• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a tripod - 7DII + 100-400mm (1 Viewer)

Eiwar

Mr. Technology
Hello,

I'm looking for a tripod to support my new photo gear (Canon 7DII + 100-400mm). I've browsed the internet quite a lot recently, but finding information is difficult. Sure, everyone recommend Gitzo, but I don't really see myself spending 1000€ on a tripod. Not yet at least.
I would rather aim for 400-500€.

The other thing is, to get low to the ground, I would like to have it without a center column... which restricts the possibilities, and raises the height issue. I'm 178cm tall, what do you think should be the height of the tripod, considering that I want to put a gimbal head on it?

Last, I would rather have lever-locks than twist-locks, for the legs.

Does someone have experience with this kind of setup, from brands like Benro, Feisol, Manfrotto...? What about other brands?
I went to a local shop today, they told me that for many brands, you could actually remove a chunk of the center column, while some (Benro, I think) offer a shorter column (10-15cm) as an accessory. What do you think?

Thank you :)

"Sure, everyone recommend Gitzo, but I don't really see myself spending 1000€ on a tripod. Not yet at least." There might be a reason that people recommend Gitzo? I use Gitzo tripods for one simple reason - they are the cheapest brand that gives me the stability/robustness that I want.

It is a pity that you didn't ask this question earlier as Gitzo had a 50% off sale! The GT 3532LS (more than you need but when you ever get that 500 F4;)) was 383 Euros - I picked up a 4 series systematic for about 436 Euros.

Looking at your original post I agree that, ideally, center columns are best avoided but it is not always an option. As to leg locks? I would not even consider the flip type leg locks - they are just too flimsy. My tripods get a fair bit of abuse being used as walking poles etc - and I need something I can rely on. For example I used to have a Manfrotto 055 X B Pro - when set up I could push it down with one hand. I also used to have an old Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (very old twist locks) which I couldn't push down full stop - my 100+ kilo weight was simply not enough. Note the newer Gitzo leg locks are better.

I would suggest that you get a Gitzo - they do not, necessarily cost a fortune. The G1329 that I mentioned cost less than 120 Euros! Keep an eye on sites such as FleaBay and any camera shops in your area. Even new they are not always too expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Gitzo...577792?hash=item3ace7fb000:g:CCgAAOSwCGVX9mh1

Just some food for thought? Check that the GT2542S is tall enough for you before you buy.

For daylight photography I wouldn't even consider using a tripod with that set up as it's so lightweight. Low to the ground a bean bag should suffice if you need to rest the outfit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back