving over to a Mac computer I've needed to replace. Luckily Affinity Photo has just been released which I got for £30 and is a genuine replacement.

I've noticed you mention PSE which I wouldn't have thought a natural comparison to Lightroom. Have you thought of getting the latest version of Paintshop Pro? or even Adobe Photoshop Elements 13? Both should be under £100.

Hi.

I have used both version, and up until the last update I would not have said there was much between them, but when Adobe released its last update to lightroom CC you got a few extra fetcher i.e.. haze remove or add that the stand alone does not have, so I would go for the subscription model, plus you will also get any new version when they come out.

There are some workarounds that allow the Dehaze feature to be used in the standalone version. e.g. https://cutthruthefog.wordpress.com/lightroom-6-dehaze/ or http://prolost.com/blog/dehaze

The Adobe Photography Plan which includes Lightroom and Photoshop CC costs £6.98, which makes the breakeven cost for LR only in the 20-22 month range. At that price, you cover the likely life of both LR and Photoshop since there will be a likely upgrade within that time. The subscription plan covers updates for any new camera, as well as new program updates and enhancements.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud/photography.html

Lightroom is an outstanding program and continues to improve. Sure there are lots of choices and alternatives at lower costs, but LR is by far the leader in market share. That means if you need help, want free or paid training, or want to work with common plugins, LR is likely to provide much more support.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back