Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 16th February 2017, 18:06   #1
Stonefaction
Yes!

Birds of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East : A Photographic Guide

Anybody else bought this (by Jiguet & Audevard)? My pre-ordered copy arrived today and I do like the look of it. One of the things that I'm liking about it is the inclusion of introduced species (such as the Parrotbills in Italy, the Leiothrix in France/Spain, Weavers and Bishops from Portugal) as well as a few 'new' birds that I haven't heard of elsewhere - "Ambiguous" Reed Warbler and "Thick Billed" Reed Bunting to name a couple. Also photos of 'Mediterranean' Shag which I haven't seen anywhere else.

Dimensions are very similar to the Collins and assuming that it is accurate, it looks to be a nice companion to the Collins. It isn't as comprehensive with regards plumage/age of every species as WildGuides Britain's Birds book, but there still appears to be plenty of info/photos crammed in.
Old Thursday 16th February 2017, 21:49   #2
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
.............One of the things that I'm liking about it is the inclusion of introduced species (such as the Parrotbills in Italy, the Leiothrix in France/Spain, Weavers and Bishops from Portugal) as well as a few 'new' birds that I haven't heard of elsewhere - "Ambiguous" Reed Warbler and "Thick Billed" Reed Bunting to name a couple. Also photos of 'Mediterranean' Shag which I haven't seen anywhere else.

The inclusion of those introduced species may well be the decisive point for me to buy the book. They are all too often treated with neglect. Thanks for the info!
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 16th February 2017, 23:45   #3
John Cantelo

Good to hear it's out but I fear that my local bookshops are unlikely to carry it. Looking at pages posted of the original French version (http://www.delachauxetniestle.com/ou.../9782603021675) it seems to be better than other Europe-wide photo guides. However, the Wildguides book still seems to me to be miles ahead in terms of layout, design and comprehensive coverage so I'd be inclined to hold out for the promised 'European' version of that guide .... who am I kidding, I'll buy it for sure since I'm an addict!

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 00:10   #4
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
who am I kidding, I'll buy it for sure since I'm an addict!

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th February 2017, 08:16   #5
Stonefaction
Yes!

Having bought the French language Rare Birds book by the same duo, I was never in any doubt as to whether or not I'd be buying this one, when I saw it was coming out (I'd almost bought the French language version on the strength of the Rare book). I agree about the layout and comprehensive coverage of Britain's Birds being superior. The coverage of plumage variation etc in the French book is certainly less comprehensive but still decent. Comparing it to the Rare book, there are less photos used (not surprising given an extra 400 species) and some of the photo choices do seem slightly unusual but for a photo guide with such wide coverage it certainly brings something extra to the party with the coverage of the introduced species.

Introduced species and/or escapes in the book that I haven't seen (that I remember - some mentioned in back section of Collins) in other European fieldguides - Black Swan, White Faced Whistling Duck, Fulvous Whistling Duck, Reeve's Pheasant, California Quail, Northern Bobwhite, Erckel's Francolin, Pink Backed Pelican, Indian Pond Heron, Chinese Pond Heron, Sacred Ibis, Lesser/Chilean/American Flamingo, Fischer's Lovebird, Monk Parakeet, Red Billed Leiothrix, Vinous Throated Parrotbill, House Crow, Common Myna, Crested Myna, Indian Silverbill, African Silverbill, Tricoloured Munia, Common Waxbill, Red Avadavat, Iago Sparrow, Black Headed Weaver, Yellow Crowned Bishop. There may be some I've missed but that's the bulk of them.

While compiling the above list I did notice at least 1 omission that is in the Rare book - Sulphur Bellied Warbler. There are quite a number of African species which have been recorded once or twice in the book, that I haven't seen elsewhere also (other than the Rare book).

John, I bought the book mainly because I'm addicted too.
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 15:28   #6
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Re Pink Backed Pelican: I know this has been discussed in the (way) past: how common is it really as a captive bird vs the potential as a genuine vagrant? I remember a discussion with a friend who had not gone to see one of these on the thought it would be an escape -- but he later found out that a couple of month before there had been a genuine flux north in Africa compared to where they normally lived and that it was supposedly rare in captivity.

Niels

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th February 2017, 15:57   #7
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefaction View Post
................... I bought the book mainly because I'm addicted too.
Talking about addicts, I could not resist either!
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 17th February 2017, 20:56   #8
John Cantelo

Text & some plates of the English version can be seen here - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Friday 17th February 2017, 21:12   #9
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Text & some plates of the English version can be seen here - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...page&q&f=false
Depending on where in the world you are ...

Niels

Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 20:11   #10
John Cantelo

Nipped into town to buy a copy from my local Waterstones - despite being a few pounds more I like to buy books locally when I can rather than just online - and naturally they didn't have a copy on the shelves nor in their warehouse. That's the 4th time in a row they've not had wildlife/bird books I've wanted (all from mainstream publishers) - no wonder they're unable to compete with the internet!

Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 21:31   #11
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
Re Pink Backed Pelican: I know this has been discussed in the (way) past: how common is it really as a captive bird vs the potential as a genuine vagrant? I remember a discussion with a friend who had not gone to see one of these on the thought it would be an escape -- but he later found out that a couple of month before there had been a genuine flux north in Africa compared to where they normally lived and that it was supposedly rare in captivity.

Niels
Well, it was in my Heinzel, Fitter and Parslow Collins as a wild bird in Egypt in previous times, so presume it was thought to occur there ... or is that not what you meant?
Old Saturday 18th February 2017, 23:22   #12
njlarsen
Opus Editor

It was brought up in a previous post in a list of
Quote:
Introduced species and/or escapes in the book
I was asking if that was correct to place it in that list or if it would be better to place it in a list of natural vagrants. Edit: in both cases, it is good that it is included in the book!

Niels

Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 08:03   #13
Maffong

There's a fairly large population oft free-flying birds in southern France with at least 20 birds roaming the area of Narbonne. Friends also Bad a Great White Pelican together with those.
I'm not sure though if they reproduce outside the reserve africaine and how far they roam

Maffong
Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 18:55   #14
Stonefaction
Yes!

Niels, what the book says about Pink-Backed Pelicans is "Small pelican of African Origin. Escapes and free-flying birds in S France. .....". The other 2 Pelican species also mention possible escapes in the text too. Also the list was my own compilation, rather than the authors, so the inclusion in it was solely down to me (though mostly based on the species text).

Last edited by Stonefaction : Sunday 19th February 2017 at 19:06.
Old Sunday 19th February 2017, 19:56   #15
njlarsen
Opus Editor

And there seems to be more escaped birds around than I imagined. Thanks for the info!

Niels

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: