• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery birds of Tanzania, 14 - 28 Oct, 2012 (1 Viewer)

Marc Suller

Would be very grateful for help in identifying these birds.

Photo 1: Taken at Selous. My feeling is a compact weaver but according to my field guide (Stevenson and Fanshaw ; Birds of East Africa) are not present here.

Photo 2 : Selous. Perhaps a winding cisticola. Had a curious behavior of walking around and jumping straight up into the air.

Photo 3 : Tarangire car park. The main bird in question is the mating pair (and single one back right). They seem to be Somali Sparrows but again are out of range according to the book. The larger sparrow is either a grey headed or Swahili sparrow, and the other smaller species Chestnut Sparrow.

Photo 4 : Not sure what the bird to the right of the (suspected) Somali sparrows is. I was wondering whether it might be female red headed weaver but not sure about the bill colour.

Photo 5 : Taken at Serengeti but haven't a clue

Thanks, Marc

Attachments

• IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1428.JPG
    IMG_1428.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi Marc,

First is a juvenile weaver, always tough to ID alone, but definitely not compact. May be Village.

Second is Rattling Cisticola IMO.

Third photo: Swahili and Chestnut (moulting male + female type) Sparrows.

Fourth photo: same with female/iimmature Ploceus weaver (therefore not Red-headed).

Fifth photo: another female type Ploceus weaver.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. It was too small for a village weaver, so I think it is an imm lesser masked weaver. They were in the camp and it has a dark eye.

These female and immature weavers are difficult (for me), so I suppose the last two will remain unidentified.

Sparrow - Weaver

Hi Marc,

First is a juvenile weaver, always tough to ID alone, but definitely not compact. May be Village.

Second is Rattling Cisticola IMO.

Third photo: Swahili and Chestnut (moulting male + female type) Sparrows.

Fourth photo: same with female/iimmature Ploceus weaver (therefore not Red-headed).

Fifth photo: another female type Ploceus weaver.

Cheers

I visited the same bird bath in September and Oct this year. I revisited my shots and found the birds above. Birds of East Africa has a Somali Sparrow but distribution is north Kenya. Birds in shot 1 size and id seems to fit image 1. After reviewing shot 2 I changed my ID from Grey-headed to Swaahili, Thanks for help.

Attachments

• _MG_9581.jpg
    _MG_9581.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 46
  • _MG_9578.jpg
    _MG_9578.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 41
Stephen,

Swahili Sparrow isthe one occuring at Tarangire, I know very well the place where you took them. Both are very similiar; except for the range, note the less contrasted chin (pale with dark edge in Northern Grey-headed) and greyer mantler.

Therefore, on pic one you have Chestnut Sparrows, and on pic 2 Swahili Sparrows and one Chestnut Sparrow,female.

Agree with Valéry. The first weaver is probably a juv Village and there is also a red-billed quelea in the 3rd pic (in flight).

Edit: and the weaver in pic 3/4 is probably Vitelline (or alternatively Lesser masked).

Last edited:
I can Id the bird bath! One of my few semi-successful attempts at semi-artistic photography. - Toby

Attachments

• DSC02857.JPG
    DSC02857.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 44
Would be very grateful for help in identifying these birds.

Photo 1: Taken at Selous. My feeling is a compact weaver but according to my field guide (Stevenson and Fanshaw ; Birds of East Africa) are not present here.

Photo 2 : Selous. Perhaps a winding cisticola. Had a curious behavior of walking around and jumping straight up into the air.

Photo 3 : Tarangire car park. The main bird in question is the mating pair (and single one back right). They seem to be Somali Sparrows but again are out of range according to the book. The larger sparrow is either a grey headed or Swahili sparrow, and the other smaller species Chestnut Sparrow.

Photo 4 : Not sure what the bird to the right of the (suspected) Somali sparrows is. I was wondering whether it might be female red headed weaver but not sure about the bill colour.

Photo 5 : Taken at Serengeti but haven't a clue

Thanks, Marc
Off the top of anyone's head are there any shoe billed storks in selous or endemics you must get there? Tia dd

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back