• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Synonyms in categories: policy? (1 Viewer)

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis is in the category of its synonym Category:Sterna, as well as Category:Thalasseus. Ditto all the other recent splits from Sterna.

Mediterranean Gull Ichthyaetus melanocephalus is only in Category:Ichthyaetus, and not in the category of its synonym Category:Larus. Ditto not all the other recent splits from Larus.

What's the Opus policy on this, please? Seems to me a clear policy as to whether to include categories for synonyms or not is needed. I can see advantages for both inclusion and exclusion.

Well, there is no policy yet, but I would strongly suggest that we keep it simple: a species is in their own genus category and not in another synonym category.
The alternative scientific name should be a redirect and the genus page should reflect the recent shuffling around (like here: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Sterna).

André

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back