Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 10:22   #1
davholla

Best clothing to not be seen by birds

One proviso it cannot be camouflage clothing as I am going to Colombia and you cannot wear it there - sadly the civil war (now almost over) makes this a bad idea.
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 21:08   #2
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by davholla View Post
One proviso it cannot be camouflage clothing as I am going to Colombia and you cannot wear it there - sadly the civil war (now almost over) makes this a bad idea.
If you go to the clothing store Columbia they have light weight, neutral coloured clothing (grey/green) which is good.
Neil.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 07:24   #3
Torchepot

If you should be unfortunate enough to encounter paramilitary people who would react to someone wearing camouflage clothing I expect they would treat someone dressed from head to foot in olive green similarly. If there's even the slightest chance of an encounter I would be extremely cautious. Neil's suggestion of grey is a good idea - browns too.

Meeting a bunch of heavily armed "desperadoes" on a remote jungle path while dressed like Rambo could really spoil your day!

Last edited by Torchepot : Thursday 3rd August 2017 at 07:47.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 07:46   #4
Robert_Scanlon

Plenty of Colombian birders wear camo gear, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know where you are planning to go but if you are sticking to one of the well worn endemics tours then the chances of running into an armed group (other than the army) are pretty remote. I've been going to Colombia most years for 20 years almost and have only ever seen a paramilitary group once in an area where they were known to be, and never the guerillas.
Old Thursday 3rd August 2017, 11:34   #5
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Scanlon View Post
Plenty of Colombian birders wear camo gear, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know where you are planning to go but if you are sticking to one of the well worn endemics tours then the chances of running into an armed group (other than the army) are pretty remote. I've been going to Colombia most years for 20 years almost and have only ever seen a paramilitary group once in an area where they were known to be, and never the guerillas.
I agree with this - I've been just three times but have had no problems with all green clothing in forests, on the main birding circuits.

cheers, alan
Old Sunday 6th August 2017, 11:14   #6
davholla

Quote:
That is interesting the Colombian birdwatching guide says don't, perhaps they are being overly cautious. I am going to Mocoa, Purace and near Cali. The first two are places with problems.
Out of interest why do you go to Colombia so much, I go because my wife is from there. I am not sure if I would go if I weren't married to her, it can be a very frustrating place.

Last edited by davholla : Sunday 6th August 2017 at 11:16.
Old Monday 7th August 2017, 08:33   #7
Robert_Scanlon

I would take the advice of your guide to be on the safe side then if you are away from the beaten track.

My wife is also from Colombia but I often go there without her. Initially there was the attraction of it being off the radar for lots of people, now I just like going there and find the people in general pretty friendly and the birding great. Also there's the scenery, the nice food (not to everyones taste I know!), the cheap travel. It always feels like a bit of an adventure in the way most other places I've been to don't.
Old Monday 7th August 2017, 08:43   #8
davholla

Quote:
I would take the advice of your guide to be on the safe side then if you are away from the beaten track.

My wife is also from Colombia but I often go there without her. Initially there was the attraction of it being off the radar for lots of people, now I just like going there and find the people in general pretty friendly and the birding great. Also there's the scenery, the nice food (not to everyones taste I know!), the cheap travel. It always feels like a bit of an adventure in the way most other places I've been to don't.
Sorry I should have been clearer it is the Colombian birdwatching guide book that says that (a great book BTW).
Where is the best places that you have been? For me Minca + El Dorado, Casanare (Hato La Aurora). The most disappointing Leticia (the tour was rubbish) and Gorgona - the health and safety was too strict.
Old Tuesday 8th August 2017, 21:21   #9
Robert_Scanlon

I would probably avoid camo gear if its an area which has recently had problems. On a general note I never wear it myself...birds can see you whatever you are wearing if you are moving.

I have been to some great spots in Colombia, especially some of the pro-aves reserves in the andes, but I still feel I have barely scratched the surface.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: