• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk Id's needed - USA (1 Viewer)

greatbear

1. Taken in Florida November 2011 - Northern Harrier???
2. Taken in Yellowstone National Park in May 2008 - Red-tailed???

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6910-Edit.jpg
    IMG_6910-Edit.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 103
  • _IMG_2421.jpg
    _IMG_2421.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 129
Second bird is a Red-tailed Hawk (rufous form of the western subsp. calcurus).

This bird is way to massive and bulky for a Red-shouldered. and the breast pattern is different, and the wings are plain brown (checkered black and white in adult Red-shouldered)
Andy

Second bird is a Red-tailed Hawk (rufous form of the western subsp. calcurus).

This bird is way to massive and bulky for a Red-shouldered. and the breast pattern is different, and the wings are plain brown (checkered black and white in adult Red-shouldered)
Andy

Agree

That chest pattern looks off for a Red-tailed Hawk. Anybody think that it looks like it could be a Ferruginous Hawk? It's a big heavy bird. Not a clear view of the gape but it looks long.

Bob

I believe chest pattern is pretty typical for calurus ssp Red-tailed Hawk. As for Ferruginous, they're supposed to be feathered down the tarsi, which on this bird, seem to be pretty naked.

I agree on Red-tailed Hawk for the second bird (I had to consult my field guides, the breast color is quite different from the eastern forms that I am familiar with). Ferruginous would have a clean white breast, among other features already mentioned.

My problem with this being a Red-tailed Hawk is that it is not one of the darker morph variations of the Western RTH B.j.calurus and so a belly band should be readily visible on it. I agree that the lack of readily visible feathered Tarsi is a problem on whether it is a FH or not. Doesn't look like a Swainsons either so I guess I will have to go with the default North American Buteo, the RTH.

BTW, Ferruginous Hawks can have heavily streaked breasts and there are dark rufous morph FHs also pictured in Wheeler's Western Edition.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back