• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What noise does a Fox make? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Last night I couldn't sleep kept tossing & turning until I heard this noise sounded like some sort of animal it wasn't a dog or cat it sounded like arf arf arf I had no idea what it was so could it of been a fox? :eek!: it's not the 1st time Ive heard it

Hi Euan,

The normal fox noise that we hear around these parts is a sort of screaming bark - very spooky if it happens close to you.

Have to say that we tend to hear it most during the Spring/Summer months - may be due to the breeding season, or maybe that we're more likely to be sleeping with the windows open!!

Not sure if they may have a range of different calls.

All the best... Ruby

Ruby said:
The normal fox noise that we hear around these parts is a sort of screaming bark - very spooky if it happens close to you.
Exactly.

Ruby said:
Have to say that we tend to hear it most during the Spring/Summer months
Same voice can be heard any time a year.

Ruby said:
Not sure if they may have a range of different calls.
I have heard the same thing from Barents coast to Mediterranean islands.

Well according to a character in the 'Please sir' film (whose name I can't remember) the noise a fox makes is "BARK BARK" while a baby fox goes "bark bark"

David FG said:
I believe that 'spooky' sound is the vixen - dog foxes do indeed bark.

Yes indeed, the vixens sound almost like a scream whilst dog foxes bark albeit not particularly loudly. "Arf arf" could be an adult badger or fox contact calling. Juvenile badgers and adults in play have a sound that is described as "whickering", which is a cross between a squeak and a snarl.

Ian

SimonC said:
Well according to a character in the 'Please sir' film (whose name I can't remember) the noise a fox makes is "BARK BARK" while a baby fox goes "bark bark"

that was dennis the soft,dreamy country boy...played by?

jay

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back