• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quiet day in Rochdale. (1 Viewer)

The showers and fresh winds seem to be keeping it quiet birdwise.

We have a huge Jackdaw colony down in the valley by the Bird Sanctuary from here (I live on a cul-de-sac). Many of them overfly my house. Not as many today though. The flock of House Sparrows at in the bushes at the back of the rear garden are still as lively as ever (they've become permanent residents over the years it seems!).

The usual Starlings, Collared Doves, House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Magpies and Jackdaws(!) are not as active, but still about.

There are a very few Great and Blue Tits but sadly I've not seen any Finches for weeks!

Things were pretty damp and quiet over my way too. A shame when the weather is so miserable on a weekend. I managed to get soaked twice and never walked more than a mile.

Most satisfying part was chatting with some fishermen on South Gare breakwater at Redcar and identifying the Guillemots and Ediers for them.

Waterways are probably the best places to go on wet days. The reservoirs near here have acquired a regular flock of Canada Geese and even one or two Oyster Catchers! These reservoirs are located in Moorland area so I don't know whether it's unusual to see Oyster Catchers in such areas.

Incidently, the House Sparrows are now all over the garden getting at the seeds of the WheatGrass. It's reletively sheltered from the wind and they seem to be favouring it over the feeders in the next garden.

Funnily enough I took in Lockwood Beck and Scaling Dam as well, which are where I got soaked. Plenty of Greylag Geese about and a few Mallard but not much else.

uccello verde said:
The showers and fresh winds seem to be keeping it quiet birdwise.

We have a huge Jackdaw colony down in the valley by the Bird Sanctuary from here (I live on a cul-de-sac). Many of them overfly my house. Not as many today though. The flock of House Sparrows at in the bushes at the back of the rear garden are still as lively as ever (they've become permanent residents over the years it seems!).

The usual Starlings, Collared Doves, House Sparrows, Blackbirds, Magpies and Jackdaws(!) are not as active, but still about.

There are a very few Great and Blue Tits but sadly I've not seen any Finches for weeks!

Whereabouts in Rochdale are you, here in Milnrow we have lots of the same birds as you added to the robins and wrens but very little else.

I'm almost on the Moors here. Norden area. We do have the odd Robin and Wren popping by on rare occasions...I miss the Finches though particularly. I think they've been ousted by the aggressive House Sparrow population.

The Magpies are certainly plentiful around here (one particularly big specimen has raided the neighbour's seed feeders recently! and visits our garden on occasion).

Could I interupt and hand my vote for the Rochdale appreciation society?

Regards the Magpies Nick, we too have a few knocking around the garden which I absolutely love. They have done what Magpies do this year and raided a few nests but I would miss them if they were to dissapear.

Sleeper said:
Could I interupt and hand my vote for the Rochdale appreciation society?

Regards the Magpies Nick, we too have a few knocking around the garden which I absolutely love. They have done what Magpies do this year and raided a few nests but I would miss them if they were to dissapear.

Magnificent birds a true survivor and a joy to view in the scope. That's one from Milnrow, one from Norden so whereabouts in Rochdale are you?

Hi Bill

I live on the outskirts towards Whitworth, close to the Healey Dell reserve. Although I am an English man in New York ,so to speak as I am originally from Stacksteads. Is this is small world hey apart from when you try and track a few rarities?

Our Magpies certainly don't miss an opportunity for food! Successful generalists in these parts (notably went I put out ground food such as cheese and seeds). Went out earlier for a walk today and there are quite a number of House Martins about recently in the fields. The rain must be keeping a healthy flies and insect population for them.

Our healthy flock of sparrows in the back seem to love our slightly overgrown garden (not overgrown in a bad way of course).

Nice to see Rochdale represented here!

Sleeper said:
Hi Bill

I live on the outskirts towards Whitworth, close to the Healey Dell reserve. Although I am an English man in New York ,so to speak as I am originally from Stacksteads. Is this is small world hey apart from when you try and track a few rarities?

I'm a milnrow person having lived here most of the last 55 years, but I was originally from Whitworth, We lived at Wallbank when there were no council houses just a farm.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back