• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon - Namibia (1 Viewer)

Trevor Hardaker

This falcon was photographed around Luderitz in southern Namibia yesterday and is causing a little bit of a debate locally as to its identity. I did not personally see the bird, but have just had this one photo passed on to me for comment, so it’s all we have to work with here I’m afraid...

Would love to hear your opinions on what you believe this bird to be – it is either an Amur or a Red-footed Falcon, either species which would be out of range in the area that it was recorded in.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Trevor

Attachments

• falcon-luderitz.jpg
    falcon-luderitz.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 106
Also just wanted to ask that you please provide reasons why you are saying it is one as opposed to the other...

Thanks for your input KGS...

Yes sorry, makes thing more interesting. I think it is a Amur because of general coloration. All dark markings are cold grey, no warmer brown tones.

I do see warm brown tones, and also a rather pale forehead and no barring on flanks.
Looks much more like a juv. Red-footed Falcon than Amur to me.

I don't see much of a pale forehead on this bird, an still is in favour of the Amur alternative, Juvenile for sure, so you should not expect any flank-barring

I think they are a very tricky pair at this age personally and consideration should be taken into how the light conditions affect the overall tones, not easy with one image. With all due respects to both of the above posters, more images are needed, and even then, you are likely to get a split camp. Obviously any flight images should help.
For interest, there are a number of juveniles on OBC that show varying degrees of warmth , paler and darker foreheads depending on location, angles etc, have a scroll - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=1&Bird_ID=1064&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Altough first impression in my eyes and on my monitor was of an Amur. I see no pale forehead but a coplete greyish forehead but with a very slight brownish hue at the rear behing the eye. An overall colder greyer bird. Seems like a few barred flank feathers on the right side but difficult to judge for sure from this pic. I very much agree with Andrew on his caution.

An old plate here:

http://tinyurl.com/c7rvozv

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back