• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free Weekend - Beijing or Shanghai? (1 Viewer)

CJF

United States
I will be in China on business the second week in November with a free weekend between the two cities. Looking for advice which City to spend the weekend in with better opportunity for birding at this time of year.

Hi,

Its bit of a bargain.
check birdingbeijing.com for Terry's latest updates. They have some stunning birds recently including staggering counts of Baikal Teals n few Baer's Pochards. Loads of wintering stuff have started to arrive as well.
In Shanghai, migration is hitting tail end but has some winter specialities. Cranes (Common and Hooded) has just arrived plus thousands of waterfowl and loads of wintering Thrushes.

Endemic Reed Parrotbill at Chongming in Shanghai along with the migrant waterbirds may be a good drawcard.

If there's a cold front coming through you might even consider Beidaihe for active passage of cranes, storks, and raptors for the Lotus Hills + plus passerine passage (thrushes, chats, buntings) and Relict and other gulls.

Cheers
Mike

My office is setting up a visit to Chongming Island outside Shanghai and Dongtan and Xisha Wetlands. Does that fit with your recommendation(s)?

Based on Bird Forum threads I purchased Mark Brazil's book and Birds of China, Southeast China including Shanghai. This is. My fourth visit but first where I will have time to do some birding.

Best

CJF

Yes, Chongming's Dongtan Wetland park and its boardwalk is the best place to see Reed Parrotbill. Probably, in two weeks you might be able to get Reed Buntings and Chinese Penduline Tits. However, the waterfowl are very few over the years as the reserve is going under some rehabilitation work but you would be able to see wintering birds like Falcated Ducks and Common Mergansers.
The Cranes on the other hand are nowhere near to the board walk. Please check the attached map for the info.

Attachments

• Dongtan.jpg
    Dongtan.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 74
You have been most helpful. I am now more amenable to the 15 hour flight and business meetings knowing that birding awaits.

Best

CJF

Hi CJF
I suggest u just hang around Dongtan and cancel Xisha.
Xisha is far from Dongtan and u wont see much different.(Xi means west,and Dong means east.From east end of Chongming Island to west end it's more than 100km).
Xisha is so far to the west that the water is even fresh.Thus the food in the water and the birds feed on the food are quite common ones inland while Dongtan provides more varieties.

Thanks all for the advice. I ended up spending the weekend in Shanghai. It was a poor air quality week in Beijing. I also spent a day each in Changchun and Tangshan.

I spent an afternoon at the Shanghai Botanical Garden and a day at Dongstan Wetland Park. After not seeing the blue sky for over a week these two days were enjoyed. Although lappropriately light rain fell at the Wetland Park.

What amazed me was the number of Park goers but none with binoculars. I'm still reviewing my notes but partial list:

Daurian Redstart
Crested Myna
Light vented Bulbul
Long-tailed Shrike
Common Moorhen
Black Swan
Mallard
Little Grebe
Black-capped Night Heron
Grey Heron
Intermediate Egret
Azure Winged Magpie
Eurasian Tree Sparrow
Barn Swallow
Great Tit

Yeah, I think the smog is the reason why Shanghai is the better choice during winter.

As for your list, I assume you meant Black-crowned Night Heron? And "Great Tit" should be Japanese Tit (they were split a few years ago. Great Tit is now the European, yellow-bellied form).

Yes to both of your points. I have to say it was a bit of a challenge with some of the new birds. Especially so well hidden in the reeds at Dongstan. I definitely need to do more studying before my next visit.

I'm very appreciative of birdforum and the members help on trips like this.

Best

CJF

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back