• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

injured bird id help - brooklyn, USA (1 Viewer)

lookah

hello. my wife and i found this bird on the sidewalk outside our building today and have been keeping an eye on it (it's in a box in our home right now). using some search engines online i think it may be a "hermit thrush" but the stripes on the head are throwing me off. part of the reason for id'ing it is to figure out if it's a juvenile (seems a bit big to us) and is thus still learning to fly. there are no obvious signs of injury other than it not flying

thank you,

luca

Attachments

• IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3327.JPG
    IMG_3327.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 109
It is an Ovenbird. They migrate this time of year. It is not a nestling likely. Try to release it as soon as it shows sighns of recovering. Birds fly into building walls at night and get stunned and pass out.

Hi luca I see this is your first post, so may I welcome you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We have guidelines for you here. You'll find a section there for helping injured birds.

Good luck and let us know the outcome please

D

Hi there and a warm welcome to you.

The only two Ovenbirds I have come in contact with were the result of window strikes as the windows reflect images of trees and bushes etc. Both, thankfully, were able to fly off after a bit of rest so get it back outside as soon as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back