• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors and Gull, South Sinai/Red Sea, Egypt (1 Viewer)

punkskaphil

I have a selection of shots taken this week whilst on a diving holiday in the Red Sea. Some of the photos are of the same bird. The first photo was taken from my hotel in Sharm el-Sheikh - a group of four or five circling overhead. The others are all from the dive boat as it went around the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula between the Thistlegorm wreck and Ras Muhammad National Park. I was staggered by the numbers of birds I was seeing, especially these raptors which mainly seemed to be crossing from Saudi Arabia to Egypt, often in flocks of c.40. My thoughts on the gull are White-eyed, and Osprey for the perching bird in the last photo. I have no idea on the others.

Attachments

• DSC04568.jpg
    DSC04568.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC04637.jpg
    DSC04637.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC04651.jpg
    DSC04651.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC04655.jpg
    DSC04655.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC04664.jpg
    DSC04664.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Second set...

Attachments

• DSC04665.jpg
    DSC04665.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC04683.jpg
    DSC04683.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC04684.jpg
    DSC04684.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC04696.jpg
    DSC04696.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC04701.jpg
    DSC04701.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 107
My guesses would be as follows:
1 - Buzzard sp probably Long Legged
2 - Pallas's Gull
3-10 - Honey Buzzards
11 - Osprey

I think long legged buzzard on the 1st shot, white eyed gull and osprey as you suspected and the rest honey buzzards.

1 - From left: a) blob; b) maybe honey buzzard; c) maybe common/steppe buzzard.
2 - White-eyed gull.
3-10 - Honey buzzards.
11 - Osprey.

1 - From left: a) blob; b) maybe honey buzzard; c) maybe common/steppe buzzard.
2 - White-eyed gull.
3-10 - Honey buzzards.
11 - Osprey.

Agree. But I'd say:

1-b) most definetely Honey buzzard ; c) Common buzzard, most probably vulpinus

Agree 3-10 lovely Honey-buzzards!
Also agree 11 Osprey and 2 White-eyed Gull (black bib) but I thought right-hand two birds in 1 look OK for Long-legged Buzzard (but not certain).

Agree. But I'd say:

1-b) most definetely Honey buzzard ; c) Common buzzard, most probably vulpinus
I won't go in on Steppe vs Long-legged from these pictures (though I might lean towards Long-legged if forced ;-) but why Honey? Doesn't fit at all for me.

For picture 1 that is. 3-10 are Honey for sure.

Hi Ola,

Well, regarding the Buteo in pic 1 my comment was probably too self-confident and I can easily concede it might be a LLB (though I still favour Steppe on shape, rather brown colour, black carpal not that obvious).

On the other hand, I don't see what the other bird can be except a HB. The view of a whitish raptor on migration with solid black carpal, rather long wings with narrow hand looks rather typical of HB.
See what I mean (?): http://www.arkive.org/european-honey-buzzard/pernis-apivorus/image-G49638.html

Of course the shot is distant, and it's very difficult to make out some plumage detail so one has to have faith in his impression...nothing really scientific I am afraid...

See also this thread with comparable images: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=156298&highlight=honey+buzzard
See Andrea's comment at the end...

Edit: some more images showing the birds of pic 1 under different angle Phil?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info and comments.

@Tib78: I'm just going out shopping, but when I return I'll see if I have some better shots of the same birds.

Hi Ola,

Well, regarding the Buteo in pic 1 my comment was probably too self-confident and I can easily concede it might be a LLB (though I still favour Steppe on shape, rather brown colour, black carpal not that obvious).

On the other hand, I don't see what the other bird can be except a HB. The view of a whitish raptor on migration with solid black carpal, rather long wings with narrow hand looks rather typical of HB.
See what I mean (?): http://www.arkive.org/european-honey-buzzard/pernis-apivorus/image-G49638.html

Of course the shot is distant, and it's very difficult to make out some plumage detail so one has to have faith in his impression...nothing really scientific I am afraid...

See also this thread with comparable images: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=156298&highlight=honey+buzzard
See Andrea's comment at the end...

Edit: some more images showing the birds of pic 1 under different angle Phil?
Mm! Looking again I do see what you mean. Would be nice indeed to see more pictures of this one. B :)

Hmm, new images, especially bottom right bird in second image down, begin to look better for Honey now. This particular bird has Honey wing shape, with narrower hand, and couple of other seem to show female Honey shaded secondaries.
(pause) OK, if you enlarge that particular bird you can see the tail bars!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back